Thread: What are some good resources for finding people to play with?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are some good resources for finding people to play with?

So I want to find some people to play with and learn from. Right now I take weekly lessons and play at church 75-80% of the weeks. However, I'd really like to find some local musicians to make some noise with.

Aside from the friends I'm supposed to have who are better than me at the guitar -- note I am NOT saying I'm great on the guitar, only that the friends I know who play are either beginners or they have no time -- what are good ways to find people to play with? Any particular resources you frequently use? Any scene I should look into for something like that?

Bear in mind that I'm 31, so there are probably some teenagers in bands who may not want to hang out with me...

Input appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Go find an "open mic night" and start showing up every time and playing as much as they'll let you. If you advertise beware that a lot of flakes answer those ads.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I started going down to a local bar on Tuesdays to hear a guy play delta blues. Just him and his Dean Resonator, a Blackface Princeton Reverb, and a few pedals. Talked to him during his set breaks. Now he invites me to his house for jams. I've become friends with some other guys who come to those, I'm 34 and I'm usually the youngest there. I usually take a bottle of whiskey and leave it there, along with some pretzels and stuff.

Really nice dudes. They don't do a lot of teaching, they just want you to jump in and play, and they don't ***** if you suck. Like, I busted out with the Freebird progression, and instead of ridiculing, they played along for 10 mins, one guy jumped on a piano and we had fun. Then they ridiculed me when we were done with that.

Post Thanks / Like

On a whim I searched Craigslist using my city and the term "jam" and found a group to play with that matches right up with my taste, age, and more importantly didn't mind a newbie around.

There is a websiste called meetup.com that has a lot of local musicians groups you might be able to find something there too.

Put something on the bulletin board at your local guitar shop, or talk with the guys there, believe me there are people out there looking for just what you are.
    2009 Standard Strat SSS Brown Sunburst
    2009 Fender Blues Junior Tweed NOS
    2007 Line 6 Spider Jam

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there any Fret members close to you? It would be great to see more Fretters jam together!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Are there any Fret members close to you? It would be great to see more Fretters jam together!
    Only two that I know of. One has no time and the other is in several bands. You never know; maybe more will surface. I agree it would be cool to meet some people from TFN.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    On a whim I searched Craigslist using my city and the term "jam" and found a group to play with that matches right up with my taste, age, and more importantly didn't mind a newbie around.

There is a websiste called meetup.com that has a lot of local musicians groups you might be able to find something there too.

Put something on the bulletin board at your local guitar shop, or talk with the guys there, believe me there are people out there looking for just what you are.
    A lot of good ideas in there -- thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked into other sites like Reverbnation.com, bandmix.com and *buyer beware* Craigslist?

It's super hard finding people around here who can play, let alone commit to more than endless emails full of empty promises.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Ask your guitar teacher if there is anyone of his students with a similar skill level and situation. Maybe he can organize an open mike night at a local club, which could be all kinds of fun.

Social events at church could work, too, for networking. Talk to your music director to see if he knows of any other musicians.

Is there anyone where you work that play?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

One obvious resource, kind of mentioned in one of the responses, is to ask your teacher if any of his students are looking to play with other people. If the shops teaches drums and bass, ask the other teachers also because you will be looking for players of these other instruments.

Over the last 3 years or so I have played with a couple of groups of people. In both cases I met up with the other players through Craigslist. I'm in a hobby band currently that is turning out to be a lot of fun.