Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Plankton - What a great band!

Thread: Plankton - What a great band!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plankton - What a great band!

Wow - did anyone of you guys ever hear something of a I think swedish band called Plankton? I can not believe what I hear....those guys have such a great sound, only work with vintage stuff and record most of their songs at home in their living room!

Here's a cool link, where you can listen to and download free MP3s of cool guitar oriented music. Among those you will find several different Plankton songs.

http://www.grooveyardrecords.com/mp3.html

The band's link is:
    http://www.plankton.nu/music.html

Lots of free music.

I am still impressed of what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of them before, but I like what I hear..
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine from Sweden turned me on to them a year or two ago! Awesome stuff! I gotta see if i have any of their albums.
    Main Rig - Reverend Wolfman > Korg Pitchblack tuner >Vox Clyde Wah > MXR HW Script Phase 90 > MXR 108 Fuzz > Diaz Texas Ranger > Nova Drive > VL Analog Chorus > ModTone Analog Delay > Vox Night Train > 60's Vox 2x12 (Scumback M75 and Hellatone 30)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ya! Pickadoll rocks! Or should I say funks? Baboon rocks. Great stuff.

I also noticed that the label Grooveyard Records also has Randy Hansen. Another awesome player. When Eddie Van Halen was asked who he liked Randy Hansen and Alan Holdsworth were mentioned. I always wondered what happened to Randy. Such talent.

Grooveyard Records has it goin' on!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

F.Y.I

On the Grooveyard Records site you can download a full length MP3 from each album giving you almost 40 new songs to listen to.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    F.Y.I

On the Grooveyard Records site you can download a full length MP3 from each album giving you almost 40 new songs to listen to.

I have downloaded all of them some moths ago - still a very good CD to listen to when riding long distances!

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh I like that...save page as, save page as, save page as... Like Jimi75 says it is good to listen to while traveling especially!

M29

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice to see some love for Plankton!
    Sorry for the dead-thread-bump, but since the last post, Plankton have released a further two albums, which I feel it is my duty to inform y'all of!

The first (self-titled) album was a retro-jammish affair, taking all the things we loved about 70s guitar, and pumping the album full of it, with a unique take on the traditional rock song styles.
    The second (Humble Colossus) tightened up on the composition side, without sacrificing any of the awesome chops.

Near the end of 2006 though, they released "3", and I have never heard anything remotely like it. It seriously felt like a paradigm shift in guitar-music.

A week or so ago, they released their fourth (Ocean Tales), which, judging by the exponential increase in quality since their debut, I'm pretty sure can cure cancer. It is dangerously, absurdly good.

I don't think they're on Grooveyard Records anymore, so you have to send them an email and order it from the band direct, but mine arrived within a week, so.
    But don't take my word for it, 'cause their site contains two songs from the new album, and two songs from 3 (including Cosmic Bridge, an arguable best).

Bon Appetit.

Post Thanks / Like

Some seriously good guitar work there.
    Thanks for the bump, I'd missed this completely. Great musicians!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I have both of Plankton's albums......love'em!
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

I also noticed that the label Grooveyard Records also has Randy Hansen. Another awesome player. When Eddie Van Halen was asked who he liked Randy Hansen and Alan Holdsworth were mentioned. I always wondered what happened to Randy. Such talent.
    As of a couple of years ago, Randy was still playing shows. I haven't seen him in almost 20 years, but I remember him putting on quite the Hendrix tribute. He's a Washington State native, I believe. I saw him in Bellingham, Washington, and I'm pretty sure the last announcement for a show that I saw was also in Bellingham. I didn't realize he was that well known.

Just listened to some of the Plankton stuff. Wow. Amazing. I love it.

-Sean
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I've got all three albums plus the Rare Tracks album. Love their music...
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Who ever is in charge of album cover design has a great eye.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

I always wondered what happened to Randy. Such talent.
    Few years back he and some other monster players were finishing up a tribute album to Frank Marino.

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Hercy B. Goode, I put in an order for (Ocean Tales) today.

M