Thread: I help, U help

Post Thanks / Like

Cool I help, U help

im as new as the next guy when it comes to playing the guitar... i dont know much and probably a "allright" at best, but i always like to trade information, i can help you and you can help me learn new things, about guitars, anyway, i always find myself lingering around the end of the fretboard, you know frets 1-3, 1-4, i mean there is so many chords to play in such a small area especially if you like to mix strumming with picking, its endless.... i feel that moving down the fret board is kind of intimidating, seems so hard to bend and stretch fingers.... i guess what im asking is, does anyone have an idea on how to ease my way down the board... maybe some songs that have a little both upper board and lower in it??? thanks................

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there!

If you find the chord possibilities endless with just the first 3 or 4 frets, it's gonna be awesome when you find some of the other chords / scale patterns out there.

Two sites I would steer you to are Robert's www.dolphinstreet.com and Mark Wein's www.premierguitarlessons.com .

Both have tons of free information / videos on their sites. You can also purchase lessons from both as well. Both sites have information that is easy to understand and apply to the guitar.

As you start to learn some theory, I would also recommend you purchase a book of guitar chords, so you can find different versions of the same chord up and down the neck.

Good luck, man, and have fun with it!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Hey there!

If you find the chord possibilities endless with just the first 3 or 4 frets, it's gonna be awesome when you find some of the other chords / scale patterns out there.

Two sites I would steer you to are Robert's www.dolphinstreet.com and Mark Wein's www.premierguitarlessons.com .

Both have tons of free information / videos on their sites. You can also purchase lessons from both as well. Both sites have information that is easy to understand and apply to the guitar.

As you start to learn some theory, I would also recommend you purchase a book of guitar chords, so you can find different versions of the same chord up and down the neck.

Good luck, man, and have fun with it!
    thanks man, i have a chord book, it helps, but can be confusing sometimes, thank you.............

Post Thanks / Like

Look up the CAGED system and it'll show you how the chords is laid out.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I started taking lessons, a little over a month ago. Last week, we went over all the notes you can play around the C Chord, G CHord and E Chord, in the open position. There's tons of cool things you can do there, all while holding the general chord shape with a few of your fingers, while moving others.

It's really cool, and really tough, because I'm at the point where I don't have good finger independence, especially while holding some fingers in place...like if I move my ring finger, my pinky always goes too. So the exercises are great, and they sound cool too!

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Commodore 64]I started taking lessons, a little over a month ago. Last week, we went over all the notes you can play around the C Chord, G CHord and E Chord, in the open position. There's tons of cool things you can do there, all while holding the general chord shape with a few of your fingers, while moving others.

It's really cool, and really tough, because I'm at the point where I don't have good finger independence, especially while holding some fingers in place...like if I move my ring finger, my pinky always goes too. So the exercises are great, and they sound cool too![/quote

Whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP! I remember that initial exuberance I felt when I learned my first song on the guitar... Highway To Hell.

I hope lessons work out for you! I tried taking them but with my ADHD I found them boring and quit. Several years later I started teaching myself on my own. Now with all the information the internet has to bring, it is MUCH easier to get into guitar and get going.

I HIGHLY recommend checking out Robert's video lessons... the man is a genius and I've learned a lot by utilizing his tips.

Good luck and enjoy!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix