Thread: Amp hum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp hum

I have a Marshall 3202 and there is a loud hum coming out of it when I crank it up. Is that the 60Hz hum from the transformer or is there a problem? My Crate G600XL doesn't have that hum.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it hum without anything plugged in?

Have you tried different power outlets?
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FLHX
    I have a Marshall 3202 and there is a loud hum coming out of it when I crank it up. Is that the 60Hz hum from the transformer or is there a problem? My Crate G600XL doesn't have that hum.
    Another thing I would suspect would be the electrolytic caps in the power supply. There is a 33uF/450v for the PI tube, and two 50uF/500v for the screen and plate supplies. These amps are getting to be 20+ years old, and the electro caps do dry out after a while.

Since there are lethal voltages present in the amp, I would recommend that you take it to a competent tech to have it looked over.

I used to own one of these, I never should have gotten rid of it.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

To reduce the hum as Plank Spanker mentioned I plug directly into a wall outlet. No extension cords or power bars. That will kill quite a bit of the hum. If you are plugged into the wall then I would say there is some issues.
    I have a 2008 DSL100 and it has a slight hum. I went to premium guitar cables and that helps a lot. But the biggest issue for me was the power.
    I purchased a pedal board with a conditioned power supply and that makes all the difference.
    One day my wife unplugged it to clean and plugged it into a power bar that I had for my TV and Stereo.
    I picked up this loud hum and thought one of my pedals was fried. It took me a whole day of testing each pedal, to finally find the main plug for the board plugged into the power bar. It was behind a couch. I plugged it into the wall and it was dead quiet.
    Hope that helps.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I plug straight into the wall. The hum went away when I unplugged the guitar cable. I use monster cable so the next step will be eliminating my pedal board.