Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guilty Pleasures!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red face Guilty Pleasures!!

OK so there's no doubt that we've all been influenced by some of the coolest guitarist to have ever lived (Jimi, SRV et al). But who out there is honest enough to admit their not so cool influences?? (e.g. the CC Deville's of this world).

I'll start with my two guitly pleasures!!

1) Richie Sambora (I even bought his signature strat in the early nineties)
    2) John Mayer (I love this guys playing even though many blues pureists insist he's not fit to be on the same stage as Clapton, BB, Buddy Guy etc)
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Great post, Lev. I have three that fit that bill:

1.) Davey Johnstone (Elton John Band) - I was an immediate object for jest back in the mid-80's, when I tried to explain to my friends how cool Davey's stuff was - Funeral For A Friend, Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting, The Bit** Is Back, etc. Sadly, at that time, with MTV broadcasting the leaping, prancing folly of Elton's "I'm Still Standing" video, it just didn't happen.

2.) Jeff LaBar & Tom Kiefer (Cinderella) - If ever a hair metal band was blessed with the gift of the sweet, hard rock guitar hook, it was Cinderella. These two guys churned out some of the most memorable riffs & songs of the entire glam / metal genre, and not surprisingly, are still rocking hard in present day. Always great tone, too. Some things just never go out of style.

3.) Willie Nelson - Normally known for his troubles with the IRS, and penchant for hookah, Willie is oft overlooked for his incredible guitar playing. However, few modern players can compete with his incredible off-rhythm / tempo picking style, which forms the perfect conuterpoint to his guitarist's (Jody Payne) rhythm lines. Willie performed up here in Fargo two summers ago, and being lucky enough to watch the entire show from the front row, I came away with a whole new appreciation for his skill on the guitar. Indeed, less is more.
    Last edited by Nelskie; October 7th, 2006 at 08:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's:

Tim Kelly from Slaughter. A tragic ending to a guy in his prime who put so much into everything he did, made people feel good and could tear up a guitar like anybody...and with such a passion. My wife turned me on to Slaughter and they have a lot of really good material. Tim had a really good band to work with.

John Mayer. I find him very credible. I know others dis him but his music has a sincerity that resonates with me. He's really honest with his songs. Plus, he gets great guitar sounds and doesn't overplay. John's latest album Continuum is really good too. Very heartfelt.

My wife is also a Cinderella junkie and I admit to covering their material with my bar bands.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen Malkmus (ex-Pavement) used to be my major influence when I started. I still think hes a great guitarrist. Saw him live some years ago, and it was incredible.. I never saw anybody playing guitar like that before.

Ira Kaplan from Yo La Tengo too. But it`s been years I dont listen to them though...

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my surprises were:

Roy Clark. Yup, from the old Hee Haw TV show. Got to see him play for real and never forgot it.

Danny Gatton. Probably nothin new to you knowledgable guitarists here, but was turned onto him years ago when the style he played wasn't really the popular thing, but i liked it. Only since I started tryin to play was I able to realize just how incredible he really was.

Frank Zappa. We all liked him back in the day for his humor and lyrics, until I saw him in concert and man, he was excellent. Many style changes over the years and just seemed to get better with age.

Hog

Post Thanks / Like

I see a lot of really cool players mentioned up the list actually. Roy Clark was AWESOME, I'd watch Hee Haw not only for the chicks in the hay but to see him JAM! Jerry Reid was a killer player too in that genre.

I like Henry Garza's sound and style with Los Lonely Boys so I'd say he was my "CC Deville" loco style. *viva la raza*

I just remembered Vito Bratta from White Lion. Good amp tone and different player.
    Last edited by tone2thebone; October 9th, 2006 at 10:21 AM.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Man I just looked at my collection and I am guilty....still stuck in the 80's and I miss my hair..lol

Dave Murray: Iron Maiden how can you not just love Number of The Beast and I guess Adrian Smith that was a tag team match at its best.

George Lynch: What a tone and what a player lick after lick you can hum his licks in your head can't decide Under Lock and Key or Tooth and Nail both just bolt out of the doors

Steve Stevens: This guy is a damm tone monster and a lot better than he is with Billy Idol probably not the most technically brilliant but this guy could kill with a kazoo and a delay pedal...might cover one of his
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

For me: The Edge and Jack White.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed "The Monkeys" watched the show alot growing up... umm well ok..I admit it..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, the Edge, Danny Gatton, Zappa - way too cool to be Guilty Pleasures! I think I'm guilty on so many levels - I just found my Def Leppard TAB book from the eighties.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Good topic. Here are the guys on my list.

Andy Summers : I don't know if he would be classified as un-cool or not. But he is not usually on most guitar player's list of greats. The guitar parts he came up with in the Police are some of the most interesting things I've seen. I loved his love of interesting guitar tones and unusuall chord voicings. I don't think that Sting's music has the same impact without Andy Summer's guitar parts to go with them.

Pat Metheny : For some reason most guitar players hate Pat Metheny. I'm not sure why that is. But he is one of those guys that really impresses me. He doesn't play guitar like a guitar player. He phrases more like a horn player or something. I like his writing and his guitar playing imensely. The only problem is that there are a lot people who copy his sound now but I still tell when it's him playing or some copy cat.

Glenn Campbell : Yeah, I know that he's a little too "Branson Missouri" ... but man this guy can really play. My Dad was a big Country Music fan when I was growing up, so we always watched HeeHaw and the Glenn Campbell show every week. One night I remember seeing Glenn Campbell play "Flight of the Bumble Bee" on a guitar. He ripped that song apart. I was amazed that this guy could play like that. Then I found out that he had been a studio guitar player for years in L.A. before hitting it big as a singer. He played guitar on a bunch of the classic hits of the 60's from the Beach Boys and other artists. I've heard that he does a special bit in his show now where he plays through a snippet of all these songs from the 60's that he played on.

Brad Paisley : One of my friends played a track from a Brad Paisley record for me recently. It was an all instrumental tune with lot's of extremely up tempo wild Telecaster soloing.. I couldn't believe how good this guy is. He sounds like Albert Lee or something. To top it off he sings really well too, and he's like 20 something .... life isn't fair! He has that same gene that George Benson has where he is just as good a singer as he is a guitar player.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

jpfeifer,

SIGNED!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    Brad Paisley : One of my friends played a track from a Brad Paisley record for me recently. It was an all instrumental tune with lot's of extremely up tempo wild Telecaster soloing.. I couldn't believe how good this guy is. He sounds like Albert Lee or something. To top it off he sings really well too, and he's like 20 something .... life isn't fair! He has that same gene that George Benson has where he is just as good a singer as he is a guitar player.

-- Jim
    OK, OK, I've heard too many people mention Brad Paisley. I've never heard him. I guess I'll have to fix that. Any suggestions?

All the folx that people mention are great (Zappa a *guilty* pleasure. Come on! ) For a real guilty pleasure try

Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers...

That's my Dodge Veg-a-matic there in the parking lot....

Post Thanks / Like

Brad Paisley? Woa! That is sum dad blame guiltiness fur shur.

He really is good though. If you can find his Austin City Limits performance you'll be very surprised how he kicks butt through the whole thing. One cheesy spot to watch for but still nicely executed.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Brad Paisley is an exception to the modern country norm - he actually plays!..........and quite well!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Plank Spanker,

I didn't catch what you meant by SIGNED ?

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, I have to agree with you. Pat Metheny is one of the finest jazz guitarists ever. He has a great sense of melody, I especially like when he plays on his midi guitar. Tone heaven...
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Andy Summers : I don't know if he would be classified as un-cool or not . . .
    Andy Summers is cool. Way cool. I love his playing for the same reasons as you've stated, as well as his unique ability to create airy, atmospheric tones as backdrops to a song using layered and textural guitar parts. A good example of this in action is found on the mondo-hit "King of Pain" off their Synchronicity album. Simply beautiful. And then, put that all together with a modified, almost reggae-style groove - pure genius!

The guitar parts he came up with in the Police are some of the most interesting things I've seen . . .
    You see guitar parts? Wow. Now that's a real player for ya'! To think I've been wasting my time listening to them all these years . . . !

Post Thanks / Like

Plank Spanker,

I didn't catch what you meant by SIGNED ?

-- Jim
    It means total agreement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast