Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
First gig with new band

Thread: First gig with new band

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First gig with new band

We played a short little gig last night with our new cover band. It was fun! It's a rock band, and it's fun to get back into this kind of music for me. I've played blues so many years (which I will always love of course) and I find using more gain and crunch tones for that "sustain for days" kind of sound in a live band is cool! It's like being 17 again... I was all into the NWOBHM back then.

Last night we played tunes by Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin, Styx, INXS, Colin James, Thin Lizzy, etc.

The best thing of it all was that our 16 year old daughter showed up with her boyfriend, and they both came up afterwards and said "that was AWESOME". They are now contemplating getting a band started and I offered my "coaching services" to help them learn a few tunes.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Ain't nothing wrong with the blues, but sometimes you just gotta let that guitar do the ol' rock n' roll KERRRRRRRANG!

Congrats on the new band, Robert!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Bosstastic! Congrats. Especially cool to help out the kids too. Am floating the idea of playing bass in Crash Pad to my daughter.

Dunno if her mom would let her though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    ....and I find using more gain and crunch tones for that "sustain for days" kind of sound in a live band is cool!
    Hmmm, you're definitely gonna need a Mega Muff for this stuff!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you had a blast!
    Speaking of "sounds", you do know you'll have to record a few club performance videos when you get a chance, right?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club Rob! NWOBH was our secret power weapon when we were young, we only started forgetting about how good it felt to shred a solo and to rock out loud! Congratz! Enjoy your trip.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Way to rock Robert! That is great news and I am glad you are having fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! No visits from the cops?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

No cops, no. We played at a school, actually. It was fun, and my Line 6 Spider Valve MkII sounded very good for this. I used my Hagstrom Swede the whole time.

This was our first gig ever with this new group. Clips and videos will have to wait until we get practiced up better!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

It's cool that you are getting to play more...and now you can have all the personnel drama too.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, Robert! Glad to hear your first gig went over well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck in your new endeavour. Hopefully the personnel dramas leave you be for a good long while.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Robert!

Way to go man! As Dee Snider says... "YOU CAN'T STOP ROCK & ROLL"

I've love to hear some clips if someone could tape some at your next gig. I've never heard Robert "rock out"

Be sure to do a Rush song and salute your local countrymen. I suggest "Working Man" - it ALWAYS went over big when I played it live.

Keep on rockin'
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Robert and gang!!! Like Kat says "KERRRRRRRANG!"