Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Are Any Of You Bored With Stratocasters? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Are Any Of You Bored With Stratocasters?

Post Thanks / Like

Took my Jimmie Vaughan strat to practice last night. After 3 months of just playing the Tele, I thought the Jimmie might be feeling neglected.

No pedals, no picks -- sounded great, and I really enjoyed ALL the pickup positions. Sometimes it's good to take a break and come back fresh.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Once I had my Hag Viking deluxe for a while. I sold my strat and Les Paul. I loved them both for a while. I also became sick of the palithrera of Strats and LP's out there. They have their place. Just not in my place. I found my sound in The Hag. And that is what it's all about. The guitar is just a means to an end. So love what you play and play what you love.

Post Thanks / Like

I had never really played any Strats, but I did love the sound I heard on records, etc., and when I spotted a used Squier Affinity last week at a great price, I grabbed it - my very first Fender-type guitar. The pots and switch were FUBAR, so I bought new stuff and rewired it yesterday. Haven't played it much yet (I still need to do a full setup), but I must say that I'm beginning to understand why so many players love them. I'm looking forward to getting more familiar with it in the days to come.

Post Thanks / Like

No.. I doubt that I will ever get bored with my Strat.
    I used to own a Les Paul that I sold when I wanted to buy a Jazz Bass and I loved that guitar too.
    I ended up selling the bass and bought a SG a few months ago because I still wanted a humbucker to go with my single coils and I am more than happy with my new choice.
    It all depends on what I feel like playing at the moment.
    Some days I want that Strat sound and feel while other times the SG is just what I need and it does not mean that I am bored or sick of either one.

I am just waiting for a nice full or semi-hollow body and I will be content.
    I can't see myself owning several of the same kind guitar while you can mix it up and have the best of all worlds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think I would be content with a standard anything, except maybe an SG and maybe a Hell Bender by the looks of it.

Just today I was thinking maybe I should sell my strats and buy me a nice Gibson SG just for the hell of it, despite I loathe the idea of a brand guitar being any better...today I just feel like I'd like to have a gibby sg.

Then again, I'm also thinking of selling my entire rig, the Ceria and the cab, and get me a JVM combo instead. Just for convenience's sake and because suddenly I have this feeling again I have to switch things around. I just hits me sometimes, no matter how happy I would be with my gear. I just switch to something, even inferior stuff, just because I have this urge to stir things up again, no matter the cost or sensibility. It's like I build best possible rigs I can think of, and then sell them and start anew a little differently.

It's a disease called 'gear wanking' here. I have a friend who is a self-proclaimed gearwanker...only one day he visited this other fella who is a REAL gear swapper - he's got like 20 guitars and over a dozen amps at any given time and constantly half a dozen buy/sell ads in the local graigslist.

Seeing all that gear my buddy commented 'I now realize I ain't no gear wanker for real...I'm just a wanker!'

Well anyway.

Yeah I can see getting bored with much any guitar. That's why they make 'em different too :-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Then again, I'm also thinking of selling my entire rig, the Ceria and the cab, and get me a JVM combo instead.
    How much are used JVMs over there? Here on craigslist, they're going for very cheap, like $1200-1400 for the 410H. Considering they're like $2200 or something new, that seems really cheap to me.

I just hits me sometimes, no matter how happy I would be with my gear. I just switch to something, even inferior stuff, just because I have this urge to stir things up again, no matter the cost or sensibility. It's like I build best possible rigs I can think of, and then sell them and start anew a little differently.
    I can understand that. I was just commenting to someone recently that oftentimes I get really interested in resurrecting some old computer game for nostalgic reasons, which involves finding it, installing it, getting it to run in winxp or linux, etc. And when I finally start playing it, I often end up bored with it. It's like the chase to get it working and defeat that challenge is more fun than the game itself sometimes. It's weird, and I feel kind of helpless when it comes over me. Like I'm doing this inefficient thing that doesn't make sense, but I can't help it anyway.

I think guitars and music gear in general have the industry set up to play to this reflex that many of us have and exploit it as much as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Combos are costlier, around $1400 for used ones in great condition, heads usually $1200-1300 like over there.
    A new combo is almost exactly 2k, head is just 1700;- new.

Good analogy to computers (been there done that :-) and yeah, I do think this is a big factor for manufacturers for making profits...although, I always buy used (the last time I bought something new was just some studio gear).
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Currently my Tele is my most played instrument. I don't care for the in-between positions on a Strat. Everytime I pick-up my strat, I play it for a while, then switch back to my Tele. The Strat offers me nothing that my Tele won't give me (at my current skill level/musical interest). And, at least the Tele is not so ubiquitous as the Strat. Strats are beginning to seem mundane to me, if only because they are everywhere.

At this very moment, I'm waiting to hear back from someone on CL about trading my '94 MiM Squier Series Strat for an LTD Viper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    Currently my Tele is my most played instrument. I don't care for the in-between positions on a Strat. Every time I pick-up my strat, I play it for a while, then switch back to my Tele. The Strat offers me nothing that my Tele won't give me (at my current skill level/musical interest).
    +1
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky View Post
    Who called me a slut?

Nice carpet (lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Listen to one of the all time classic songs, now replace the guitar with another type of guitar. Would the song sound the same ?

Sultans of Swing..... on a Gibson ?
    Day Tripper..... on a Strat ?
    Whole lot of Love..... On a Strat
    Smoke on the water ..... Rickenbacker

Did the player choose the type of guitar for the sound or i just prefer the guitar?

The strat will always be my first choice of guitar,

Post Thanks / Like

No. But I sure wish I could make it sound like this:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    No. But I sure wish I could make it sound like this:
    Maybe some of those big fake teeth inserts would help give you some grip on the strings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I long for a strat because I really like the way they feel but I am and always be a peavey man!

Post Thanks / Like

While I may become bored of Stratocasters, I'm never bored when I'm with one
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Well said!

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, since my last post in this thread in April, 2010, I'm glad to say that my opinion on my Strat hasn't changed.

I love mine, and still marvel at its versatility, after almost 5 years of Strat ownership.

My GAS has changed, and does quite often for different instruments. An SSS Strat or a Tele would be most fun to add to the arsenal.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, over a year later since my last post too. I've been playing a lot of humbucking single cut guitars lately and really enjoying the sound and feel of them...but I'm not in the lest bit bored with my Strats. Every time I pick one up it's like coming home baby.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

With me its all about the neck. I love the thin slick neck of my Peavey T-60. The rest is all about the build. I can get any sound from a Strat to a Tele to a Gibson LP from my PV with the flick of a switch or the turn of a knob and never touch a pedal or my amp. Of course I swapped the original PV humbuckers for more vintage humbuckers that weren't as harsh. The result was a very rich and even tone that translates well from the lows to the highs. Gets me from country to blues to jazz to rock without having to switch guitars.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast