Thread: Would you recommend a Peavey Windsor half stack?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you recommend a Peavey Windsor half stack?

I have a chance to trade for a Peavey Windosr half stack for my Line 6 Flextone III XL. I have only heard it on-line and briefly during a guitar lesson well over a year ago.

So fellow Fretters if you own one or have given it a good demo would you recommend the Peavey Windsor half stack.

I am hoping for a poor man's Marshall sound out of the amp.
    Also, is the amp biased too loud for good low volume level usage since most of the time it will be played as I sit in my family room.
    I am not worried about the cleans from this amp since I can always just use my Fender DeVille for cleans.

Thanks in advance as always for your honest opinions guys/gals.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a great sounding amp, but yeah, it's loud. It won't sound as you want it at "bedroom volume" (whatever that means).
    I got some killer old school rock tone out of the Windsor.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, a 100 watt tube amph is WAY too much for a family room amph, unless you use an attenuator. Even then, you may not get much of the tone you're after.

I don't know if I would do the trade... Instead I might look at acquiring the Blackstar 5 watter, or maybe the Marshall 5 watter at a later date. Also, the Jet City has a great tone as well, as well as the Egnater 20 watter. Peavey also makes a 20 watt version of the Windsor that has a "power sponge," it's own attenuator that makes it much more desirable as a home amph...

Is there anything wrong with your Flextone? Those are seriously versatile amphs and sound great. With the shortboard it's like having a whole rack in a box.

Half stacks look cool, and can sound great. But, they are heavy and hard to move around. IMHO, they are only good if you're playing out at pretty good size venues.

Good luck with the decision, and let us know how it all shakes out!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    IMO, a 100 watt tube amph is WAY too much for a family room amph, unless you use an attenuator. Even then, you may not get much of the tone you're after.
    This is true for many 100 watt amps, however, it's not true for my Marshall JVM 410H. It is the amp that gives me the best tones at the lowest volume. It's weird, but Marshall did something very right with this preamp and master volume design. It's my loudest amp, but it's also the amp that sounds the best at whisper volumes. Go figure.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Robert and Kat regarding the Windsor. I came close to buying one, but in a 10'x11' room I would have been wasting my money. Personally I went with the Blackheart which I find perfect for my needs. There are other options, just pointing out what I ended up getting.

As for Robert's comment about the Marshall, I have never heard one, so I would take his word on his view
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I have one. It's really too much amp. rather plain sounding but I like it enough to keep it.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's one on CL that might need some work for $125. I don't know what I'd do with a 100 watt tube head, so I must resist the urge.

But I have tubes, capacitors, resistors and a soldering iron...

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1689914188.html

Post Thanks / Like

I decided one tube amp that i can not crank past 2 or 3 is enough.
    I was temped but when its all said in done what I really need is a good 15 to 30 watt tube amp. The Tweaker, Jet City, or Classic 30 head my short list.
    But it is hard to find the 1st 2 in stock anywhere to test drive.

Patience my son is what I keep telling myself.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've been way gone a long long time

MAXI,

If you're interested, I have a Peavey Windsor Studio 20w combo (w onboard Power Sponge [attenuator]) that I've used less than 20 hours that I'll let ya have for $250.00 + whatever shipping costs. I paid $399.99 new - street price. MSRP is $499.99.

Let me know.

****By way of explanation for my absence from thefret to the entire community: I've been very busy for months helping my oldest son get his third business off the ground and playing guitar, as well as buying, trading and selling guits and amps to end up w what you now see in my new signature. I've tried to keep up w reading thefret sporadically, and finally have a bit of time to log-in and participate. Happy to be back, for today at least!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    I decided one tube amp that i can not crank past 2 or 3 is enough.
    I was temped but when its all said in done what I really need is a good 15 to 30 watt tube amp. The Tweaker, Jet City, or Classic 30 head my short list.
    But it is hard to find the 1st 2 in stock anywhere to test drive.

Patience my son is what I keep telling myself.

Good choices, and well thought out. 15 to 30 watts is plenty for the house (maybe still too loud), but giggable. It's a good compromise, IMO.

@Robert: That's good information! Marshall is doing some varied and interesting things these days, aren't they?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    MAXI,

If you're interested, I have a Peavey Windsor Studio 20w combo (w onboard Power Sponge [attenuator]) that I've used less than 20 hours that I'll let ya have for $250.00 + whatever shipping costs. I paid $399.99 new - street price. MSRP is $499.99.

Let me know.

That is a great deal but until I get a chance to test drive the tweaker and jet city I'll hold put. bujt will keep that in mine for sure.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins: