Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good sounding delay pedal - reccomendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a good sounding delay pedal - reccomendations?

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a good sounding delay pedal. I've had a Boss DD-5 for a long time but I sold it. I'm looking for something that will give me more of a warmer sound like an old tape echo, but with versatile controls to cover lots of different things. I'm willing to spend more $ for something that really sounds good. I use delay alot for doing accompaniment parts behind vocalists, etc. I use delay efffects and volume pedal swells to add spacious sounds, and sometimes use the whammy bar to imitate pedal steel sounds. I want something that sounds really warm and spacious.

Here are the ones I'm considering:
    T-Rex Replica Delay
    Boss RE-20 Space Echo Delay
    Any others that I should look at?

Some of the features that I'd really like to have:
    - good simulation of tape echo (without the tape, and reliability problems)
    - tap tempo

Thanks for any suggestions.
    -- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think my Boss DD-20 sounds great.

Have a look at the Nova delay too.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My instructor's Nova was good sounding I thought. I love the sound of my MXR Carbon Copy, and I think it covers the warms sounds you are thinking about, but no tap tempo.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Line 6's Echo Park works well for me...!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ MXR carbon copy good buy good pedal.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

The Boss DD-20 looks awesome. It has several different delay modes and presets, plus tap tempo. I could really use this. The youtube clips sounded very good for the modes that I would use (tape echo and modulation mode) I will check out this one for sure.

-- Jim

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it Jim. Best delay pedal I have ever used. In order to use tap tempo in a convenient way, you should also get the FS-5U - http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...p?ProductId=57
    Makes it easier to do tap tempo.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I REALLY like using a Nova Delay for several reasons....
    1: best rhythm delay settings
    2: small in size
    3: it can light up a baseball stadium

Post Thanks / Like

MXR analog FTW!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I checked out the Nova delay pedal online. This one looks awesome too. I think that either one of these (Roland DD-20, or TC Electronics Nova) would be great for me. I have to decide which one would work best for my setup. I'll try to test drive these at Guitar Center. That's the only way to know for sure. The user reviews on both of these seem to be very good.

I like that rhythm feature on the Nova for setting the delay time, that's kind of cool.

-- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Our own FRET VOODOOMAN makes a great pedal to we had one made......he does nice work ..........but we have not fully discovered the ping pong delay yet ..................but we will !!!: He made us another T.S. on steroids pedal that gets worked out
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    I checked out the Nova delay pedal online. This one looks awesome too. I think that either one of these (Roland DD-20, or TC Electronics Nova) would be great for me. I have to decide which one would work best for my setup. I'll try to test drive these at Guitar Center. That's the only way to know for sure. The user reviews on both of these seem to be very good.

I like that rhythm feature on the Nova for setting the delay time, that's kind of cool.

-- Jim
    did you see the vid I found of the Nova when I was shopping for a delay? It was pretty impressive. It was in my delay shopping thread: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9184
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I've been gigging pretty heavily with the DD-20 for the last two years and it's been great. I think the Nova is probably a better pedal but the DD-20 has an interface that's easier to use.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

The TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay is the baby brother to the Nova delay pedal..Easier interface + it s cheaper..

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the DanEcho. It's pretty low-fi but people say it's got a nice tape echo sim that sounds pretty warm. I'm not a delay expert, but I like it.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at the new model Tech21 Boost DLA with tap tempo and tape sim "flutter" control. Pretty simple but sounds great. The vid shows the old model without tap.

Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Have a look at the new model Tech21 Boost DLA with tap tempo and tape sim "flutter" control. Pretty simple but sounds great. The vid shows the old model without tap.

I have the first model along with the Boost RVB. I love it. I would seriously consider this great pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check out the smaller version of the Line 6 M13 called the M9 that will be coming out the beginning of October. The delays are fabulous and you can stack 3 of them or whatever other effect you might desire for not much more $ than the Nova or Boss units.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just bought an MXR Carbon Copy and love the warm analog sound. I read up and decided against a few other delay pedals, mostly due to them failing all too frequently.

I ordered it Friday night, as in late, and it showed up Monday noon. Sweetwater even threw in candy and a Dunlop Ultex 1.14 mm sharp pick. Nice to do business with!

Edit: Dunlop demo...
    Last edited by Tig; March 22nd, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast