Thread: unbuntu 10.04 LTS -

Post Thanks / Like

Default unbuntu 10.04 LTS -

Just updated to the new version of unbuntu, looking good so far and the horrible brown/orange has gone. Not as slick as Windows 7, but getting there.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently made the switch too. I agree it's pretty slick, but I think that has come at the expense of performance. Everything seems a little slower. Mind you, this is on my 5-year-old computer, but the point remains. Maybe I should go to XFCE as my gui. I liked it the one time I tried it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Turn off some of the eye-candy by "System-->Preferences-->Appearance Preferences," then click on "Visual Effects" and select "None." Switching to a more light weight window manager, like XFCE, will certainly speed things up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Everything seems a little slower. Mind you, this is on my 5-year-old computer, but the point remains. Maybe I should go to XFCE as my gui. I liked it the one time I tried it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Turn off some of the eye-candy by "System-->Preferences-->Appearance Preferences," then click on "Visual Effects" and select "None." Switching to a more light weight window manager, like XFCE, will certainly speed things up too.
    Thanks. I couldn't get the visual effects to work very well anyway, so I had already turned them off -- is that what that 'compiz' thing is in the system monitor?

I think there are a couple of other tweaks I might try after I get XFCE on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner