Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
A Dare . . . - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Dare . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Bingo, Supertramp for me too. And John Denver.

And Neil Giraldo is one hell of a guitar player.
    Ok, I might still listen to Supertramp. At least Crime of the Century and particularly School.

I won't apologize for that one. I still love the piano solo.

And John Denver wrote the first "chord song" I learned on guitar. But that song was assigned not chosen.

Captain and Tenille, Sweet, yep. I listened to them. What about this one?

Ok, I might be embarrassed now.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    LOL!! This is great! Marnold, that was classic and gave me a much needed laugh.
    And people wonder why I turned to metal . . .

No shame in liking Pat Benatar. I even found a way to like her shimmy-shake in the lamentable "Love Is a Battlefield" video.

Of course, due to my mother's record collection, during the 70s I was only exposed to:
    50's pop (not the worst thing in the world)
    Oak Ridge Boys (smokin' cigarettes and watching Capt. Kangaroo)
    The Lettermen
    Barry Manilow

The only good thing is that I was mostly spared disco. I repeat: And people wonder why I turned to metal . . .

Remember, every time someone plays "Wildfire" a puppy gets rabies.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I was born in '78 but my musical roots were firmly planted in the '80's metal scene. Yes, that does include hair metal. All I listened to was Poison and the like.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in grade school, we got to take a field trip to our local AM station, and each kid got to take a 45 home with them. Mine was Sweet - Fox On the Run. I loved that song.

But as long as we're being honest...I did listen to this one over and over, and yes, I am ashamed. In my defense, I was young.

-Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely if you're going to have a Captain and Toenail (thks, Kinky Friedmann) song it has to be this sordid paean to randy rodents

Last edited by markb; April 29th, 2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: better adjective
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw

Ok, I might be embarrassed now.
    Ha...large chunks of his acoustic guitar solo sounds like the wanking that comes out of my guitar sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Ha...large chunks of his acoustic guitar solo sounds like the wanking that comes out of my guitar sometimes.
    If you can sing like that as well, I'd say you've got a shot, Eric.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I think I match these for questionable taste. It was 1969. I was 12. There was a girl.

(And consider this note posted by one of the UTube Andy Kimm fans.
    '# Junglehike I have been listening to this song like 30 times today. Apparently a friend of mine in Japan told me the singer is Andy Kim. Arigato Ochiai-san...! My favorite...! It used to be a big hit in Indonesia in the early 70s. I can flip my underwear....!! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J4x2AOLoB0
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott
    I think I match these for questionable taste. It was 1969. I was 12. There was a girl.

(And consider this note posted by one of the UTube Andy Kimm fans.
    '# Junglehike I have been listening to this song like 30 times today. Apparently a friend of mine in Japan told me the singer is Andy Kim. Arigato Ochiai-san...! My favorite...! It used to be a big hit in Indonesia in the early 70s. I can flip my underwear....!! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J4x2AOLoB0
    Thanks for that, helliott...my ears are bleeding and I can't get it to stop....
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This thread is hilarious! Lame songs through the decades. LOL!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I was noodling the other day, and the guitar lick of 'Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress' (Hollies) came to me. I was never particularly a Hollies fan, but that song was always catchy, thoughI could never understand more than half the words (I would fill them in in typical nonsense lyric fashion when singing along). So I looked up the lyrics - what a lame songwriting job! I am embarrassed to think of it now.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

pes_laul Guest

Hmm I do not know. im still just a kid pretty much haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Dr. Hook Story

I can't remember a song that I liked that I am or was ashamed of. Alot of people thought "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks was lame, but I loved it. It was a rewrite, in English, of a Serge Gainsbourgh hit in French...

The Dr. Hook story: In abt 1971 or 72, towards the end of my gigging days, Dr. Hook was booked in Miami for a big Friday night show. I was backstage and struck up a friendship with Billy Francis (the keyboard player - left rear in the video). They were in town for a couple of days after that show, taking a break and hitting the beach - relaxing.

Billy and I hung out, went to the beach, had dinner, drove around and he met some of my friends and family, stuff like that... I intro'd him to my soon to be ex-wife's best girlfriend and they boffed alot at our house in the wee small hours...she was living with us in our spare bedroom. In our talks, Billy got around to asking me if I'd be interested in replacing their bass player, as he just wasn't gelling w the rest of the band and they were looking to get rid of him. Billy recommended me to Ray Sawyer (eye patch) and Dennis Lacorriere (stoned talker) and myself, Billy, Ray and Dennis jammed at my house. They were onboard for my coming along and replacing the bass player on tour and permanently like, immediately...

After much consideration, I declined, as I was going thru a divorce, had a one year old son, and, quite frankly, was REALLY tired of the road. And, yes, Ray and Dennis, especially, were BIG stoners and totally crazy. I wasn't a stoner and that was another part of my decision making - putting up with totally baked band leaders.

BTW, the late, great Shel Silverstein wrote most all the lyrics to their first couple of albums (including their first hit, "Sylvia's Mother"...anyone remember that one?) and was a "part of the band", so to speak.

Anyway, I didn't take the invite, and the rest is not history...not my history, anyway. They ended up selling out to MOR crap like "Only Sixteen" and others, which diehard fans like myself hated, but, of course, that's when they had truly big hits and made really big money! I kept in touch w Billy for some time after that initial meeting. When I first met him, his phone # and address were an apartment in California. When thay went MOR and really made money, he bought a nice house, had a few nice cars - really great guy and he deserved the success.

I always wondered how I would have ended up had I gone w them, but never really regretted my decision...really!

And, back to the original thread, I knew what I didn't like when I heard it, and the ONLY album I ever burned, literally, was Freddie and The Dreamers' album that had their one hit on it. Can't remember the name of it. Thankfully! (Ah, hell, I just remembered it - "Do the Freddie" I think it was...)

Sorry to be so long-winded, but it's a good story from my past gigging musician days, rubbing elbows with some greats and many not so greats.

The end. Finally!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My memory can no longer suppress this bit of damaging information. At the risk of losing the small amount of street cred I may have scraped up from the gutter, and possibly becoming a rock target for life, I will now confess:

For a very small amount of time in the early 80's, I owned and listened to... this is difficult, so bear with me...
    An Adam and the Ants cassette.
    There, I said it, and feel much relieved. All I can say is that it was just a silly, fun, pointless bit of fun (partially to do with a girlfriend, of course).

Go ahead... Ban me! I've earned it!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

For a very small amount of time in the early 80's, I owned and listened to... this is difficult, so bear with me...
    There, I said it, and feel much relieved. All I can say is that it was just a silly, fun, pointless bit of fun (partially to do with a girlfriend, of course).
    Wow, lots of people blaming their girlfriends around here...
    Alright play it straight Tig, don't tell me you would switch off Stand and Deliver or Ant Music. You'd still get into it wouldn't you?

Any act with two drum kits can't be all bad...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    My memory can no longer suppress this bit of damaging information. At the risk of losing the small amount of street cred I may have scraped up from the gutter, and possibly becoming a rock target for life, I will now confess:

Go ahead... Ban me! I've earned it!
    You haven't lost any...um...street cred with me, Doug. I'm not ashamed to have listened to Adam and the Ants. That was actually pretty good stuff. And like Syo says, any band with two drummers can't be all bad! I listened to a lot of "New Wave" stuff in the 80s, as well as metal and punk. I was diverse even then; or was it just fence sitting?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    You haven't lost any...um...street cred with me, Doug. I'm not ashamed to have listened to Adam and the Ants. That was actually pretty good stuff. And like Syo says, any band with two drummers can't be all bad! I listened to a lot of "New Wave" stuff in the 80s, as well as metal and punk. I was diverse even then; or was it just fence sitting?
    I'm the the musically diverse club as well. In the 80's I'd listen to music from
    Metallica to Elvis Costello,
    The Cure, Husker Du, Meat Puppets,
    Miles Davis, Pretenders, Steely Dan, Neil Young,
    Depeche Mode, XTC, Public Image Ltd, TSOL, Black Flag,
    MDC, REM, Guns N' Roses, King's X, Fang, Jodie Foster's Army,
    Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd, Queen, Adam Ant, Ramones, The Clash, The Jam,
    The Police, The Cars, UB40, English Beat, Talk Talk, Echo and the Bunnymen,
    Siouxsie and the Banshees, Devo, Dead Kennedeys, Iron Maiden, Stray Cats, Anthrax,
    Megadeth, New Order, Jesus and Mary Chain...

This is about 1/4 of the bands I had albums of and listened to, not including dozens of small punk bands that toured across the states.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I'm the the musically diverse club as well. In the 80's I'd listen to music from
    Metallica to Elvis Costello,
    The Cure, Husker Du, Meat Puppets,
    Miles Davis, Pretenders, Steely Dan, Neil Young,
    Depeche Mode, XTC, Public Image Ltd, TSOL, Black Flag,
    MDC, REM, Guns N' Roses, King's X, Fang, Jodie Foster's Army,
    Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd, Queen, Adam Ant, Ramones, The Clash, The Jam,
    The Police, The Cars, UB40, English Beat, Talk Talk, Echo and the Bunnymen,
    Siouxsie and the Banshees, Devo, Dead Kennedeys, Iron Maiden, Stray Cats, Anthrax,
    Megadeth, New Order, Jesus and Mary Chain...

This is about 1/4 of the bands I had albums of and listened to, not including dozens of small punk bands that toured across the states.
    I listened to pretty much all of those except the metal guys. Add Talking Heads, The Kingbees, Men at Work, The Violent Femmes, The Romantics, AC/DC, Def Leppard, The Tubes, Springsteen, Van Halen, Jimmy Cliff, The Cult, Lou Reed, SRV, Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper, Prince, . . . etc. There are lots more. Oh, and Adam Ant too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12