Thread: Gibson Resale Value

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gibson Resale Value

OK...................time to honest...........................

Gibsons are one of the resale and collector kings. How many of us here consider that resale value when you look to buy one? How many of us here buy one to play the hell out of it and keep?

I'm of the latter. I buy guitars to play, and play hard. I can count on one hand the number of guitars that I've resold over thirty-odd years of playing. I've never considered resale value on a guitar purchase - if the axe is good, the deal is real. I'm in a working band, and my guitars are tools, albeit well cared for tools.

Does the resale value factor into your purchase choices? Or do you just buy a guitar that you know will deliver the goods for quite a while?

Post Thanks / Like

The quick answer ..ALWAYS , I've been playin a long time too and have gone through countless guitars and amps . when i buy now i NEVER buy new , i buy used and always look for the deal that will afford me the opportunity to at least get my money back , tools yes but my tools have to finance themselves at some point , when it comes to gear i refuse to buy junk just to satisfy gas , so i always have an eye to nabbing a great deal on a proven piece . just my 2 cents , but a great topic ...oh yeah belated welcome to the forum Plank Spanker.........6S9L
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome, 6S9L! This is a really cool board!

Post Thanks / Like

Great crowd here ... cheers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

I've sold 2 SGs and one Deluxe Les Paul (traded that one actually for a Marshall cabinet). Bought them all used and sold them for the same price I got them for. In hindsight I should have kept them all but at least I got back what I put into them. I'm down to only one Les Paul Studio but she's staying with me.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I consider resale to the extent that if I don't like a guitar I want to be able to recoup close to what I put into it. That usually means looking at used instruments.

I had a Gibson Les Paul Custom that I bought new in 1979. It played great and sounded OK, but compared to my Yamaha SG it is definitely no match. I kept it until 2005 and finally decided there is no reason to keep it. I sold it for almost 3 times the dollar amount it cost me in 1979.

I used a third of the proceeds to pick up this used Heritage guitar.

aeolian

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/h6.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm the same way. When I buy a guitar I look for tone, playability, and overall quality. Resale value is kind of last on the list.

But, I also think that it is smart to buy name brands when you can in case you ever need to unload it sometime later. I've had the misfortune of trying to sell guitars that I had when I was younger, such as Ibanez, that were nice guitars but had almost no resale value.

But I tend to hang on to my guitars now versus when I was younger and didn't have any cash to spend. I'm also a little more pickier when I buy guitars now so I try not to buy guitars that I know I will not use very much.

With reguard to resale value I remember buying a used Rivera amp several years ago. I used it for several years until I started having tube reliability issues so often that I swiched to modeling amps. When I sold the Rivera I was able to get almost every penny that I paid for it used several years earlier. This is when I realized how good it is when you have to sell a piece of name-brand equipment. It's so much easier to get your money back out of it.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

As of this point, I haven't been able to afford a guitar that was worth worrying about resale value.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn