Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Dare . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default A Dare . . .

I dare you to admit a song you really liked and played over and over in your youth, but now realize was extremely lame to your ears now. For me, those songs existed largely in middle school when I first discovered girls and got all pie faced and sappy about it. My lame song I dare to admit:

10cc I'm not in Love.

Ok, GO! I dare you.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fair enough...can't really think of ever playing any lame song somebody else made, as right from the start I almost exclusively played my own songs.

I did learn a handful of songs like Heaven & Hell and Fade to Black etc. but they aren't lame to me even now.

BUT some of my own songs sure were lame...here's one off my second ever studio session...it was, um, 1989 and I was ~18...singer/songwriter/guitarist...forgive me, I had only really done it for a year by that time. As a side note the clean guitar is a Bill Lawrence tele D/I and the driven is an am.std.strat with lace sensors into a JCM800 half-stack.

http://deeaa.pp.fi/WorldOfMine.mp3

Pretty damned lame, even saxophones etc. Back then I was still into blues and jazz and all that lame-o stuff, because I hadn't really learned to play and sing rock yet ;-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, I didn't mean you had to have played it yourself musically. I only played that 10cc song on an 8 track tape or something. I just meant one you listened to a lot. I would not call your personal work lame.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ah, OK...well I grew up on classical & some jazzy stuff, but when I was maybe nine or ten, my sister had some pop stuff I would probably not listen to any more...like...can't find them on YouTube...Clyde Shelton Singers or something...and some, like Jackson 5 or similar I listened to for a while before I found Judas Priest :-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of (mostly manufactured) glam rock like The Sweet

But I don't regret T. Rex.

Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

The first cassette tape I ever got was the Village People "Go West".

Let us never speak of this again.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to participate in this thread, but honestly I've rocked since day one.

:-D
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Not too long after my gramma gave me a pocket transistor radio, it became pretty clear to my parents that I was sicko for sound. They got me one of those little record players in the close up case, you know, with the fuzzy grey turntable? Man, did I wear out those 45's. OK, here comes the embarrassing part, man this is tough ~~~
    G GG Gaaaa Gary Lewis and the Playboys. There, I said it. LOL I used to come home from school and sing my little slowly dropping nuts off. But I widened my horizons quickly and was singin' Da Do Ron Ron before you knew it. There was a bunch of good stuff. When the records got so worn out they skipped constantly I tried something I heard somewhere. I took my mom's lipstick and rubbed it on the record. When that spike of a needle ran through it like a plow it filled in the low spots of the ridges and it worked for a while. Uh, yeah, it did make a major mess

Post Thanks / Like

10cc I'm not in Love.

Guess I was more stoned back then than I thought I was,cause I always thought Paul McCartney and Wings sang that song.I was always thinking man where's the Beatles? Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's a good thread...and there are many songs that sound lame to my ears whn I isten to them now, but I loved listening to them when I was young.

My no 1 "so lame now song" is: Wonderful Life by Black - a British band

BUT there is one song I loved it since I was a kid, I played it a million times, and everytime I listen to it I like it like it was the first time I'm listening to it.

The song is called "No Easy Way Out" by Robert Tepper. This song is from the ROCKY IV soundtrack - man, I love that song!!!!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

10cc "I'm Not in Love"? Um, me too!
    Although sappy as can be, I loved the synth vocal sounds in the song. Even today, I still like that sound when I'm goofing around on a synth.

I'm trying to remember anything I liked back then that is embarassing... Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo album? Nahhh, it rocked!
    How about some of Supertramp's music? I wasn't a big fan, but their bass player, Dougie Thompson, was over at our house one night in 1981... Friend of a friend kinda thing.
    I'll admit that I was a Pat Benitar fan. She had some serious pipes and was cute as a button back then.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    How about some of Supertramp's music? I wasn't a big fan, but their bass player, Dougie Thompson, was over at our house one night in 1981... Friend of a friend kinda thing.
    Bingo, Supertramp for me too. And John Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I'll admit that I was a Pat Benitar fan. She had some serious pipes and was cute as a button back then.
    And Neil Giraldo is one hell of a guitar player.

Post Thanks / Like

The whole album "The Monkees".

I was only 13 then and the real 60's rock explosion was just in it's infancy...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's just say that in retrospect, Leroy Brown might not be as bas as his reputation might otherwise suggest.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for The Sweet. For me it was Fox on the Run.

By the way, is that David St. Hubbins on vocals?
    Desolation Blvd. Was the first album I ever sold. I felt some shame/embarrassment about 4 years after buying it. Runner up goes to Carry on My Wayward Son. Second album I ever sold...

Btw... "I'm Not in Love" still one of my all time faves. Know nothing else from 10cc but that one does it for me every time.

Post Thanks / Like

A bunch of good posts here... and I really don't think any are truly shameful.

I can remember digging this song as a kid... who am I kidding, I just found myself smiling when I dug it up.

Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

"Destination Boulevard" was a great album. :-)

And I just heard that Captain and Tenille song at the store.. LOL
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL!! This is great! Marnold, that was classic and gave me a much needed laugh. Spud, so how stoned do you think the guy talking in the Dr. Hook video was?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast