Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tele neck pickup adjustment - no springs?

Thread: Tele neck pickup adjustment - no springs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele neck pickup adjustment - no springs?

Was trying to adjust the neck pup height in my Squier CV tele and it seems that upward push on the pup is provided by a piece of foam... that is not doing its job, so the pup wants to sink down into the body. Should there be springs on the screws? Can I find springs to fit - found a mounting kit that seems to use surgical tubing - how does that work?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

You can use surgical tubing since many Strats do but in reverse. I don't see why it wouldn't work in your case.

The foam thing is supposed to give a better vibratory platform for the pickup...plus it's a cheap way to mount pickups. I'm not sure about the vibration thing but I know it's cheap. Supposedly the pickup height is programed at the correct height with the proper thickness of foam. The factory thinks this is the ideal height, but like you others don't.

You can pull some springs out of old ball point pens to make adjusting springs or find a bit of rubber tube. Whatever works for you.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Spud - great idea about the pen springs! I was wondering if there was some particular reason that springs were not good to use, hence the foam...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Springs are fine. If you're handy enough, an alternative solution is to drill a couple of holes in the pickguard and mount the pickup there, Stratocaster-style.

Your call.