Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Sg V.s. Lp!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sg V.s. Lp!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I really love the looks on this one, even with the 490's on it (I like the 57's on my LP):

The 61 Reissues are really nice too.. and come with the 57's.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

I am tempted to make an offer on this one but I'd rather have the 60 s slim neck..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GIBSON-FADED-SG-S...item414c15600a
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

As I said before, the necks on the faded series are not that bad. They are between the early baseball bat, and the slim tapers 60 style. I found my friends a very comfortable guitar to play. Those open coils 490s do sound quite nice as well.
    His is a faded brown. I have seen some guys use Virtuoso polish on them and they really look amazing.
    This is a faded Studio done with the Virtuoso Polish (brand name), but you can get the idea.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    His is a faded brown. I have seen some guys use Virtuoso polish on them and they really look amazing.
    This is a faded Studio done with the Virtuoso Polish (brand name), but you can get the idea.
    Wow, that looks great with the polish!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

BCdon

Does the Zoot has a 50's or 60's profile neck?
    I am more partial to the 60's profile neck.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Wow, that looks great with the polish!
    I have seen some really sweet looking faded series guitars done with the polish. The treatment is pretty easy and and no stipping or painting required.
    I have seen a couple of Standard Fadeds done as well. They look like a different guitar. It seems the grain in the wood just pops out. Before the polish it just looked like an ordinary piece of mahogany.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

DUANE ON SLIDE FOR THE WIN.....................

http://yfrog.com/18imgp0096j

mine

http://yfrog.com/4zwhiskeystgrightj
    Last edited by mrmudcat; April 4th, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    BCdon

Does the Zoot has a 50's or 60's profile neck?
    I am more partial to the 60's profile neck.
    I wish I could tell you but I'm not sure. How do you tell them apart? It's more of a C-shape than D-shape if that's any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    That Zoot SG is cool....I like that one...the rainbow one looked like clown poop.
    Now, THAT was funny...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    Cream was long before I was rocking. LOL
    I know some of their music for sure but I was never clear when it Clapton or Beck playing on what songs.
    Beck was never part of Cream, so maybe I'm missing something. Are you thinking Yardbirds?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bek
    Beck was never part of Cream, so maybe I'm missing something. Are you thinking Yardbirds?
    AFAIK, Beck & Clapton never played together in the Yardbirds, either. But Beck and Jimmy Page did for a few months in 1966.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry...this thread is to SG heavy...I have to try and level the field...I have to vote for a Les Paul; the tone and sustain of the Historic reissues is to die for.....and believe me my wife has killed me many times....
    '09-59 RI, '08-58 RI, '06-56 RI (Goldtop), '06-56 RI (Bulliontop)[pasted in pic],'96 Standard

'09-59 RI (DaPra Burst)

gtrjoe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtrjoe
    Sorry...this thread is to SG heavy...I have to try and level the field...I have to vote for a Les Paul; the tone and sustain of the Historic reissues is to die for.....and believe me my wife has killed me many times....
    '09-59 RI, '08-58 RI, '06-56 RI (Goldtop), '06-56 RI (Bulliontop)[pasted in pic],'96 Standard

'09-59 RI (DaPra Burst)

gtrjoe
    There's no LP bashing going on here, I love LPs too. And man, what a collection of great guitars you have there!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I bet im drooling more than zman
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

There's no LP bashing going on here,
    ....Oh, I know - just having a little fun with my "addiction"

gtrjoe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Yea I bet im drooling more than zman
    Not much!
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    Well,...remember Eric Clapton's 'Fool' guitar? He recorded tons of Cream stuff with it...Derek Trucks still uses SG as his main axe...so does Robbie Krieger (the Doors)...George Harrison did the whole Revolver album with one....Tony Iommi invented heavy metal with one...Jerry Garcia's main guitar for years...remember Pete Townsend? The list goes on....
    Lest we forget Angus... most of those other guys have been seen playing other guitar (possible exception of Tony Iommi)... But, I can't recall ever having seen a picture of Mr. Young with another guitar other than an SG!
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Faded

I had a beloved faded Gibson SG I bought at GC's last Fourth of July sale for a little over five bills, discounts and coupon included in Rockville, Maryland. Had it in my hospital bed on the sixth for nine days at the National Cancer Institute for my third kidney cancer surgery and recovery; plugged up to a Vox AmpPlug Lead running into headphones. I had the blues, expressed my emotions with that axe and played a lot of blues straight from my soul.

Worthless nephew I took in when no one else would, fourty three year old bum, stole it from me about four months later along with my Fender Hwy One super strat, immediately placing him in my personal history - where he shall stay.

Got a beautiful American Std Strat and a MK Patriot Custom with the insurance money but not yet a Gibby. Losing that SG hurt. I would definitely have done the Virtuoso treatment. That is a cool looking finish.

I have a great Epi 66 gibson copy SG in gloss trans cherry, stock, that sounds incredible; as well as a super great sounding, believe it or not, ESP LTD bottom of the line Viper 50 with hot open coil humbuckers and a black cherry finish. I'm playing it right now. Great tone, heavy, hot, and smooth. Liked it better than the Viper 400 with the EMG's. Also cost me less than one fifty mint plastic still on used.

I do play a white ESP LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe at a local store that has gold plated Seymour Duncan pups - a Custom five in the bridge and 59 in the neck, and it sounds way better than you might think and feels super great to me. I usually play it thru a SuperSonic Fender. Sounds way better than the EMG version to me, personally; way less digital, smooth and heavy sounding with lots of heat.

Just as great is the new gold top EC 1000 Deluxe with the alnico II pro Seymour Duncan nickel plated pups and twenty four frets, de-blinged. This is a great guitar.

Summing up my observations though, I can see where I would be VERY happy with either the Gibson Faded SG or LP with the Virtuoso treatment. I think the Burstbucker Pro pups on the LP, plus the LP vibe might capture my heart though, along with the classy looking inlays on the LP's board compared to the simplistic dots on the SG.

My Epi Tribute is, however, loaded up with a lot of prime Gibson USA components, plus a lot of other high quality parts; that come together to do a great job of honoring the life of Les Paul in a really quality way. And I'll tell you what, it captures the vibe of the shade in certain lighting, like in the early morning, that has more than once caught my eye and had me standing there looking at it and saying to myself, "this is something special, you can see and feel its spirit". I think they wound up with more than they bargained for when they produced that tribute. I think they wound up going beyond what they thought they were doing and I bet they know it.

Anyway, at this point in time I think I would go with the Gibson Faded LP and apply the Virtuoso treatment to it, and be real happy with the burstbucker pros.

Note: The American Std Strat with the anaconda pickguard mod is shown in my avatar. Looks way better up close. Great guitar.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

imo sg is better as it bailed gibson out so we can all appreciate all the great creations now.

but more on topic. weight issues are on both sides of the fence. sgs can be neck heavy but les pauls are just imo ...heavy

les pauls sustain longer than the sg but not by much and im not going to time that lol sooner watch paint dry than sit with a stop watch

the sg is a bit easier to play as you can reach everything unlike the les paul which is a stretch and a half

i find the les paul richer and thicker than the sg which is bright and snappier

you are clutching straws if there is much else different. and the sg used to be called a les paul so this must be post '63 models realy or there would be absolutely no difference as the sg was the les paul.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast