Thread: STONE guitar soundclip up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default STONE guitar soundclip up!

So here's the soundclip I promised to make with my stone guitar...

Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Dee - c'mon, man, get it straight; it's a 'rock' guitar...
    (maybe your title was just a translation issue...)

Very interesting to hear that and to consider the resonance issues in comparison to wood, and how that affects the sound of an electric guitar. If it came from your stove, I imagine that it's soapstone; I suppose that even stone has some resonance, though, maybe more so with a soft dense stone like that?.

BTW, you did a darn good job with that build - it sounds great! And talk about unique!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that was just plain awesome... a hand built rock guitar!

It's interesting to hear how bright it sounded. Great job, Dee!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Soapstone, yes...I find that the denser and heavier the body, the tighter the low end. Even the ad vox which is quite lacking in tightness of sound feels a lot tighter with this.

I don't really much believe in body resonance having a big effect on electric guitar sound at all, its more bout the solidity. too lax and soft wood or plywood etc. are bad, but most any solid material does quite well in bodies. Make a body out of car suspension parts or other iron pieces and even that works ok.

BUT Yeh, soapstone does make for a good heavy rock guitar...tight!
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

btw the settings used are exaactly the same on my previous ad30vt video, which I played with an extrmely lightweight guitar...so you can compare them directly.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know now that I've played it a little more, I'm quite tempted to build a v.2 of the guitar, but this time use a proper neck instead of home-made, and also make the neck smaller. Hm. I wish I wasn't broke because I just spotted a Steinberg-style tiny-bodied headless guitar on sale for a hundred, it would have made for an excellent candidate for a body swap - could have just made a new body copying the original...
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Ahem . . .rock on, brother!
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome build and interesting sound Dee!!

Post Thanks / Like

That was a Stoned Gas!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    So here's the soundclip I promised to make with my stone guitar...
    Interesting. I did compare the two clips and this guitar definitely seems darker and a little tighter with a low thud. Overall less thrashy but also much darker.

Thanks for the clip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Deeaa, that is pretty darned cool! I did not know what I expected, but I think it sounds good! As long as the thing is comfortable, I would think there would be a primitive primal satisfaction coming from rocking out on something you carved out of a hunk of rock. Nice! I think you should to a v.2 that is easier to play.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Now here's a song you need to learn to play on that guitar.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heheh...yeah, I was thinking maybe some stoner rock would be appropriate. While stoned, of course, and rock very hard :-) and maybe some Rolling Stones covers too. And hardrock of course.
    Dee