Thread: A Dare . . .

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

A bunch of good posts here... and I really don't think any are truly shameful.

I can remember digging this song as a kid... who am I kidding, I just found myself smiling when I dug it up.

Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Dr. Hook Story

I can't remember a song that I liked that I am or was ashamed of. Alot of people thought "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks was lame, but I loved it. It was a rewrite, in English, of a Serge Gainsbourgh hit in French...

The Dr. Hook story: In abt 1971 or 72, towards the end of my gigging days, Dr. Hook was booked in Miami for a big Friday night show. I was backstage and struck up a friendship with Billy Francis (the keyboard player - left rear in the video). They were in town for a couple of days after that show, taking a break and hitting the beach - relaxing.

Billy and I hung out, went to the beach, had dinner, drove around and he met some of my friends and family, stuff like that... I intro'd him to my soon to be ex-wife's best girlfriend and they boffed alot at our house in the wee small hours...she was living with us in our spare bedroom. In our talks, Billy got around to asking me if I'd be interested in replacing their bass player, as he just wasn't gelling w the rest of the band and they were looking to get rid of him. Billy recommended me to Ray Sawyer (eye patch) and Dennis Lacorriere (stoned talker) and myself, Billy, Ray and Dennis jammed at my house. They were onboard for my coming along and replacing the bass player on tour and permanently like, immediately...

After much consideration, I declined, as I was going thru a divorce, had a one year old son, and, quite frankly, was REALLY tired of the road. And, yes, Ray and Dennis, especially, were BIG stoners and totally crazy. I wasn't a stoner and that was another part of my decision making - putting up with totally baked band leaders.

BTW, the late, great Shel Silverstein wrote most all the lyrics to their first couple of albums (including their first hit, "Sylvia's Mother"...anyone remember that one?) and was a "part of the band", so to speak.

Anyway, I didn't take the invite, and the rest is not history...not my history, anyway. They ended up selling out to MOR crap like "Only Sixteen" and others, which diehard fans like myself hated, but, of course, that's when they had truly big hits and made really big money! I kept in touch w Billy for some time after that initial meeting. When I first met him, his phone # and address were an apartment in California. When thay went MOR and really made money, he bought a nice house, had a few nice cars - really great guy and he deserved the success.

I always wondered how I would have ended up had I gone w them, but never really regretted my decision...really!

And, back to the original thread, I knew what I didn't like when I heard it, and the ONLY album I ever burned, literally, was Freddie and The Dreamers' album that had their one hit on it. Can't remember the name of it. Thankfully! (Ah, hell, I just remembered it - "Do the Freddie" I think it was...)

Sorry to be so long-winded, but it's a good story from my past gigging musician days, rubbing elbows with some greats and many not so greats.

The end. Finally!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.