Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Sg V.s. Lp!!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sg V.s. Lp!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sg V.s. Lp!!!

OK, you Gibby connoisseurs other than the shape is there really major tone/sound difference between the two SG & LP.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there is.

I used to own an SG a long time ago and still play a friend's one.

The SG weighs a lot less than the LP and doesn't have near the sustain. The tone of the SG is quite a bit brighter and more open on top.

The LP has a very thick mid-range and is much fuller on the bottom than the SG.

Think chunk (LP) versus scream (SG).

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard people complain about SGs being neck-heavy too, an accusation that I don't think a Les Paul has ever had to face.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the things that is most overlooked when it comes to SG vs LP is the playing position. The neck on an SG is higher on the body than an LP due to the double cut. Similar to an ES335 style guitar. When you are playing, the higher frets are much more accesible, and it changes your playing position.
    I have a Gibson SG, and Several LPs. I do find the SG more neck heavy, but I have an original 68 with the baseball bat dot neck. Even with the same pickups the SG will sound brighter, and sometimes almost Strat Like. They are no where near as heavy as a Solid unchambered LP. Mine has probably the lowest action of any guitar I own, but it has the Vibrolo, with the top wrapped compensated bridge. I have owned it since 69, and I love the guitar.
    I have played a friend of mine's faded SG in the worn brown with the open coil pickups. It is a really nice playing, and sounding guitar. The neck is substantial and very much like my SG>
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Epi LP and this Gibson SG and my SG has a lot more sustain than my Epi (maybe it's just this particular SG owing to its construction). Also, my Epi is chambered and is much lighter than my SG.

When I first got the SG it felt like the frets closer to the nut were much farther away but now I'm so used to it that when I pick up my LP my fretting hand feels crunched in. Thanks ZMAN for explaining the difference in playing position because this is what I felt but wasn't quite sure why.

My SG is also 24 fret and with the cut-away it just feels so much different than my Epi. Honestly, I never thought much about SGs and never imagined I would ever buy one, but when I picked this one up and just couldn't put it down.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow bcdon that is a nice SG,I never saw that ZOOT before,only the rainbow one.Yours is awesome! Question is the 24 fret a custom only? Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

That Zoot SG is cool....I like that one...the rainbow one looked like clown poop.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Wow bcdon that is a nice SG,I never saw that ZOOT before,only the rainbow one.Yours is awesome! Question is the 24 fret a custom only? Sumi
    Thanks! Nope, this is just a stock ZOOT and they are all 24 fret. Mine is the Black on Orange and I think it looks killer with the clear pups.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...Zoot-Suit.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    That Zoot SG is cool....I like that one...the rainbow one looked like clown poop.
    Haha.. I agree but too each his own, I suppose. I wasn't quite sure about the colour of mine when it was first handed to me but now I really dig it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that settles it an SG is added to much have list for 2011! LOL

Thanks for everyone's insight I honestly could not think of anyone other than Angus Young which played one as his main axe. I also never really played with anyone you used them either so when ever we played AC/DC stuff they always used their LP so I just thought the tone must be the same or similar.

I really like the Zoot but most likely be looking for a good used one or one of those faded ones. The SG has now reach the top of my GAS list for 2011.
    2010 is done other than a low wattage tube amp for my birthday if all goes well.
    I have bought since Dec. an LP, strat, CV thinline on order, Fender Deville, and a great pedal. So for now its just time to woodshed a little and hopefully get better. LOL

But I always wonder what was the deal with the SG and I now know thanks guys.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The top of my affordable SG list...

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    "...could not think of anyone other than Angus Young which played one as his main axe."
    Well,...remember Eric Clapton's 'Fool' guitar? He recorded tons of Cream stuff with it...Derek Trucks still uses SG as his main axe...so does Robbie Krieger (the Doors)...George Harrison did the whole Revolver album with one....Tony Iommi invented heavy metal with one...Jerry Garcia's main guitar for years...remember Pete Townsend? The list goes on....
    Last edited by Zip; April 2nd, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

I like SGs too, due in large part to Tony Iommi. The SGs I've played don't quite feel as nice as my LP to me, but that may be because I'm guitarded. I do like the sound of my friend Tom's SG. It actually sounds similar to an LP, but as NW Basser said, it's brighter and more open sounding. His has a fairly thin neck, and plays like butter.

A decent SG is on my list, but it's not at the top. My next purchase will likely be a CV 60s Strat, or possibly a Vintage Vibe Strat. And then a Tele. I need to fill out the single-coil sector of my growing family.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I like SGs too, due in large part to Tony Iommi. The SGs I've played don't quite feel as nice as my LP to me, but that may be because I'm guitarded.
    I was going to mention my fellow fingertip-challenged guitarist Iommi too. Re: the second comment above, the first step is admitting you have a problem, FF
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    Well,...remember Eric Clapton's 'Fool' guitar? He recorded tons of Cream stuff with it...Derek Trucks still uses SG as his main axe...so does Robbie Krieger (the Doors)...George Harrison did the whole Revolver album with one....Tony Iommi invented heavy metal with one...Jerry Garcia's main guitar for years...remember Pete Townshend? The list goes on....

Cream was long before I was rocking. LOL
    I know some of their music for sure but I was never clear when it Clapton or Beck playing on what songs.
    Derek Trucks just discovered him in 2010.
    Did not like the doors.
    GH he was cool but not real big Beatles fan.
    Toni Iommi I just had to Google his name to know who he was. Sabbath was cool but I never listen to them all that much honestly.
    Forgot about Jerry & Pete considering I worked enough of their shows over the years I should have been able to remember that. LOL

But I get you point plenty of major player used SG's as their main axe thanks for the info. Angus & Clapton would be one cool jam session.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    The top of my affordable SG list...

Sheer EYE CANDY..............
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I was going to mention my fellow fingertip-challenged guitarist Iommi too. Re: the second comment above, the first step is admitting you have a problem, FF
    I believe I have said it before, but for the record, once again:

My name is Sean. I'm a guitar addict.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I believe I have said it before, but for the record, once again:

My name is Sean. I'm a guitar addict.
    And a total enabler too! It's cool, the poison is sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like SG's but as mentioned, many of them are neck heavy. Not all, but especially the cheaper copies tend to be. My friend has one from the 60's and it's got a SUPER thin neck and isn't neck heavy at all for instance.

SG's don't, IMO, have any less sustain than LP's but they have a much more biting attack and tone, and, again as mentioned, the playing position is different. Having played an LP for 13 years I've always kinda wanted an SG, but if I do get one, it's gotta be white, or in a pinch transparent red, basic Angus style one.

One thing that's a big issue for some is that an SG is really very small a guitar. Suits me just fine, but on my friend who's quite sizeable a fellow, it looks just plain ridiculous, like a violin or something. Conversely I sold him my Explorer for the reason the Explo looks like a canoe or something on me, but suits his size quite nicely. I'm not exactly a small guy, 5.10+ but sort of light and slender, and bigger guitars just look dumb on me.

But to sum it all up...yeah an SG is entirely different a beast from an LP, although you _can_ make them sound pretty much alike. Harder to make an LP sound like an SG but the other way round it's just some tweaks on pedals.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast