Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
An offer you can't deny?

Thread: An offer you can't deny?

Post Thanks / Like

Default An offer you can't deny?

Everybody of us has a dream instrument, something that seems too far away to reach sometimes. Attention, a dream instruement can have this great ideal value, doesn't mean that it has to be the best guitar or amph in the world.

That offer would be, exchange all of your guitars against this one instrument, assumed that you have some regular nice instruments in your collection, lets say PRS, Fender, Gibson, Suhr etc.

I was made this offer last year by one of the serious and good dealers in the north of Germany. He had a 1966 Fender Stratocaster, sunburst, all original, some minor dings. I played that guitar and it was great, felt awesome, but I have to admit it wasn't the best guitar I have ever played, but the Mojo was unbeatable - think Jimi...

He asked about my collection and he said here's the deal I can offer you, bring me all these guitars (in sum 5 guitars) pay cash 2000 instead of 9800 Euros and you can walk out the shop with the 66.

I had spent some sleepless nights over that decision, but finally decided to stay with the variety. I mean, a real 66, hell, what a great guitar, but this would have meant no Goldie, no backup, at least for a long time...

How about you? Would you do the deal? Would that be an offer you can't deny?

That's the baby:
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have done the same as you did.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't have much to trade in the way of street value, but I think I would keep what I have. I know it works, and I'm not much for guitar mojo anyway. I suppose that means this question doesn't really apply to me, but I figure all guitars that you still have are there for a reason. It's a big deal to just turn them all in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy what I have or I wouldn't have it!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
    pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!!!"
    -Stuart Wilde-

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend
    to view every problem as a nail."
    -Maslow-

"Religion is sitting in a church thinking about fishing.
    Spirituality is fishing and thinking about God."
    -Unknown-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you did the best thing.
    I'm sure it was tempting, but no matter how good the dealer is, he's gotta make a profit, and it will always be at your expense. Some dealers are more honest than others. The others are what we call "horse traders" in the South.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

If someone offered me a really great '59 Flametop Les Paul Standard for all my guitars, I'd first have it inspected to make sure it wasn't a fake, then, I'd call the psych ward to report him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrumBob
    ...then, I'd call the psych ward to report him.
    Before or after the trade?

Funny, but I was thinking '59 Les Paul when reading the OP.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am supporting your choice. The variety is more important than the authentic vintageness. (is that a word?).
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I am supporting your choice. The variety is more important than the authentic vintageness. (is that a word?).
    Of course not -- everybody knows it's "vintagocity."
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I would have kept all my gear as well. I'm not into its old so its cool type of a thing. Unless someone gave/sold me something they cherished but to go out and buy an old axe just because its old is not my thing at all.

Hell for 9800 Euros = 12,445.02 U.S. dollars

I could buy all new both LP's I want & Es-339, T3 & one of each American Deluxe Strat & tele & USA production Charvel with money left over.

Now that would be a collection. LOL!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

If it was a Fiesta Red '64 I would have done it.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

1: I'm lucky in that my dream guitar was a white Schecter Tempest, which I managed to find. Not that expensive either, and I didn't have to sell anything for it. (Then again, it's my first pro-level guitar)

2: I'm one of those people who doesn't care how old a guitar is. Sure it adds to the rarity of it, but if you've got a '66 Strat in good condition that costs that much and is pretty much irreplaceable, you're going to be scared of dropping/scratching it, wearing the electronics out, etc. and you'll end up not using it. Either that or you'll wear it out to the point where it'll need that many new parts it won't be a '66 Strat anymore.

3: For ~€10k I could have 5 custom made Dæmoness guitars (or a similar amount from another maker). I could have someone make a guitar that looks, sounds and plays like a '66 Strat, or better yet incorporates any changes to the design I wanted.

So...no. I wouldn't. Sell all of my cheap/beater guitars for a Dæmoness? Possibly. Sell a load of Gibsons/Fenders/ESPs/Schecters etc. for one? No.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the same thing with a Muscle car. My dream car was a 69 Camaro Z/28 with low miles and all original. A frriend of mine found one and I bought it. It took just about all of my disposable income at the time and another 69 Z/28 in trade. What I found was that it was something you put in a trophy case.
    You can't drive it (play it) for fear you hurt it, or put miles on it.
    No, vintage Cars/guitars are for those guys with unlimited funds. We can all have a collection within our budget. To give up everything for one guitar is silly. What you will find is that the "vintage" item does not play well, or usually look good. They are just that, Relics. I have a 1968 original SG and it is very nice but almost crude in it's woodwork and electronics. I love it but I have many guitars that play an look 100 times better, but it is an orginal 1968 SG.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

For that kind of money I will keep Carvin very busy.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    He had a 1966 Fender Stratocaster, sunburst, all original, some minor dings. I played that guitar and it was great, felt awesome, but I have to admit it wasn't the best guitar I have ever played, but the Mojo was unbeatable - think Jimi...
    I think this comment sums it up. Mojo is great and all, but even you had to say it wasn't the best you'd ever played. The cost is very high and then you'd be left with one guitar that you'd be very paranoid about. If money was no object that might be one thing.

Of course, I also have no burning desire for a '66 Strat, so it's very easy for me to be dispassionate.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn