Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Ungd...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ungd...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ungd...

...i.e. Unexpected New Guitar Day.

I mentioned elsewhere here that I really liked the looks of the new Squier Classic Vibe Tele Custom model and wanted to try one out. So I e-mailed a couple of the local guitar shops (not GC!) last week and asked if they had one in stock. No luck with either, but they both said they'd let me know if they got one in.

Well, this morning I get an e-mail from one of them, saying that they just had one come in, so I drove up there during lunch to try it out. I told the young fellow that was helping me that I wanted to play it side-by-side with the CV 50's model, to hear the difference. So he grabs a CV 50's off the wall, which happens to be a used one marked $230. I played 'em both through a Princeton Reverb, and while both played great, I really preferred the sound of the 50's model. The Custom was brighter & spankier sounding--must be the Alnico 5's in that model. Great country chicken pickin' tone, but that's not my cup o' tea. I thought the 50's model with the Alnico 3's had a warmer & richer tone, but still very much a Tele. Didn't go up there looking for a used instrument, but I started looking the guitar over more closely and found it was really in great shape. Couldn't see paying $100 more for a new one, so I bought it! Got it out in the car right now. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Now I REALLY need to sell that Xaviere XV820....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Pics!

Congrats, DVM! GAS can strike rather unexpectedly, eh?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! That's a great price. Thanks for telling what the difference was between the two. I was curious myself but we don't have any stores around here to try anything.

Now where are the pictures?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Now where are the pictures?
    It looks just like this:

I kill me....

Seriously, I like the looks of the one I bought much better than the one I'd played in GC a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure how long it had been on display there under the bright lights, but it was distinctly yellowed and I didn't find it very attractive. This one is much whiter....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Still in the car eh. Hmm...must be sneakin it in later when it gets dark... Ha just jokin, it looks great I love the color combo with the maple neck. Sweet

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele

Sounds like a great guitar. I'm surprised you liked it more than the custom with the double binding on the antique burst body. Tone is where it's at, feel and playability.

I will have to try out one of those pinecasters. They don't have any near me but they have a bunch of Squiers, just not CV's at this time. I played a 60's strat that I really liked and having a 50's didn't detract from its great sound.

That Xavier tele looks cool but I can't appreciate those tasteless looking headstocks. Why are these companies putting on these knife blade looking headstocks on all these nice guitars? Rondo is doing the same thing to the strats and teles.

Peavey did an absolutely great job of designing a great looking alternative headstock for the Peavey Generation EX teles. Why are these other mfg's using such tasteless looking headstocks that detract so much from the looks of otherwise great looking guitars?

Glad you are happy with the white pinecaster. The brass barrel bridge pieces stand right out. A lot of people prefer the three piece ones over the six piece ones.

Congratulations.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, DVM. I have been more drawn to that beautiful looking custom, but the way you describe the sound of the 50's suits the kind of tone that I am looking for as well. Of course, there is no way that I should even be talking about or thinking about another guitar - it is absolutely ridiculous if I think about it (which is undoubtedly why I so resist doing so!)
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

@DVM

The owner of my favorite local music store also decided on the CV 50's over the CV Custom as well. He puts some 10's on it and absolutely loves it and has been recording with lately. I heard a few tracks and I must admit it sounds damn good to say the least.

If I was buying a another CV I would get 50's Strat then the CV 50's Tele then the Tele custom since I already have the CV 's ThinLine. I just happen to prefer the CV's maple necks more than the CV's rosewood necks just personal preference.

I am sure you have keeper Congrats
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

A month ago I dropped into a Ma and Pa while visiting my daughter in Maine.
    They had two of the Pine casters. They were both excellent, but at 350 just too expensive. I already own the CV 50 Tele Custom. I really like that guitar. I am also a big fan of the maple boards but the rosewood board sure feels nice. As far as the tone goes, I have A3s in my 50s Strat but I really like the A5s in the Custom, and probably the nicest looking tele I have seen yet. It had crossed my mine to buy the Pinecaster and swap necks. Maybe still a plan down the road!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    I'm surprised you liked it more than the custom with the double binding on the antique burst body. Tone is where it's at, feel and playability.
    Believe me, I wanted to like the Custom better! I certainly preferred its looks--with the binding, 3TSB finish, pale mint-colored pickguard and rosewood neck, it's a beautiful guitar. Appearance-wise, I think it has it all over the pinecaster. But I wasn't buying it to hang on the wall! Playability was very comparable between the two, but the tone of that 50s model just spoke to me....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    It looks just like this:

I kill me....

Seriously, I like the looks of the one I bought much better than the one I'd played in GC a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure how long it had been on display there under the bright lights, but it was distinctly yellowed and I didn't find it very attractive. This one is much whiter....
    Nice axe DVM! Now I wanna HEAR it!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

May the Twang be with you

Congratz!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, DVM! Pro'lly the only tele you'll ever need. What a bargain!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I want one too. I played one with bcdon in Vancouver, and it was terrific. Sounds good with gain too. Must be some great pickups in this thing.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Must be some great pickups in this thing.
    Apparently they are made for Squier by Tonerider, in the same factory in China where the CV's are produced. They appear to be a little less hot version of the Tonerider TRT2 Hot Classics Alnico III set. Pickup resistances are about 8.6K (B) and 6.9K (N) for the set in my CV 50's (almost identical to those in Tone2theBone's CV), while the TRT2's are listed at 9.1K/7.2K. The description listed by Tonerider for the TRT2 set nails the CV 50's pickups as well:

"Hot Classics have a stronger midrange, thicker bass response and a raunchy upper register. The Alnico III magnets offer great note separation, even for chord work using boost and overdrive pedals."

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Best guitar for the money and best Telecaster! It smokes!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Congrats!

That white-blond looks great.

Looking forward to actual pics.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a Fender CS 4-way pickup switch HERE on eBay for $16.45 delivered and installed it last night. This is wired to give the bridge & neck pickups in series in the 4th switch position, for a fuller, fatter sound than the B & N in parallel, which is the middle position of the 3-way switch in modern Teles. I've done this before on a Tele using a push-pull pot, but this is a better way to do it, I think. The switch comes with installation instructions and a detailed wiring diagram, so it's very straightforward. Nice additional tone for your Tele--thicker and meatier, but still definitely "all Tele" in its basic character. And because the two pickups in the CV are wired with opposite polarity and winding direction (RP/RW), the series combo, like the parallel one, is hum-cancelling.

One additional thing that is required for this mod to work properly is to clip the jumper between the pickup's ground wire and the metal pickup cover, and then run a separate ground wire for the cover. This is because the series switching would leave the pickup cover ungrounded and can lead to noise/hum.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

@DVH Do you think it would be a good mood for my CV Tele Thinline?
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast