Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which guitars are made in Japan and Korea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Last night I traded for a PRS SE that is made in Korea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    Last night I traded for a PRS SE that is made in Korea.
    Those are made by World Music in Korea and every one I've handled has been very nice indeed.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

You can add Gretsch to the list...they are MIJ & MIK. I recently bought one not knowing it was MIJ. Always thought it was made in USA guitar. But a really fine guitar none the less. Being a newbie here...can someone tell me what GAS is??? I see it used alot in the forum.
    Last edited by riverrick; June 4th, 2010 at 12:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't for get Samick (Greg Bennett) are made in Korea, I think the same factory makes the Michael Kelly guitar as well as some of the import Deans (my EVO Exotic Burl and the Special Select I had before that). Dean also has some made in China (my EVO 1000) which are inferior in quality (both build and the wood itself).
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrick
    You can add Gretsch to the list...they are MIJ & MIK. I recently bought one not knowing it was MIJ. Always thought it was made in USA guitar. But a really fine guitar none the less. Being a newbie here...can someone tell me what GAS is???
    GAS : A common affliction that affects musicians (as this site goes, anyway), not all, but alot of them... an acronym that stands for Gear Aquisition Syndrome! "Gotta get that new amph!"

Being a relative newb here, myself, can anyone explain why alot of you guys spell amp with an "h" at the end?

Thanks.
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    Rockman Soloist

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the definition DeanEVO. Knew it was something like that....and I definitly suffer from the affliction....HELP ME!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the definition DeanEVO. Knew it was something like that....and I definitly suffer from the affliction....HELP ME!!!
    Sorry, I can't help you either (since I am also afflicted with it! ). The only cure is to give the cash, credit/debit cards and the checkbook to someone else!
    Scott

Guitars:
    Amps:
    Pedals:
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    Rockman Soloist

Post Thanks / Like

You can add Gretsch to the list...they are MIJ & MIK. I recently bought one not knowing it was MIJ. Always thought it was made in USA guitar. But a really fine guitar none the less...
    The modern high end Japanese Gretschs are on the whole better than the US made vintage ones and while quite expensive, much better value. I'm not convinced "mojo" is worth that much.

GAS never sleeps
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

You can add Gretsch to the list...they are MIJ & MIK. I recently bought one not knowing it was MIJ. Always thought it was made in USA guitar. But a really fine guitar none the less. Being a newbie here...can someone tell me what GAS is??? I see it used alot in the forum.
    You can also add MII (Indonesia) to Gretsch as well. Saw these at a local music store recently. Not really for playing but nice to look at anyway.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/americana/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeanEVO_Dude
    Being a relative newb here, myself, can anyone explain why alot of you guys spell amp with an "h" at the end?

Thanks.
    I wondered this forever

I've surmised that: It's an inside joke amongst long-time fretters having to do with a Harmony Central review of an amp, where the reviewer indicated among other things, that he got "screaming solos on the amph".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    I wondered this forever

I've surmised that: It's an inside joke amongst long-time fretters having to do with a Harmony Central review of an amp, where the reviewer indicated among other things, that he got "screaming solos on the amph".
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's here:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=403
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Reverends are made in Korea.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    Reverends are made in Korea.
    Current ones, older were USA.

The setneck models of the DeArmond line were all MIK. Bolt-necks were MII.

Fernandes has had some MIJ, plus MIK and MIC. To show how far the MIC guitars have come, I have a Ravelle made in China, after the first year or so of production, Ravelles were made in Korea, but then Fernandes actually shifted production back to China. I haven't played one of the MIK ones, but have seen plenty of people who feel the MIC ones are actually better than the MIK ones.

Most Gretsches can be divided into upper end MIJ and Electromatic MIK. Older pre-Fender Electromatic/Synchromatic Gretsches were also MIK. As pointed out the cheap "cowboy" graphic acoustic guitars are MII. There are some current or almost current Gretsch Electromatics that are MIC, as an exception to the general rule of them being MIK-- my Special Jet (apparently ceased prodution in the last year or so) is MIC rather than MIK.

Looks like most Epiphones are being made in China now, though they mainly used to be MIK. The Elitist line was MIJ.

I have a nice MIK Schecter, but as pointed out they build in other countries too.

G&L Tribute series are MIK I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson - MII (made in India).
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

CARVIN is one of the few electrics still made in US, I do like their acoustics even though they are partially made in Korea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    CARVIN is one of the few electrics still made in US, I do like their acoustics even though they are partially made in Korea.
    kinda doubt my 66 Fender is not made in the US but will find out at a antique roadshow coming close in August.
    topic maybe should be what guitars are made in the states?you could probably count on one hand Ha!
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    kinda doubt my 66 Fender is not made in the US but will find out at a antique roadshow coming close in August.
    Your '66 Coronado is most certainly made in the USA. One of the slew of new models that CBS added to the Fender line following its purchase of the company from Leo in early '65.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12