Thread: Line 6 Spider Valve MkII 112

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Line 6 Spider Valve MkII 112

This amp is versatile. 16 amp models, and we are talking all-valve, Bogner design. 2 x 12ax7 preamp tubes, and 2 x 6L6 power amps.

40 Watts and a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.

There's a whackload of preset in this amp, and they are often quite good, I must say.

There's a manual mode, and there are channels where you can save all your sounds. There is an optional shortboard for controlling it all with your feet.

Lots of interesting amp models. Get in front of sparkling clean tones inspired by- a Hiwatt(R) Custom 100, syrupy smooth drive tones inspired by- a mix of a '65 Marshall(R) JTM-45, a '58 Fender(R) Bassman(R) and a '63 Fender(R) Vibroverb, British pop/rock tones inspired by- a Vox(R) AC-30 Top Boost, high-gain onslaughts by- a Mesa/Boogie(R) Dual Rectifier(R)and a Diezel(R) Herbert, Class A crunch inspired by- a Divided by 13 9/15, classic Class A breakup inspired by- an Orange(R) AD-30, and so on.

You can store every gig's tones with 128 user-programmable presets.

I haven't learned all this amp can do. I'm kinda slow, as you know.

Here is my latest demo, showing what the first 8 amp models sound like.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure are a lot of tone varieties. They all sound pretty good. What I want to know though is what happens when you turn it up? Do the timbers remain consistent or does the character change as it gets loud? I'm interested in what it sounds like at the halfway mark and beyond.

Awesome demo by the way. Very professionally well done and sound quality is excellent.

PS. What strap is that?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for these Demo's Robert, very interesting amp indeed. It seems the MkII is a big improvement over the MkI. I'd also be interested in how it performs at gig volume and especially how well the models cut through in a mix with drums and bass.

If it does cut it at gig levels then the prospect of having 12 classic amps at your disposal at a gig is mouth watering indeed.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Robert...I agree with Spud, I have one of the Spider III 2X12's and it sounds crappy when cranked on stage, but for a studio session its ok...
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

The strap is from Planet Waves. Not bad, I like it, but I do prefer leather if I have a choice.

This amp sounds good when played loud, at least it does in my studio. One drawback I have found is that the volume jumps to very loud right away. Going from no volume to way too much volume is like turning the master volume a millimeter or two - a bit frustrating for practice.

I will be gigging this coming weekend, and I'll bring this amp out for this. Then I can tell you guys more about how the amp performed in a live setting.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video. I find myself listening more to your playing than comparing the sounds, so thanks for the great performances.

One question: Apart from the amp modeling options on this amp, would there be any benefit to an M13/M9 user plugging in to an amp like this, or is there a lot of overlap in the effect sounds?

Guitars: Takamine F-349, PRS Mira
    Pedals: Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler, Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Amp: VOX Valvetronix AD30VT, Ultrasound AG-50DS4

Post Thanks / Like

I am posting a high gain video of this amp later today.

The M9/M13 has more effects. This amp has many of the same effects though, and you can get a floorboard with it, so you can switch between presets and control parameters with the foot pedal. This amp is a complete solution, where as the M9/M13 is great for those already have an amp and just want a bunch of effects.

The amp sounds are created by combining Line 6 technology with Bogner tube amp design technology - don't ask me exactly how though, because I have no idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djmcconnell
    Nice video. I find myself listening more to your playing than comparing the sounds, so thanks for the great performances.

One question: Apart from the amp modeling options on this amp, would there be any benefit to an M13/M9 user plugging in to an amp like this, or is there a lot of overlap in the effect sounds?
    It looks like the Spider is designed mostly for the amp models. The effects are pretty limited if you look at the controls. As I own an m13, I'm pretty sure that paired up with this spider would be killer!!

I'd like to know if the 212 model is stereo at all. I've been messing with a stereo guitar rig and LOVE it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's not an M13, but one thing that's new with this version is the deep editing options of effects.

"Every Spider Valve MkII effect is fully adjustable up to 7 parameters deep, including pre- and post-amplifier routing. Sculpt your delays, mods, reverbs, pitch effects, and more with unparalleled control."

There is also an option called "Spider FX Infusion" which will more than double the amount of Smart FX in the Spider Valve MkII. This will provide 28 additional overdrives, compressors, delays, reverbs, mods, and wahs.

Check out theh details at http://line6.com/spidervalvemkii/effects.html

The Smart Harmony and Pitch Glide are very cool effects.

"Smart Harmony is our first intelligent pitch shifter. It's fast-tracking and easy to use. Harmonize using major, minor, pentatonic, whole tone, and other types of scales. (Don't worry, you don't need to know music theory to use Smart Harmony).

To get the most out of Pitch Glide, connect an FBV™ MkII foot controller. Use the foot controller's pedal to smoothly shift your tone up or down to any interval within a four-octave range. Calibrate the effect to semitones, or to 10-cent increments to create cool chorus/detuning effects. "

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, I really like what you get out of the Spider Valve. I once have tested the Mark I of this series and I was not impressed at all with it, but I hear improvement with Mark II. Players like you sound good on every guitar and every amp, you have created your own personal style. For newer players such amps are "dangerous" because they let you operate ion a certain radius only and it get difficult to get sounds with character.

I think Line6 did good with Spider Valve MarkII. This amp is pretty versatile and is your allround weapon for every occasion. I only wish Bogner had some more influence on the sound.

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)