Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Sg V.s. Lp!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sg V.s. Lp!!!

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sg Lp

I have an Epi SG, a copy of a 66 Gibson Standard.

I played about seven SGs the day I bought it, one a Gibson, and this one sounded about five times as good as the others, including special edition ones like the metalflake blue one.

Mine is high gloss trans cherry with block inlays and is one of my favorite guitars, far from as expensive as my more expensive guitars, but awesome nonetheless. This is a great guitar, completely stock and it has withstood the test of time, as I've owned it a few years and it just gets better.

It is not a small guitar when placed next to my other guitars, except of course my lawsuit Ibanez Explorer/Destroyer. But it dwarfs all my guitars.

Tone wise there is a major difference between any of my LPs and LP type guitars. It is sort of like a combination of the tone of a strat clean and a LP deep tone, quite versitile.

Aside from the obvious tonal differences, it has a way different feel.

I have been playing my SG almost exclusively over the last few days and it is a beautiful full tone. I would like to get another one like the Zoot Suit or a P90 one.

Dude, that natural and black Zoot Suit pictured here is awesomely beautiful. Thought about getting one. Those are multipiece laminated bodies, with the different laminate layers stained its unique color, right?

Anyway, the SG tone is not the same as the LP tone and the feel is way different.

Many, many guitarists, both famous and otherwise have used and still use SG guitars.

I had the Gibson faded SG, bought new last Fourth of July at the GC sale and it was stolen by a relative, not to be seen again - along with the old relative I immediately kicked out; F**k that. He also got my Fender Hwy One fat strat amongst other things. 43 year old a** hole I helped salvage out of dire straits a couple months earlier. F***er.

That Gibson SG was great and spent the next nine days after I bought it in the hospital bed with me along with my Vox Amp-plug. That guitar had some mojo; had some mojo. With all the discounts that only cost me about five hundred, new. Never a/b'd it to the Epiphone. I guess the Epi stands on its own. It sounds super good.

Although brighter than the average LP it does not come close to real strat or telecaster territory. The SG has a place of its own.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    I played about seven SGs the day I bought it, one a Gibson, and this one sounded about five times as good as the others...
    I remember Jimi75 doing about the same thing last year, testing LP's until he found one that felt and sounded better than the others. I've heard the same thing before for several brands, and the elimination process worked even for my CV 50's Strat. I guess it can really pay to grab several until you find the great one in a sea of mediocre ones.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought a used Epi SG G-400 a while back, that shift in playing position due to the double cutaway & neck joining the body so far down was the first thing I noticed about playing it. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Clapton while in Cream is the first SG player I can remember, but one that hasn't been mentioned yet is this guy, in perhaps the most memorable SG performance I can recall. And he doesn't get enough credit for inventing the "guitar face" at 5:35....

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I remember Jimi75 doing about the same thing last year, testing LP's until he found one that felt and sounded better than the others. I've heard the same thing before for several brands, and the elimination process worked even for my CV 50's Strat. I guess it can really pay to grab several until you find the great one in a sea of mediocre ones.
    Sure. Though I do believe 90% of that is simply due to settings; slightly better intonation and/or neck relief etc. can do wonders, or newer strings, different kind of strings...I do believe you can test a really great guitar and its seemingly much lesser sibling, but if you were to adjust both properly the differences might vanish...

Intonation in particular is something I usually get 'down' on a given guitar only after I've done it like 20 times on it. You get it like 80% right the first time, and every time you do it (by ear of course, using tuners as guide only) it gets slightly better. Sometimes you manage to get it slightly worse too. But at some point you start to notice you've gotten it intonated so that it really sings.

Currently only my main axe is 'perfectly' intonated for me and I haven't touched it any more for a year now, the 2nd axe has some slight issues with certain open chords vs. full barres but is damn near already, and the 3rd one I've intonated maybe three times since I built it, but at a year old the neck also needs some adjustments still as it's not completely settled yet...anyway, it's got a good basic intonation but clearly not as good as its older buddies.

That said, sure I always find the best one of the bunch. When I bought my insofar most expensive guitar, LP standard, I picked one out of a bunch of five. It just spoke to me the best.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

How about SG master FZ

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    How about SG master FZ
    +1. He's the first person who comes to mind for me when I think of the SG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Sure. Though I do believe 90% of that is simply due to settings; slightly better intonation and/or neck relief etc. can do wonders, or newer strings, different kind of strings...I do believe you can test a really great guitar and its seemingly much lesser sibling, but if you were to adjust both properly the differences might vanish...
    I agree and I find that to be especially true with Floyd-equipped guitars. Rarely does anyone bother to set them up properly in the first place, then the idiots come in and try to set it into Drop-D.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

IF you notice in the Santana clip from Woodstock that guitar is a Special. Dot neck, P90 pickups. I have the same guitar but a 68. The same one that Pete Townsend used.
    Carlos said he was so stoned the guitar neck felt like a snake in his hands.
    I have owned it for over 40 years!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    The SG weighs a lot less than the LP and doesn't have near the sustain.

