Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

I may never buy a used guitar again... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I may never buy a used guitar again...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Virgman
    Those are very "good" fakes.

Unbelievable.
    Unfortunately they are in fact getting harder to spot.

One dead giveaway on the "Gibsons"-- first, sfaik real Gibsons do not use scarf joints (see lower left corner) on necks to get the angled headstock:

Also-- Gibby serials, generally, are pressed into the wood--they are not filled with paint or ink for contrast as above. On some historic models and on Les Paul Classics an inked serial is used-- but the above serial number does not match the type of inked serial. Plus, Gibson either impresses the serial number into the wood, OR inks it, but not both. The above appears to have been pressed in and then also filled with ink or paint for contrast.

Last, everyone should know the modern Gibson serialization code (inapplicable to LP Classics and custom shop/historic):

The pattern (to 2005) is as follows:
    YDDDYRRR
    YY is the production year
    DDD is the day of the year
    RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number

After 2005 serial numbers went to 9 digits inserting a "batch" number in the 6 slot and bumping the "RRR" designation to slots 7 through 9.

Looking at the above faked example, first we know it cannot be a new Gibson because there are 8 digits-- which stopped in 2005. Even overlooking that, to determine date, we look at the first and fifth digit-- 00. So this "brand new" "Gibson" was made in the year 2000, ten years ago.

Homey don't play dat.

Post Thanks / Like

PS-- somebody working the "Gretsch" logos had a little too much beer on lunch break one day:

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

This was a Zak Wylde my friend took in on a Pawn. He gave the guy about 300 worth of goods back, no cash.
    He thought he had a real one.

He ended up keeping it and put a set of active Emgs in it. It had covers over cheap asian HBs. No battery. The guy said it was worth 4000 but took the goods and left. LOL
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN

He ended up keeping it and put a set of active Emgs in it. It had covers over cheap asian HBs. No battery. The guy said it was worth 4000 but took the goods and left. LOL
    Ouch. Headstock inlay hinky, printing on trussrod cover crooked, 3-screw cover. All signs.

Post Thanks / Like

I touched on this topic last month when I bought my last guitar . A colleague of mine who also runs a music shop bought a Les Paul Supreme for about $400 from made in china dot com , he compared this with his Studio and a mates` LP custom and they were blown away , forget the how to spot a fake on stuff on ebay this thing looked the real deal , I gave up after looking at 15 pages of fakes but there`s copies of '59 Teles cheaper than stock Squiers .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fakes

Here is a great tool for running Fender serial numbers
    http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx
    All of the serial numbers used on the fake junk page are mostly dated 2000 to 2002 built at the Corona plant.
    I wonder what Fenders position on these fakes is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stringtreat
    All of the serial numbers used on the fake junk page are mostly dated 2000 to 2002 built at the Corona plant.
    If I were to take a wild guess, I doubt they like the idea much........
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

You know what these fakes would be good for? Movie props. They always use name brand guitars and basses in the movies, and the actors are seldom actually playing them. They never get close enough that they'd be spotted as fakes, probably.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    You know what these fakes would be good for? Movie props. They always use name brand guitars and basses in the movies, and the actors are seldom actually playing them. They never get close enough that they'd be spotted as fakes, probably.
    Now that would throw a big monkey wrench in the product placement gears, huh?
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Now that would throw a big monkey wrench in the product placement gears, huh?
    Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that. They actually pay for product placement, don't they? I guess the prop idea wouldn't work in that aspect.

Pete Townshend could keep some around to smash, if he still did that.

-Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this thread of discussions has been very interesting to say the least!

Our very own Commodore64 was a recent victim of these counterfeits which shows what a scam they are.

I'd suggest that they be used for firewood, but I think the finishes may make the air a bit toxic.

Even if these fakes were high-quality, I think the whole idea is wrong and they should be shut down.

With the prevalence of these fakes around, it really puts the buyer in a precarious position when buying a used instrument. I think a fair amout of due dilligence may be needed in a used instrument purchase these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stringtreat
    Cool site!

My jazz bass checks out to be valid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123