Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Bass rescue - how to make that fretboard shine again?

Thread: Bass rescue - how to make that fretboard shine again?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitar rescue - how to make that fretboard shine again?

Unexpected NGD - BC Rich Warlock NJ series for $200 Not a bad deal, but the bass needs some minor work.

I'm cleaning the bass up and the fretboard is pretty dirty. I've been working on it with dry paper towels following up with some lemon oil. Most of the thick crap is off - but the fretboard is pretty dull.

This is an early 2000's model as far as I can tell so it might just be that way but if possible I'd like to make it nice and clean/shiny again.

How can I polish up the fretboard?
    Last edited by progrmr; May 18th, 2010 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

After you have all of the crud off like you said, you can use a 1500 grit sandpaper to buff it up and then switch to 2000. This is very tedious, time consuming work and the sanding has to be done all the way up to each of the frets so there is no variation in finish when you have completed the task.

You won't likely need anything after you finish this lengthy chore, but you could use a dab of lemon oil to rub in if you like.
    Turner Model 1 C-LB, Seagull S6+, Ibanez 12 string, Dean Bavarian Vendetta
    VOX AC50 CP2, Roland RE-20, Boss CE5
    Kurzweil SP88X, Yamaha MM8, Roland R-5
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR
    Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM57, SM7, Sennheiser 402's

Post Thanks / Like

After sanding or just for cleaning ,I use gerlitz guitar honey. I dont endorse many products but this is good stuff and pretty reasonably priced

http://www.gerlitzusa.com/
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I made up this tool for things like this. Helps get right up to the fret. Always sand with the grain though don't take the easy way out and go across, you will leave visible scratches.
    The sand paper is the type that has adhesive on the backside. Most body shop supply houses carry this. Just cut to size, peal off the back and stick it on. When the paper gets clogged pull it off and stick another piece on. Pretty handy. It would be best to cover the frets, you might end up hitting them and all it takes is one swipe and you will have sand scratches in the fret.

Post Thanks / Like

Good posts here

One more thing to note this cleaning is not for maple fretboards!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the tips - I'll get that sand paper when I hit the store for some copper tape to shield the pickup and control cavities. Oh and it is a rosewood fretboard.

Once of the corners on the bottom was pretty severely chipped, can't do much about that. One of the previous owners also didn't realize that they make different strings for floyd rose temelos - removed the string lock inserts on the E/A strings so they could fit the brass end in the saddle! They figured out that they could cut off the brass end for the last 4 strings. New string lock inserts en route from stewmac. Tremelo was a mess too - gunk, dust and corrosion all over it. Took it off and sprayed with warm water for round 1 - going to spend some more time on it today but it already looks better.

So it's all minor stuff - I'm sure it'll be a great player once I finish it and now that it has a proper home, it will be taken care of as it should be lol!