Thread: Staying with the original

Post Thanks / Like

Default Staying with the original

I am one of those who knows that there are good copies of famous guitars and also good alternative luthiers, like Suhr, etc.

Anyways, I also know there is great potential and knowledge of how to make a great guitars at the original makers. I have just discovered Fender's new Relic Total Tone line. Think this is one of the most awesome Strat sounds I have heard in a long time. Meaty, transparent, warm. Of course the 57 CS Twin sounds ridicolously great, but this is also a good example for the fact that the original makers can easily hold up with the boutique amp builders. Fender's pricing compared to big G is also exceptionally great.

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

My position is somewhat Zen-like , "no original, no not-original". That is, I'll just go out and find the best sounding and playing guitar for my needs at the moment - regardless of what it says on the headstock.

Sometimes the original brand gets it right, other times not. For example, I find Nash guitars much better guitars than their Fender counterparts (except maybe for a few Fender Custom Shop models). And I think Victoria makes a much better 5F1 Champ than, for example, the Fender 57 Champ Reissue. Some things also were clearly badly designed originally and need to change today - for example, the Telecaster output jack cup system - the first thing I do on a new Telecaster is to replace that with an Electrosocket from Stewart-MacDonald - ordered a bunch of them a while back cause they're fairly cheap and I like Teles .

I find that most of the time (but not always) there's a better deal to be had with boutique clones than going with the original brand. The Custom Shop stuff is pretty nice though, from both Fender and Gibson.
    Last edited by red; May 14th, 2010 at 05:11 AM.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

My tech has one of the team built custom shop relic strats. It is aged as the one in the vid and his is vintage white with mint gaurd and the same aged maple board. The pickups are hand wound by Abby as well. The sound is pure Fender and the feel is like he said, "like and old pair of jeans".
    By Team built, this differentiates it from the Custom Shop hand built by one builder guitars. They are a small fortune. I think his was under 3000 Can.
    Of course he is a Custom Shop dealer so he paid wholesale.
    Oh and you think it sounded good throught the Twin. You should hear it through a 100 watt Marshall!
    Any idea on the street price of this new run?.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.