Thread: Are you a cascader?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you a cascader?

Whom of you is cascading overdrive or distortion pedals? I have almost never done it until about 2 months ago. I felt I needed a little more drive in my basic sound as the JTM45 is very clean and I wanted more drive in the clean sound. Usually, I only played my OCD or either my Ibanez TS9, but then I tried diminishing the gain on the OCD, so that cleanish solos sound creamy enough and I didn't have to fight for every singel note. For the main solos I kick on the the TS-9 additionally to get some volume and drive boost. These two pedals work brilliantly together.

How 'bout you then? Cascador senor?

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I use my Lovepedal Eternity into my Analogman DS-1 all the time. Both are set for minimal gain (9 o'clock). I rarely use the DS-1 on it's own but it sounds good with the Lovepedal warming up the signal.
    Patrick

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I do sometimes. Depends on what amp I'm using.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I do most of the time for live work. I'll have a drive set on the M13 and then when it is solo time kick something on before it that gets a little more saturation and a slight volume boost.

I used to do this with my analog board too. Tube Screamer into a DS1. When I have 2 units on together it works really well to turn the guitar's volume down for a little thicker sound and less compression.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to do it all the time with my DS-1 followed by my Bad Monkey to my C-30. Got that from Spud. After getting my Rodent, I started doing it less, as the Rodent sounded better on its own than the DS-1 did, and I did not think the Bad Monkey added that much to the Rodent that a volume knob or boost didn't do better. Now that I got the ZYS as well, I have started to experiment with it again, cause I think I will be able to get some pretty cool cascaded sounds from those two. The ZYS is cleaner overall than the Monkey, and so throws less of a blanket over the Rodent.

The DS-1 benefited a bit from the Monkey's "blanket" as it made it less shrill.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I do quite often. Bad Monkey for a little creamy OD, and add the ZYS to push that over the top w/ the Ceriatone OTS and the Jet City 20 head run together.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I do it occasionally.

I'll run a fuzzface with the drive maxed into either a BSIAB or my hotrodded muff to try and ape some of those uberdistorted jack white tones.

If I'm jamming with friends and I intend to swap between my HB guitar and my P90 guitar I'll have a pedal used as a slight clean boost, as the P90 output is a bit lower than the HB's. I did use a TS clone for this, but now I use an OCD clone for the same purpose.