Thread: Kiwi shoe polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kiwi shoe polish?

Has anybody used this to darken a maple neck/fretboard? I've got a BSB Affinity Squier. I love the guitar, but that neck is pretty pale, as someone said, like my grandma's legs in the winter.

Curious if it works and/or it would have some horrible irreversible effect.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Methinks the wax content wouldn't be a good thing for unfinished wood. A lemon oil treatment, if you haven't already done that, may darken it a bit. Perhaps there are stains that would be safe. If it was my guitar, I'd just accept it as it is.

Edit: Just found this

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...st=3&xsr=13580

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of it being done. If I remember correctly there was some discussion about this on the Squier 51 site.
    Personally I would not suggest it if you wanted to either stain or clear it later on. IMHO or course.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really not permanent in a good way...

Because of the wax content it has a tendency to wear off (on your hands) over time. You'd be better off tinting some MinWax wiping poly and applying that.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can stand the smell, carefully applying a stew of used ciggies will give the fretboard a decent looking tint. A friend did this with success decades ago.
    But the shoe polish has been used often for this, and googling will find info on it's pro/con usage, or check out www.reranch.com for some possibilities.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tried it on a headstock on a rosewood board Strat. It did work. I have never tried it on a neck though.
    A lot of guys will put their guitar out in the Sun, not a lot of heat just the sun with the body covered and just the neck exposed. This will darken those ghost white necks considerably. I personally think there should be a law against those white necks. How much does it take to put a drop of stain in the poly.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.