Thread: Quitting Smoking

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Plank. I ditched them myself about 2 years ago. During that 2 years there have been only 4 occasions I've had a ciggy, and all of them involved copious amounts of booze. Not that I'm offering that as an excuse or anything, I'm totally cool with my progress.

There's a million of us ex-smokers with a million ideas on how to do it I'm sure, but for me I made it through the use of patches.

I was expecting cravings for ciggies, but what I actually got (during withdrawal I mean) were mood swings. Took me a few days to catch on even. Right about the time I'd usually be downstairs having a durry with guys from work I'd find myself blowing up at stupid tiny things and getting all angry at stuff. Once I worked out I was being a psycho, I picked up a couple of boxes of patches and WOW did they help. I used the strongest ones and apart from a bit of a buzz for the first half an hour or so I had a nice level mood all day (relatively speaking). I used them for maybe 3 months and then all done.

I wont lie to ya though. Even 2 years down the track I love the smell, and on the rare occasion I've had one, I expected them to taste all disgusting after being away from them, but they were not, they were awesome.

As much as I vehemently despised the banning of ciggies from my favorite rock venues at the time. (I often snickered bitterly at the militant NS'ers who then complained that the bars stunk of beer, BO and puke. Wake Up! Thats what they ALWAYS smelled like, it's just our smoke covered it all up for you with one generic pong!) These days it really does make it MUCH easier to quit when you actually have to make an effort to go outside to smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is not going to be easy...................and I'll never loose the craving.

But the time has come............................and I intend to make it stick.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I quit about four years ago, cold turkey. Glad I did. I really knew I had kicked the habit when I took a drag from my wife's cig a couple years ago, and it tasted HORRIBLE. Good luck!