Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The lesser known luthiers - present them here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lesser known luthiers - present them here

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up The lesser known luthiers - present them here

Hey folks,

Sure, we all know the big names and also the far east companies, but what about the luthiers around the corner, the lesser known guys that so often know so much better how to build a great guitar than the global players do? Pick a local luthier or a guy or gal from your area and present him here.

I'd like to pick two of them.

1: Nik Huber - to me currently the best small manufacturer in Germany. Their guitars are somewhere between an LP and a Tele, built of the finest woods. Pure awesomenedd in tone and look.

Nik Huber Orca with P90s in action:

Official site:
    http://www.nikhuber-guitars.com/

2. Morgaine/Tandler Guitars. No info on their internet site, just a contact phone number. Anyways, they build the best sounding "Strats" (personal opinion) in Germany if not even in Europe. Their "Les Paul" type models are tremendous sounding, too.

"Strat" video with Ali Neander, one of Germany's top tour guitarists - don't mind the talking in the beginning...:

"LP" video again with Ali
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Guilford Guitars
    John and I were well acquainted. He used to work at the Ibanez importer near me and started in the repair shop after attending GIT. Eventually he ended up in sales which is where we spent the most time together. His current list of custom model endorsers are Ty Tabor, Steve Blaze, J5.

Also

Jet Guitars
    Used by Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings, Transatlantic. Simply beautiful extremely well crafted guitars.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.olsonguitars.com/

The real deal in high-end professional acoustic guitars. Guy even builds his own machines, and look at some of the people who play his guitars!

Post Thanks / Like

Rick Turner, California:

Builds acoustic guitars and ukeleles plus the solid-body Model 1. Started building the Alembic guitars, worked for Gibson for a short time then started Renaissance Guitars.

Less than 300 Model 1's have been built to date.

Turner Model 1 C-LB, Seagull S6+, Ibanez 12 string, Dean Bavarian Vendetta
    VOX AC50 CP2, Roland RE-20, Boss CE5
    Kurzweil SP88X, Yamaha MM8, Roland R-5
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR
    Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM57, SM7, Sennheiser 402's

Post Thanks / Like

Lindsey Buckingham plays a Model 1 - it's about the only electric I've ever seen him with.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Some "locals"...

www.timelessinstruments.com

(offers hands on courses in lutherie as well);

http://www.furyguitar.com;

http://www.puraguitars.com
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Bombshell Guitar made by John Mayes.
    John also make exquisite acoustic guitars

www.bombshellguitars.com
    www.mayesguitars.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Jet Guitars
    Used by Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings, Transatlantic. Simply beautiful extremely well crafted guitars.

Wow, after reading through the website, Jet Guitars are a real standout. Very impressed with the details. Check out their FAQ section for some cool viewpoints on finishes, etc.

The No Plastic stance is something that I've always expected from many top guitar manufacturers, but many still use plastic all over their guitars. I don't mind plastic knobs on a Squier, but if I plunk down $3000 on a Custom Shop Strat, why is this junk still there? Being traditional is no excuse for using cheap parts!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Tig
    I asked Roine what he thought of his Jet (he has 2 now, a slide and the Earlwood). He said it is the most alive feeling guitar he's ever played. The whole thing vibrates from one end to the other and it's comfortable and light.

Better be for what they charge. They really are a stand out. I hope someday I can justify getting one before he quits building them.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a guitar set up with this guy the other day and I think the next time I get a gas attack {hopefully not this year} I`ll be using his services to build me something to my own spec. http://tcellisguitars.com . Nice bloke and his prices were reasonable as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Tig
    I asked Roine what he thought of his Jet (he has 2 now, a slide and the Earlwood). He said it is the most alive feeling guitar he's ever played. The whole thing vibrates from one end to the other and it's comfortable and light.

Better be for what they charge. They really are a stand out. I hope someday I can justify getting one before he quits building them.
    Spud, you picked two extremely cool guitar makers. I enjoyed the Kings-X vids of course and that guitar sound great!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Melancon guitars are built by a one person shop in Lousiana. He has been building for probably around 15 years now, and as far as I can tell there are probably 1600 or 1700 Melancon guitars out there.

I bought a used one about a year and a half ago for a nice price. Mine is kind of plain in looks but a killer guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com in Maine.

I met Eric thru my recent Martin HD-7 McGuinn purchase. Really nice guy and knows tone and quality. Sexy lookin stuff he makes, w high quality tone-woods and electronics.

When (and if) I get off my acoustic kick, I'm going to Eric for my next electric buy! REally great guy, great communication, and more than willing to work with you in every way.

G
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Normandy Guitars

Located in Salem Oregon, these are made from aluminum with a Warmouth neck. Altough I've had my hands on one, I've never played one. Jim Normandy did email me a lowball offer on my Peavey Valveking Royal 8 a while back, but I turned him down.

Normandy Guitars

I have a friend who works in the machine shop where Normandy has the bodies made. I'm pretty excited about their "Alumicaster" that's coming soon.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always keep wondering why is it that luthiers/guitar builders so seldom try to go their own way much, with a few clear exceptions.

The vast majority of them just copies Fender/Gibson models pretty much exactly, or some other maker's models, and don't really even correct the problems of said makers that everyone knows of and most users anyway mod so that those problems go away.

There seems to be very little evolution in guitar making to me.`
    Is it that the makers lack imagination or play it safe or are the buyers just too conservative?

If I made guitars, they wouldn't look very much like any known brand, or have the same boring ubiqutous controls and PU configs. I know one luthier very well and we have often discussed about more radical guitar ideas, he's helped me build all my three guitars, but he's not really interested in making a more radical guitar anyhow. I mean, with different shape, with all kinds of innovations like different PU selector systems/mixing systems onboard, moveable and quick-changeable pickups/mounts with locking docking systems, tilt-neck bolt-on necks, semi-corrected intonation frets, active electronics with discreet monitor outs and/or routing lines, onboard tuner, fine-tune bridges with easy intonation adjustment, spring cavities, asymmetric neck profiles...

Why not? Why do they usually only make those same boring age-old tired configs? Wouldn't people be interested in more individual designs and handy improvements? I think while 90% of people would just buy the same as the next guy because they're afraid to deviate from the norms, there would be enough of those that would like to experiment and find new sounds and ways to play and make music?
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I've thought about this same subject, and at one time I thought it was because people were used to the F and G styles and wouldn't go for anything else. I slowly changed my mind however, and I think it has more to do with going with what works.
    Extreme designs may look cool, and some are actually comfortable and functional, but others, art deco as they may be, are impracticle as can be when strapped on and turned up. I personally like to see the different designs luthiers come up with, the crazier the better, but I don't expect everyone to by playing one next year.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sparrow Guitars from Vancouver, Canada.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    There seems to be very little evolution in guitar making to me.`
    Is it that the makers lack imagination or play it safe or are the buyers just too conservative?
    Both. If you are too "out there" no one will want to buy the guitars (Moser Guitars excepted). Luthiers want to make money. Even though the typical rock/blues/jazz guitarist's politics will often lean left-of-center, they typically are decidedly reactionary when it comes to guitars. The only time I can think of in rock history where guitarists turned up their noses at convention was during the 80s. Crazy colors, controls, pickup configurations, some guy named Floyd Rose, multiple necks going in different directions, etc.

From what I read it seems that if you want to play sessions, you'd better have the standard Fenders or Gibsons otherwise producers and engineers don't seem to know what to do with you. That seems to be especially true with bass where you'd better have a Fender P or J and leave Music Man, Spector, etc. at home.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast