Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crate CPB150 PowerBlock?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Well . . . I hope you're happy Justa' - those sound clips you posted all but sealed the deal for me.
    Without giving away the answer...and honestly now... out of curiosity... did you pick the right one Nelskie?

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope - not even close. I'm almost embarassed to say which ones I thought were which. After reading that post further, however, I didn't feel so bad. That thread also gave me an idea for another "tone test" for us to try here on FN. Stay tuned . . .

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a catalog from Music 123 and their Power Block price is $199. So...it looks like the current price of $99 that we know of is a little better than a 2 for 1 price.

Hmmm...should I? Since each head can run in stereo if I ran 2 of them in stereo would that be quad?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I just got a catalog from Music 123 and their Power Block price is $199. So...it looks like the current price of $99 that we know of is a little better than a 2 for 1 price.

Hmmm...should I? Since each head can run in stereo if I ran 2 of them in stereo would that be quad?
    At least one more.. that means you also need two more for backups for the two you get...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    that means you also need two more for backups for the two you get...
    Ya. That's what I was thinking. That way when the tubes go bad in one I can just grab another fresh one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    That way when the tubes go bad in one I can just grab another fresh one.
    I just can't find them glowing colors...I hear them..just can't find them!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up CPB-150 - First impressions . . .

My *new* Crate Power Block arrived yesterday afternoon, and needless to say, I was pretty excited to put it through its initial paces. Here are my first impressions:

1.) Design / Construction / Functionality - First off, the idea of a full-featured 150W guitar amp being smaller than a standard-sized toaster is ground-breaking anyway you look it (and I LOVE toast!) Like Line 6, Crate has positioned itself as a market innovator, and the Power Block (referred to forthwith as "PB") is certainly a huge step beyond anything that has preceded it. So, big kudos to them for bringing such a great product from conception all the way to reality. Secondly, the PB is a beautifully constructed piece of gear. The electronics are housed in a sturdy, smartly-designed finned aluminum housing with clearly marked controls on front and back. The multitude of line-in / out connections allow for wide parameters of use, for just about every kind of player - garage warrior to performing professional. The five knurled knobs on the front control panel are easy to use, and provide excellent scaling and articulate adjustment. A headphone jack offers the player an option for silent practice. The bright, icy-blue "power-on" light in the center of the "A" is also a cool touch, as is the custom-fitted, padded shoulder carrying case that comes with it! Overall, I give the PB high marks for design, construction, and functionality. Now having set the benchmark in this particular niche of the market, I can only imagine what great things Crate will be doing next with this product platform.

2.) Tone - Well, there probably isn't much that I can add that hasn't already been said or posted elsewhere. As Spudman and Justa have already mentioned, this lil' feller is ripe with usable tones - especially in the OD / gain dept. Right after plugging it in, I wasted no time in revisiting some of my core 80's setlist - Motley Crue, RATT, Whitesnake, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Dio, Iron Maiden, etc. Ah yes . . . those unforgettable high-gain tones that ruled the planet during my early playing years were instantly on tap - in all of their spandex-clad, big-hair'ed, solid-state glory. I must have played for an hour straight, not even once cognizant of the passage of time. I then decided to take things one step "beyond", and introduced my TS-9 Tube Screamer into the equation. Strangely enough, I even remembered some of my old pedal settings (which in and of itself was kind of a weird deja' vu). The stupid smile that spread across my face after playing the intro to Motley's "Too Fast For Love" (early Motley is so deliciously dirty) - - absolutely priceless. Houston control - - we have ignition.

On the cleaner side of things, the TB proved more than up to the task. Switching to the neck position on both my # 1 Les Paul and MIJ Strat yielded warm and complex tones. I used the "boost" feature on my Marshall Bluesbreaker for added sparkle and definition to the various clean timbres I dialed in - very nice indeed. I see no reason to compare the PB's cleans to my Fender Super Reverb's, because these amps are two totally different animals. The PB simply offers the player another "flavor" of clean, and there's no doubt that there will be some instances where that clean tone will be more effective (ex. recording background parts to a song.) My only gripe - and really, it's somewhat insignificant as far as tone is concerned - is that the PB doesn't have a reverb function - something which could easily be added in the upcoming model line revisions. For now, adding reverb is nothing more than putting a good multi-effects processor (like the Zoom G2) or stand-alone pedal (like a Marshall Reflector) in front of it.

In my opinion, the PB is a fantastic little piece of equipment. It does what it does very well, and in extremely satisfying fashion. For me, its most prominent feature was its classic, high-gain, all solid-state 80's tone. And even if it serves me in that capacity only, then it's already well-worth the $99 price tag. Now having some familiarity with its other features, I can see that it will see frequent use with both my PODxt and G2 effects processors as well.

As long as MF is blowing out these units for $99 (and I saw a "limited supply" logo next to the price on the MF website, so their stock must be dwindling), all I can say is get your tail over there and get one. Like the Valve Jr., the PB offers tons of usable tones, is a total gas to play through, and won't have you eating Ramen noodles for the next six months to pay for it.

I'll post more as play it more with different guitars, and experiment with some of its other features (line-out; stereo function; PODxt / G2; effects loop).
    Last edited by Nelskie; November 12th, 2006 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your in a solid state nirvana at the moment Nelskie! (if a nirvana can be described as solid). What did you plug it in to? A 4x12? Headphones?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    What did you plug it in to? A 4x12? Headphones?
    I'm using my Peavey 112E extension cab, which has a 12" Eminence Swamp Thang in it (also a high wattage speaker). It sounds great with the Power Block.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club brutha. Glad that you believed what we were saying too. I'm really happy that I just got one out of the blue myself. I haven't even started to tap into all the features it has. I'm just using it to amplify my guitar for now and that is keeping me nicely satiated.

So...ya, what Nelskie said. Go get one before the price goes up or they vanish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    I'm using my Peavey 112E extension cab, which has a 12" Eminence Swamp Thang in it (also a high wattage speaker). It sounds great with the Power Block.
    Just be careful, a 150 wattage power amp can do nasty things to speakers!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Just be careful, a 150 wattage power amp can do nasty things to speakers!
    Yes, I'm aware of that. At this point, there's nothing but practice-level wattages running through the 112E. However, I am considering getting a 2 x 12 cab to use with this and my Valve Jr. head. Maybe Santa will bring me one, along with a couple of new Eminence speakers . . . ?

Post Thanks / Like

Oohhh.. We might have to adress you as "Your Eminence" in the future Nelskie

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I just got a Guitar Center clearence sale flyer that has the Crate Power Block for $79.00. I wonder if we can get the difference if we paid 99.00 for it. That is darn cheap for this little amp.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Hello,

I just got a Guitar Center clearence sale flyer that has the Crate Power Block for $79.00. I wonder if we can get the difference if we paid 99.00 for it. That is darn cheap for this little amp.

M29
    Depending on where and when you bought it.

Musicians Friend has a 45 day price guarantee. Meaning, if you find it for less within 45 days of purchase they will credit you back the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone at FDP says they're $69.00 now.........
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting pretty good GAS for this thing. I heard a video clip of it that sounded awesome. Hmm...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck Rob for the money it would make a neat little addition for whatever we geetar players and bass players do. I'm thinking of getting one now. The stereo amph part of it sounds interesting. Anyone running theirs like that? Even mono sounded good at GC that day I was trying delay pedals through it. I think this is the last you'll see of that model at this price....unless they decide to go as low as $49.00
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123