Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Versatile - tube amp combos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Versatile - tube amp combos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Versatile - tube amp combos

Hey guys,

I thought that I would get some of your feedback on versatile tube amp combos. I've been using modeling amps for some time now (currently using Vox AD120VTX and a Roland Cube 60), due to the flexibility and reliability. But occasionally I do miss having that fatter tube tone, or a smaller combo that packs a lot of punch that I can use for everything.

I've been considering getting a very flexible tube amp combo in the future.
    I've thought about the Bogner Alchemist or the Mesa Boogie Express 5:50.

The whole reason I switched to modeling amps in the past was due to tube reliability issues that I had battled on countless times with my old Rivera combo. (maybe this was just a fluke with that model?)

Do any of you have any thoughts about the amps I've listed above, or others like them that I should consider?

My wish list of features are the following:
    - quality (I'm willing to spend more for something that sounds good and holds up well)
    - tone (it's got to sound great. my current modeling amp sounds great, so I wouldn't switch unless it sounded at least this good)
    - versatility (I need it to be super versatile. I play with an oldies band, play for church services, and do recording work whenever I can. The only tones I don't really need are heavy metal. But it needs to excell at clean tones, blues, country, classic rock sounds. I just won't need it to do any dropped-d death metal kind of sounds. I'm way to old for that stuff anyway :-)
    - compact and expandable (I need something that is small enough to use for church gigs, but expandable via an extention cab or something for live shows where I need more volume)

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback on the ones I've listed so far.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

I'm far from an expert on these things Jim, but NW Basser, BC Don and I all tried out an Egnater Tweaker recently at Guitar Center. It was very impressive, and quite versatile. We tried the head/speaker combination, but there is a combo available. And it does have an external speaker out jack, too.

I can't say enough about how great this thing sounds. At least try one out, if you get the chance.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Tweaker is great, but looking at the wattages of Jim's existing amps, I'd point him toward the Rebel 30 2x12 (much more versatile than the Reb 20 or Tweaker) or even the Renegade 18/65 watt 2x12 combo (they have several other combo's).

That said, The Express 5:50 and the Alchemist are both incredible amps, and are easily among the best I've ever played. You can't go wrong with either, but the only issue you might have with the Mesa is the lack of a super jazz clean. That was the only short coming I could find.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback on this topic guys!

I haven't tried the Egnater amps at all, but they look like good quality stuff.

The only one I've tried so far is the Bogner Alchemist. I loved it! It's a very nice amp and gets some incredible sounds for blues or clean, in addition to screaming distorted tones.

I haven't tried the Boogie Express series, but from the online videos of it, I'm not crazy about the tone. It sounds ok, but it doesn't really impress me like these Alchemist amps do.

Here's some videos of both:
    Alchemist: http://www.bogneramplification.com/videos_alchemist.php

Mesa Boogie Express: http://www.mesaboogie.com/demo/ExpressDemo700.html

Maybe it's the difference between the players? The Alchemist just seems to have more of that tweed sound.

--Jim

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

My Line 6 Spider Valve MkII is a tube amp with modeling built in... very versatile and loud beast!

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I love those tones on the Spider Valve. It sounds as versatile as my Vox AD120VTX, but with more tube tone. This may be the one that I should get one day.

Does it come with a footswitch to turn on/off all the effects as you're playing? Does it do clean tones loudly or does it break up the clean tones when you turn up?

I should try one.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, it does clean tones VERY loud, no breaking up, unless you want that to happen - it could do it too if you want. Just turn up the gain more.

It has a footswitch to store all your preset you create. It's not free with the amp though - it's an additional buy (which is too bad, I wish amps always came with these things).

Yeah try one and see what you think.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree it sucks when it has a footswitch and you have to buy it seperate!To me that's misleading.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

My vote would be for the Mesa. I've owned a Maverick 2x12 for about eight years now and it has never let me down. I've never played the Alchemist but I have heard mixed reviews. I'm not a big fan of modeling amps but Robert does make that Spider sound good.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Hotrod Deluxe.

Just sayin'. :-)
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, play modelling gear..................and I'm also fond of my tube amps.

Compared to modelling amps, versatile is not a term I normally attach to tube amps. Each of them has a certain character, voice and response that is always present regardless of FX used.

I guess that's why I own a collection of both styles. My choice of amp hinges on the gig or my mood.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    My Line 6 Spider Valve MkII is a tube amp with modeling built in...
    Yeah, my Super Champ XD is the same deal, combo of modeling and tube, but in a smaller package (1x10, 15W). Have been using it in church as my stage monitor (lined out to PA), and in my acoustic-based folk rock/Americana band and been very happy with it. Played a show last night with it, and will use it for 2 shows with the same band tonight.

Picked it up on the cheap like new for $175 in a pawn. Great deal, though I dropped another $15 or so on the foot pedal from MF, for channel switching and effects on/off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Compared to modelling amps, versatile is not a term I normally attach to tube amps. Each of them has a certain character, voice and response that is always present regardless of FX used.
    +1

Typically a batch of pedals up front on a nice tube amp will give you the versaitilty you may need. Probably why there is a gazillion pedals to choose from.

Here's a new amp line that are pretty versatile and most of the amp functions are on the pedal.
    http://www.boltamps.com/pages/Isolat...0combo112.html

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the Peavey Vypyr 60 watt tube modeler. Excellent tones for the money. I would be wary of the knobs, though. They do flex a bit and may be fragile.

In the same line as the Super Champ XD is the Fender Deluxe Vintage Modified. Not necessarily a modeler, but is a combo of tubes and digital effects / reverb. Also available as a head / cab version in the Band Master Vintage Modified. Greg Koch made a vid floating around You Tube where the amp sounds amazing. Of course, Mr. Koch could plug into a potato and make it sound incredible, and serve up tasty french fries when he's done.

Marshall has the Haze line, with a 40 watt combo. Two channel tube amp with built in effects. They also have the new JMD:1 series that looks awesome. A bit pricey, though.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I think the Peavey Vypyr looks good on paper, but it sounded awful to me. The Vypyr I tried did, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

super camp xd,
    Guitar/ Ibanez GAX 70, Squier standard Strat, Epi plus top Honey Burst
    Amps/ Epiphone Blues Custom 30, Fender XP Vibro Champ 5 Watt tube Amp
    Randall RX 15
    Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I have to say I think the Peavey Vypyr looks good on paper, but it sounded awful to me. The Vypyr I tried did, anyway.
    Ditto, Robert. I really wanted to like it, too. The Classics are such nice amphs, the Windsors were great bang-for-the-buck amphs, but I just didn't care for the Vypyr I played. It had a weird noise all the time.......
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got a chance to test drive the Line6 Spider Valve. I was blown away with the variety of tones you can get from this amp, and the tones were very tube-like and 3 dimensional. My only nit was the it was somewhat less intuitive to use than my Vox modeling amp, but the tones were amazing. The guy at Guitar Center said that they're selling them like crazy right now because people are liking the flexibility, of having the tube tone but the programmability of a modeling amp, etc.

For what I do, this is the type of amp I would use a lot since you can setup a variety of sounds to fit whatever style you need to cover. Now if I can convince myself that it will hold up well and not fail on my in the middle of a gig (the way my old Rivera amp used to) then there may be reason to switch from my trusty Vox valvetronix and buy this thing along with the foot pedal (a must for these types of programable amps)

--Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's very flexible and sounds good. I used it for our most recent gig, and I had fantastic tone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast