Thread: Winwood

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winwood

What a sweet Firebird there Steve!! I bet the 3 P90 version really rocked!! Those days seem so long ago now.

Post Thanks / Like

I will take Tesla's version off of Real to Reel any day
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, Steve Winwood is a damn fine player, which was overshadowed by being a contemporary of Hendrix, Clapton and others of the era.

Love this tune.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Kazz,

What is the Tesla' version?

Kat,

He is fine player, he sounds good at his age at Crossroads too.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve has been a major player int he music industry for years. Spencer Davis group, Traffic, Blind Faith and the many years of solo ventures.
    In some of his albums he wrote produced, did vocals and played all the instruments. Multi tracking at it's best. I love the Traffic Album and it is one of my favourite all time albums. Welcome to the Canteen is a Classic album.
    I was very happy to see him at the last Crossroads festival, and was really amazed at how good of a player he was. I though he was more of a keyboard, player and singer than a guitarist.
    Sorry but nobody does Dear Mr. Fantasy like Steve.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    "...overshadowed by being a contemporary of Hendrix..."
    Check out the keyboards on 'Voodoo Chile'. That's Stevie & his Hammond B3
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

I think I caught an article/radio interview where SW explained he was GASing for a neighbor's vintage Tele and managed a trade of some sort..!

Dude has a nice farm estate... rolling hills, sheep, etc.

Voodoo Chile:
    SW and EC, with no other band member, played the tune at a Madison Sq Garden show recently (seen on PBS last year). The rendition of the tune projected a very special aura, one could feel the physical link with JH via SW... Very dramatic feel, at least for me, that day.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I didn't know that about Voodoo Chile!! Veddy intedesting. I will have to get that song cued up and listen for it now.

I wish I could have seen that poodlesrule!

Post Thanks / Like

The dude is totally underrated, IMO. I thought he gave Clapton a run for his money on the Crossroads DVD. Plus he's a great keys player AND an awesome singer. How unfair is that?
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an interesting clip of the two at the Hollywood Bowl with a close up of Claptons fingerboard. Not sure if I care for the lady singers on this tune but a good job none the less.

Thanks for the info on Madison Square poodlesrule, I found a utube to it but it did not last as long as this one.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Vid M. Only reinforces what I though of this guy. Totally underated as one of the Icons of rock. Oh and he pays Bass as well. My God!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love the early 1970s Hyde Park thing with SW and EC (and Ginger Baker?) that shows up on PBS once in a while.
    Windwood, 18 or 19 or so at the time was just soaring, fantastic voice, where EC looks like he just rolled out of bed..!

Saw Windwood live here in 2008, Boston Berklee Perf Ctr (good seats, yummy!). He incorporates a lot of Latin/Brazilian rhythms in his current music. Of note, was the band lead guitar, Jose Neto, quite awesome, power, "percussive" style (for my lack of better way to describe it).
    Less golf, more saxophone