Thread: Dunlop CryBaby noise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dunlop CryBaby noise

Got an original CryBaby (GCB-95), stock - no mods. Rocking it forwards, there's a loud annoying noise everytime I click the switch...whether on or off. I assume the noise is from the switch itself. Will replacing the switch cure things, or is there something else to try first?
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

If it makes noise whether on or off check your cables first. The thing that wears out the fastest is the potentiometer so that would be next followed by the switch. If it has the ability to accept AC input then it might be possible that it got wrong voltage at some time and zorched something inside. Those are pretty much your options.

What kind of noise is it? Can you describe it in more detail?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a loud buzzy "Zonk!" sound when the button is pressed. Guitar volume all the way off makes no difference in volume. The pedal sounds & works great, it's just the noise when the button is pushed is all. Guitar to pedal to amp, no other effects. I can just leave the pedal on, and leave it at that. But when I click the button to bypass, thats when I get the noise. Make sense? Kinda?

Edit - No a/c, just battery operated d/c. An old original.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

hmm. i remember hearing something like that when my pot was on its way out.

also, the hinge thing (technical terminology there ^_^) on the pedal could (theoretically) make a funny noise when you rock it back and forth.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

The switch might be the least expensive thing to try first. Before you buy one or remove the one you have - do you you have any contact cleaner you can shoot into the switch to see if that changes anything?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have a can of cleaner around here somewhere. Good idea.

The noise happens only when the switch is depressed - the 'hinge thing' seems fine. It "wah's" just great

Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, sound like the switch or the pot.

The switch should be a Carling SPDT. If it's the pot, you'll have the chance to upgrade to something like the Dunlop Hot Potz II-ECB24B 100k-ohm pot.

The switch is about $12.95, the pot about $20.00-$25.00.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.