Thread: My amp preset tones from last gig - what you think?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My amp preset tones from last gig - what you think?

Line 6 Spider Valve MkII - these were the sounds I used on my last gig.

This time, I recorded this longish demo with just the camera mic, instead of micing the amp separately. I have been having trouble getting the best tones when micing with my SM57, and I think the problem is my audio interface (I'm buying something better right now).

Anyway, please have a listen and let me know how you like these tones. I believe these tones are pretty close to the "real thing" and I really like the sound of this amph. Incredible versatility. I used the optional floorboard here too, which has volume pedal/wah pedal and buttons for storing presets, etc.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my camcorder mic picks up a bit too much treble. It also sounds a bit more trebly because of my Brossard pick, which is made out of bone and makes a brighter tone (and the microphone picks up the acoustic sound of my strings + pick).

Still pretty good tones, I must say. I adjust the brightness with my guitar's tone control a lot when I play, and I usually have it at 6 or lower with this amp.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert my neighbor has one of these amphs,so I'll try 'em out.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert, this is my first comment on your videos. Just to preface my comment, I have a surround sound system hooked up to my computer, and I have always thought your recordings were just OK. The playing was fine but they lacked body and depth. I think this is the best I have heard. The amp is great but I think your recording set up is best this way.
    Remember this is constructive and I think it is what you wanted.
    The line 6 seems like a good fit for your gigs and music selection.
    While I was in Florida, I went to a Seafood Bar/restaurant, and there was a performer by himself, who was using the same amp, but he was running backing tracks and laying his guitar and vocals over them. I was amazed at the tone, and how good this guy sounded. All by himself. It really opened my eyes to these amps.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks zman, just the kind of feedback I'm after!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Robert, the dirty sound and the AC30 kinda sound are really great and the amph pairs perfectly with your guitar. I must admit though that I can't dig the effects, in my opinion they give your sound a synthetic edge and deprive your guitar ans amph of its natural sound.

Great and accurate playing as always - I wonder how you do that

Regarding the sound quality I can only say that your videos are among the best sounding demos out there. Maybe I am no professional sound guy, so I can only judge the sound from the position of being a listener in this case, but I darn like what I hear!

As a conclusion I would say that you make this amph sound very good which proves that it just takes a bit of time with new equipment to get the best out of it.

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jimi, sometimes it just takes some time to get to know gear! I should maybe not be so quick at posting demos of new gear, until I know how to get the best out of it. I dunno.

The effects, well I think they are kinda kool man! I like effects that are strong and out there, but then I only use them a few times at a gig. Mostly I just use delay and gain for effects.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to know that I love these sounds, man. It's fun hearing your playing with more modulation.

Effects are your colors, your guitar is the brush. The picture you paint still depends 100% creation of the artist. You can paint some pretty incredible pictures, man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Thanks Jimi, sometimes it just takes some time to get to know gear! I should maybe not be so quick at posting demos of new gear, until I know how to get the best out of it. I dunno.
    Oh sorry for not uttering me clearly enough - I meant with my comment that you know your amph already and that is why you Robert get such a good tone out of it :-) For all the quick people you deliver the prove that it is always worth investing enough time and being patient with new equipment.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm impressed with the sound quality shift just running your camcorder mic. Well done. :-)
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice sounds. How do they sound in the mix? I only ask because of my frustration with finding some great tone at home and having it disappear live.

What do you do to adjust for live playing?
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good sounds you got there. I didn't like the first wah. I don't know if you changed patches or not but if the range is tweakable then it could serve good purpose otherwise it was pretty annoying at the top end. All-in-all there seem to be a lot of usable sounds available and it appears the touch sensitivity of the amp is right on. When you dig in it responds. Cool.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! It sounds great.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40