Thread: Zoom R-16 anyone?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a good answer to that, but I was going to ask a similar question about the Zoom H2 or H4.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well to answer myself some...haven't tried the zoom with the band as of yet, but man, it's a FREAKING great tool. If I had had something like this way way back...

I'm totally blown away how quick&simple it is to create demos with this for instance.

I just spent literally 15 minutes and came up with a VERY nice sounding demo with a tremolo electric, acoustic and a bass plus a lead distorted guitar AND stereo vocals...with nothing but the R16 and an electric plugged in. Simply amazing.

Took me about 10 minutes first to figure out how the menus etc. work, but then it's simply put rec on to ch.1 and drop a modeler on it - you can either record the modeler or just listen to it and still record dry - and play. Select 2 channel, drop in a suitable modeler, do the same. Then finally turn on the internal stereo mic and sing over it.

And the sounds aren't bad at all. Normal Zoom sounds - similar to POD etc, quite useable.

And then, you can just drop in master FX, EQ, which include some really nice models too, and suddenly you have a demo the quality one could only dream about in the cassette era. And on top of it all, then you can just plug it to DAW and directly line up the tracks in Cubase and mix, add, whatever.

Plus it has metronome, tuner...don't even know all yet.

STRONGLY recommend it for anybody who wants to record ideas, make quick demos and whatnot. And then it will also work as an 8-in soundcard! What a package! And work with mere batteries! The only thing it doesn't have is a drum machine...very nice device indeed!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how I missed hearing about this unit. It looks amazingly good for the money (USD $300 here in Japan). Very compact as well. There's a good review from Sound on Sound here:
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep0...es/zoomr16.htm

Very nice indeed. Perhaps you could post something you recorded with it?