Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tweed Champ (5F1) in Europe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Glad to hear everything worked out for you. It may take a while for the speaker to break in, but it will only get better sounding. Great job, I like the looks of that little amp.
    Thanks! It looks even better in real life but there was not enough light and the flash kept going off. I actually took a bunch of pictures but that turned out to be the best of them, hehe.

Future plans for the amp include changing the red pilot light with a blue one, and add that bypass cap across the 1K5 resistor (I do like those low frequencies a lot, and I understand that it will also reduce some of the noise I inevitably get as a single-coil guitars fan).

Other than what I get because of the single coils, the amp is pretty silent. There is a tiny hum when the volume knob is at 12 (maximum), but it's definitely not louder than what I've heard from the 518, so I'd say the carbon comp resistors aren't any inconvenience here.

Now I have to try and find the best books to have on tube amps and start learning about it in more detail. And maybe start thinking about the cheapest way to get quality parts for a 5E3 .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by red
    Other than what I get because of the single coils, the amp is pretty silent. There is a tiny hum when the volume knob is at 12 (maximum), but it's definitely not louder than what I've heard from the 518, so I'd say the carbon comp resistors aren't any inconvenience here.
    With carbon comps, it is usually hiss, not hum so it sounds like you lucked out.

Quote Originally Posted by red
    Now I have to try and find the best books to have on tube amps and start learning about it in more detail. And maybe start thinking about the cheapest way to get quality parts for a 5E3 .
    Here is a site to get you started on building amps:

http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

There is enough info there to keep anyone interested learning for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a site to get you started on building amps:

http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

There is enough info there to keep anyone interested learning for a long time.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

With carbon comps, it is usually hiss, not hum so it sounds like you lucked out.
    I don't know, maybe I did. With no input and the amp turned all the way up on the Champ clone, there's a very small amount of hiss. That's exactly what I hear out of my Peavey Classic 30 with no input on the clean channel turned up about halfway - and there are no carbon composition resistors in the PC30.

Actually the loudest thing I hear in the situation described is a tube. Probably the power tube. Cooking away.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123