Thread: Zoom R-16 anyone?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Indeed - it is an AWESOME piece of gear for the price, so far I have only praise for the thingy. I just recorded drums for 3 songs with it...I'll post results when the demo is done for sure! It was very easy too - just leeched a click/backing track to the R16 from an USB stick and recorded 8 more tracks along with it, simply a breeze. It even also includes all the zoom effects, so you can record a dry track and use zoom guitar FX and drives etc. after-the fact non-destructively in real time. Brilliant, even if I don't need that feature myself.

Well one thing is I must criticize - for very loud mics you need a buffer in front of it, as even on zero gain a strong mic can overload the inputs. Noticed that with bass amp D/I - just can't get the gain low enough to input, have to put a D/I box with -20db pad in between. But that's very minor.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Well one thing is I must criticize - for very loud mics you need a buffer in front of it, as even on zero gain a strong mic can overload the inputs. Noticed that with bass amp D/I - just can't get the gain low enough to input, have to put a D/I box with -20db pad in between. But that's very minor.
    One thing I noted is that it only has phantom power on input 5/6. I tend to go heavy on condenser mics but really it is simply not fair to criticize the specs at such a price. I guess I can tote along a preamp if necessary. Looking forward to hearing the demo.

For mobile recording I have an MBox (good sound quality but only two mics) and an Olympus LS-10 (Super compact. For sketching ideas and field recording). But this Zoom seems to have most everything I need...8 XLR inputs, fairly compact (+ no need for a laptop) and it's an interface AND control surface too?! And at a price $100 cheaper than I paid for my Olympus...

Just today I upgraded my Guitar Rig from 3 to 4 and bought an expansion pack for EZ Drummer to try to ease some serious GAS buildup. Oh yes, I also did the $800 upgrade for my Adobe production suite software. All of this TODAY. And now this. Thanks alot dee. The gas is now worse than ever...