Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Going to replace my first pickup...question(s)

Thread: Going to replace my first pickup...question(s)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going to replace my first pickup...question(s)

I've got this pretty cheap BC Rich Mockingbird Masterpiece that I can't even sell for $200 so I've decided to make it a project guitar.

This guitar has 2 humbuckers, 2 volumes, 1 tone and a 3 way switch. Very Les Paul'ish.

I've decided to try a Rockfield Select Wound Vintage for the neck replacement. So this is the first time I've ever tried such a thing. I have some electronics/soldering experience so not a total noob there.

Here's the wiring diagram:
    http://www.rockfieldpickups.com/images/lrg_neck.gif

Pretty simple, a start and finish for each coil, and one for ground. My question is where do I solder the start/finish ends? I assume that one has to go to the volume pot right?

Pretty sure I can do this with a little guidance from the more experienced persons found here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

wow sweet! thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey dude,

Commodore 64 pretty much nailed your question, outright

But there are also 3 other places that you can get some invaluable wiring advice/tips/inspiration:

http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm

http://www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/drawings.html

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ckup_diagrams/

It's illegal in some countries for any of us tinkerers to tinker without at least one of these sites in our bookmarks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Actually I found a SD Pearly Gates pickup locally for $60, so I think I'll drop that in my Epi Les Paul, then take the stock LP pickup and put it in the mockingbird. It'll be an improvement in both guitars that's for sure.

I have no fear armed with these many resources...I'll let you all know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr
    It'll be an improvement in both guitars that's for sure.
    Haha! Yeah, I've had a BC Rich Warlock for about 8 1/2 years now. Everything about the guitar is lovely. . . except the electronics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    Haha! Yeah, I've had a BC Rich Warlock for about 8 1/2 years now. Everything about the guitar is lovely. . . except the electronics
    I landed an NJ Warlock a couple weeks ago for $200 - after a little TLC, it's a great player, very nice neck and solid feel. But it does have the BDSM humbuckers and I'll want to replace those at some point. I figure I'll go w/ DiMarzio's for that one for a more "shredding" type of tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr
    I landed an NJ Warlock a couple weeks ago for $200 - after a little TLC, it's a great player, very nice neck and solid feel. But it does have the BDSM humbuckers and I'll want to replace those at some point. I figure I'll go w/ DiMarzio's for that one for a more "shredding" type of tone.
    An NJ for $200!?! I got my NJ back in '01 for $501.16, so you got a pretty good deal. Yeah, Bessie, I love her! She's retired for the most part now, but there were ever only really 2 things wrong with her:

1 - The appalling Far East hardware

2 - The appalling electronics.

I put a Dimebucker in the bridge, and ripped out all of those horrible mini-pots and replaced them with CTS. Much better. Also had a luthier look at her back in '04 and he hammered some fretwire into the points, which saves them from further damage, and looks hella sweet. Metal is seeping from the core of my guitar!