Hmmmmm..........................

Two SG's and two LP's in the house. My SG's have every bit of sustain that my Lesters have. Sustain is a quality that's different between every individual guitar.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Another SG master in a middle east style tune ,talkin about sustain here..

Love this tune...

Zman , how much for your SG ??? Need one to play slide ..

--Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

SG player: Frank Hannon. He also does LPs and the occasional pink paisley Tele.. :-)
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Blaze,give Zman a couple hits of Purple Ozzly and then you can take that snake from his hands!!! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Another SG master in a middle east style tune ,talkin about sustain here..

Love this tune...

Zman , how much for your SG ??? Need one to play slide ..

Sorry Blaze, untouchable. Funny though I was going to mention Derek.
    Sumi: Been there done that. And just about every other one as well.
    and Hell I was a Corporate Accountant. LOL.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Sumi: Been there done that. And just about every other one as well.
    and Hell I was a Corporate Accountant. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Yep you were seeing profit ok! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mainestratman
    SG player: Frank Hannon. He also does LPs and the occasional pink paisley Tele.. :-)
    Excellent call. Saw him (with Tesla) open up for Def Leppard in '87, I think. Was watching closely when he was playing the solo on "Modern Day Cowboy." He was using a double-neck SG. Blew his high "E" string right at the beginning. Played the rest of the solo on the 12 string neck.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Zappa & Santana as well very very cool.

@Duffy that really sucks about the guitars Brother. Karma will nail that dude for sure some day. Sounds like a straight Junkie move I hope in time you can replace what you lost.

So this is what I think in 1 year and 5 months of playing guitar as I know today.

A few Strats, Teles, LP's, SG's, and Semi-hollows and I am good. Well maybe also a few Charvel, Ibanez, Hagstrom, Duesenberg, MK, Taylor, and Carvin. LOL OH YEAH and Collings, Heritage and JLSGUITARS!!!!!

Now all I need is the funds AND GOOD FORTUNE and blessings to pull this off!
    OR I BETTER START AA GROUP FOR GAS. LOL

Seriously and honestly speaking the idea of a LP sort of sounding guitar with a brighter & more biting tone in the collection sounds just great to me.
    Anyone have a talent pedal for sale for cheap?
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Excellent call. Saw him (with Tesla) open up for Def Leppard in '87, I think. Was watching closely when he was playing the solo on "Modern Day Cowboy." He was using a double-neck SG. Blew his high "E" string right at the beginning. Played the rest of the solo on the 12 string neck.
    Frank is amazing.. ask Kazz.. he'll tell ya.

I've seen Tesla once and Frank and his band once. Not only is the dude an incredible guitarist, but a phenomenal showman as well.. and completely down to earth.

Before the gig with his band, he and the guys sat with my g/f at the time and I and we all drank beer and talked about everything from music to gear to beer for a couple hours... just a bunch of normal guys. Frank remembered reading on his web forum that I was trying like hell to get together an 80's tribute project (MDC was on the list), so we chatted about that.. he even invited me onstage to jam, but I chickened out, like the big idiot I am.

A couple years later at the Tesla show, he stopped and chatted with me, asked how the band was coming.. amazing. Two years on the road and he remembered me. If I wasn't a fan for life anyway, I would have been. Very gracious performer who is appreciative of his fans.

BTW.. did I mention he's an incredible guitar player? LOL

Thanks for having my back on this one, Rev.

Edited to add: My next guitar will be an SG.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default P90 Sg

I have been looking at those P90 SGs like Zman's and the one Santana plays on the Youtube.

That is a beautiful guitar Zman.

I replaced my Fender Hwy one with a new blizzard pearl American Strat as an upgrade and also got one of those Fender Telecaster Special Issue FMT HH with the SD pearly gates and rev. wound 59 in the neck, made out of mahogany w set mahogany neck and black cherry burst, nice.

Miss that Gibson faded SG though. Might have to get another Gibson SG in some configuration. I'd even consider picking up a used one if they weren't so expensive on Ebay. You can get a faded for the price these dudes want and have a good new guitar, replace the pups if you want. I liked the faded's neck and the satin finish was really good looking. It "felt" and played like a good guitar. My Epi 66 copy also feels and sounds like a really good guitar, however and its high gloss trans cherry with block inlays and great stock pickups believe it or not.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

How could i forget our own Montreal native , Mahogany Rush_Frank Marino a legendary SG master he was and still is..

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast