Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
CV White Tele or CV 60s Strat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CV White Tele or CV 60s Strat

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CV White Tele or CV 60s Strat

I walked into a local guitar shop, while staying with my daughter.
    I found they had two of the CV Teles in White/Maple, for 350. No haggling yet.
    Also they had a 60s CV Strat for 279 on sale. I really wasn't looking to buy another guitar but I have not seen one of those teles in stock anywhere, and they have two to choose from.
    The 60s Strat seems like a pretty good buy.
    I am not sure what to do.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love the 60's strat, but you have a ton of strats, and that 60's sounded a lot to me like my (and yours) MIM 60th. I would think a tele would be the better call between the two for you. Not that you really need even another tele. ;-)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I walked into a local guitar shop, while staying with my daughter.
    I found they had two of the CV Teles in White/Maple, for 350. No haggling yet.
    Also they had a 60s CV Strat for 279 on sale. I really wasn't looking to buy another guitar but I have not seen one of those teles in stock anywhere, and they have two to choose from.
    The 60s Strat seems like a pretty good buy.
    I am not sure what to do.
    Wow, I wonder why they have the 60's CV Strat so marked down? That's the first question that comes to mind.

Regardless, play each of the CV's, and see if they feel and sound right to you. Go from there if one of them really speaks to you. The Strat sure sounds like a good deal, but you already have a better Strat, right?

Personally, I'd opt for the CV Tele Custom or the CV Tele Thinline over the CV Tele 50's, but you already have a Custom.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Why not get them both!You can always sell the one's that don't grow on ya! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Personally, I'd opt for the CV Tele Custom or the CV Tele Thinline over the CV Tele 50's, but you already have a Custom.
    Just what is a CV Tele? How is it different from a regular Tele?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Just what is a CV Tele? How is it different from a regular Tele?
    When the Classic Vibe series first came out they had a 50s Tele, a 50s Strat and a 60s Strat. The 50s Tele had a blonde see through finish and a black gaurd. It also has a vintage tinted gloss maple neck.
    If I can get it with a Gig bag thrown in I might just do it.
    The tag on the Strat had a "Manufacturers Markdown" tag on it so I guess Fender must have cut him a deal on it. They recently moved to a larger store and reopened.
    You guys are like my inner voices. That is exactly what they said.
    I will take a look at the two CV 50s Teles and see how they sound.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

The Pine Tele is pretty cool especially if you can get some add ons or a price break. Otherwise, for the same price I'd suggest holding out for the new alder, double bound sunburst CV Tele. Either way - get a Tele and not a Strat.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get the Tele over the 60's CV strat.
    if it was the 50's CV's i would take it over the pine Tele.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CV pine caster or CV sixties

I haven't played the pinecaster but will probably get a new CV Custom tele in burst; however, I was in a music store just recently and they were selling a CV sixties strat for 279 in antique burst and it was an awesome strat. It sounded great and looked great and played great. Plugged it into a Fender Super Champ XD and put them both thru their paces. They both shined.

I would get a sixties CV strat in a second if I wanted one or felt like it, on he spot, if it sounded really super good.

I have been wanting to play a pinecaster for a long time. The stores around here that have had them say that they are very nice guitars for the price, but they don't stock a lot of them. Probably because they like to sell the much more expensive ones like the new American Specials that they have so many of in stock.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

The Tele. You've got a whole bunch of Strats, and those Teles are something special. IMO, they play much better than they are priced.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Remember I already have the CV50s Strat, and the CV Tele Custom. I like the way the custom plays, but I really am a maple board guy. I will see what kind of a deal I can get. I received my RS guitar vintage kit. I am really amazed at how easy it is to get items sent to you in the US.
    I am in Maine and I had the kit sent to my daughters place. It would have taken 2 weeks and customs duties to have it sent to Canada. when I get back I will be putting the kit plus the hand wound Burstbuckers I bought from a local buy/sell web site at home called Kijiji, in my Gibson Classic GT. So that is around 300 total including the install.
    I think you guys are right, I really am not feeling any Gas for the Strat. It is just such a good price. I will drop buy and see what kind of a deal I can get today.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

I dropped by and they still had two of the CV 50s Tele. I asked the owner why the 60s was marked so low and he said after a certain amount of time they drop the price to clear inventory. I haggled with him and got him to throw in a gig bag. It was not bad, pretty well padded but not as good as a Fender. He wouldn't move on price. I said to thim I will be back in June and I will pick it up for 279. He said they match the online dealers with price and he doesn't have much room to haggle because of the limited buying power they have. I am still debating.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I would like a second strat at some point, and like that one as a starting point to mod a strat into a super strat. Might have to consider that in the future if they stay available. Before that, I was thinking a good MIM (like and '06) or a Squier Deluxe.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I am still in Maine and I have resisted the temptation to buy another guitar.
    I have a project waiting for me when I get home and I do have a lot of fender guitars. It was just that after not seeing any of these guitars int he stores to come across several, I was really surprised.
    The Blues is alright!

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sixties CV strat

That is a good price for the CV sixties.

It would be a great guitar and you don't seem to have many near you.

For small money it might be an excellent new guitar.

The one I was familiar with sounded super great.

You know how that thing goes: he who hesitates is lost, sometimes.

This may not be one of those times, but then again, you are there and it is there and the situation is there. This arrangement of things in space and time is about to change, removing the situation from easy reach.

Only you can decide if it's a good choice, but some serious thought would be a good idea considering the space/time relationship. If it makes sense that is.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped in my local GC today 'cuz I needed a stand and a set of Schaller strap-locks for my new Agile AL-3000 LP. While I was there, I took a look around and found a demo model of the CV '50s Tele and plugged it into a 2x12 Hotrod Deville for a few minutes. This was the first time I've seen one of these guitars "in person", not to mention playing one. While that semi-transparent Vintage White finish does nothing for me (yeah, I know some people love it), the lightness of the guitar was nice, and it played & sounded great, the dead low E and A strings notwithstanding. For $350, a very impressive value! I thought it was a much nicer guitar than the $500 MIM Tele I also tried.

BTW, was playing the Deville through the Normal (clean) channel, and it's a nice sounding amp. Unbelievably loud, though. I switched it onto the Drive channel for a second, and didn't notice that the last player had apparently left the Drive setting way up--geez, I almost deafened myself. And the Master Volume was only on 3!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele

Vood,

You might like the new Fender Telecaster FMT HH with SD pickups I just got. Very light mahogany set neck and body, flammed maple top in black cherry burst. Super low action, incredible feel and sound. I paid five bills for it new from Fender straight to the store. Made in Indonesia. Very beautiful in all respects. Bright guitar for twin HB's but has a whole lot of tonal variation. Pearly Gates bridge and Custom 5 neck pups. Ergonomically designed body cut.

This is a smoking guitar in all regards. Definitely one of my best guitars, if not the best. Thin neck in both dimensions, width and depth. Great note separation and a tone monster.

I'm surprised that pinecaster didn't sound better to you. Never played one myself but want to try the CV tele Custom but none around me.

I did like that CV sixties though, without a doubt a great guitar for the money. I would say better than the Fender American Special Strat.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

That Tele FMT HH looks like a nice axe, but I've got the dual humbucker thing covered in spades between two LP's, an SG, a Dot and my Carvin Cali Carved-top.

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    I'm surprised that pinecaster didn't sound better to you.
    Huh? I didn't say that! I liked the way it sounded just fine--very nice Tele twang, without being harsh or ice-picky. And that was through a fairly bright sounding amp. Only thing wrong tonally was the fact that strings were shot, which seems to be a nearly universal problem on GC demo guitars!

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    Never played one myself but want to try the CV tele Custom but none around me.
    +1 on that. If it sounds & plays as well as the '50s model, I find that one to be a FAR more attractive guitar. I'm wondering if I'd like its Alnico V pickups as well as the III's in the '50s model....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well back home WITHOUT, any new guitars! I will be upgrading my Gibby Classic LP and that has taken up about as much as the CV60s would have cost. I am trying to cull a few Fenders as well. Just don't have any more room for guitars, and I am playing my Gibbys most of the time now.
    The Blues is alright!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast