Thread: Converting from MIM to a vintage bridge?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Converting from MIM to a vintage bridge?

Have any of you successfully converted a MIM to accept a vintage bridge? If so, how has it worked out? I'd love to see some pictures if anyone has some.

I'm having this done to a flip-flop Stratocaster by a professional, so I'll let you all know how it works out. Hopefully, it's a positive story!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall if the base plate mounting screw holes are the same as the vintage bridge. If they are, it would be easy to do. Make sure the new bridge has the steel trem block. They give a Strat that ringing sustain that makes it a Strat. It really does make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the MIM's have 2 1/16" spacing where the vintage bridges are a tad wider. I shipped my guitar to Bill Callaham who is performing the upgrade for me. I should have the guitar back in my hands on Tuesday night, so I'll post and update and pics if interested.

Post Thanks / Like

If Bill Callaham is putting one of his tremolo bridges in your guitar, it'll be a noticeable improvement in tone. I think you're going to like it...a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post pics? I'd like to see.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I've already installed Callaham bridges in my Powerhouse Strat & Squier '51/Strat Parts-O-Caster conversion. I'm a huge fan of Bill's products. I won't own a Strat guitar without one!

I'm having 2 made for my American Deluxe models right now. The difference in tone & sustain is night & day from the stock crapola that Fender dishes out. I may lose the cool pop-in arm, but the sound greatly outweights the pop-in arm benefits.

I'm very suprised Fender doesn't install high quality tremolo blocks in their american or american deluxe series guitars. If you are dishing out $1,000+ USD for a guitar, you would expect to have the best, right?

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my Flip-flop Strat back with the Callaham block & bridge assembly. He did the conversion flawlessly! You can't even tell it had been filled & redrilled! Sound is honestly 1000% better than stock, and it stays in tune no matter how much I drivebomb. LOVE IT! I'll post pics if anyone wants to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes...please post pics.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

That reminds me. I've got to pick up a vintage trem from Bill Callaham for my next Strat project I got coming up. If you want that vintage look with the best in tone, there is no other choice IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the guitar back from Bill last week. My God it doesn't even sound like the same guitar! This is the best sounding and playing MIM I've ever used now that the bridge & block have been installed! Pics to follow shortly!