Thread: Any Django Reinhardt Fans Here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Django Reinhardt Fans Here?

Django Reinhardt is my all-time favorite guitarist, and none of my friends have ever heard of him. I also never see articles on him in guitar magazines. I find his music amazing, and it's unfortunate he's unknown to even many guitar players. Is anybody else here a Django fan?

Post Thanks / Like

I dig the music.
    One of my favorite local groups, Hot Club of Detroit, is doing a set at the Detroit Jazz Festival this summer marking the 100th birthday of Django.
    These young guys are keeping the music alive

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Django. He has had an enormous influence on many guitar players, over a long time. Gypsy Jazz seems to be a bit "in" in these days, don't you think? Which I think is great!

I am also a big fan of this man - Bireli Lagrene. He is a true master.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like him particularly for reminding me to find notes not in a box, but further on down the string. I think it changes the delivery in really nice ways a lot of times.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps "fan" would be stretching it a bit, but I do enjoy Django's music. I also find it interesting and inspiring that he could only use two fingers on his fretboard hand. He could do more with those two fingers than most guitarists can do with four. I think he was also an inspiration for the guitar player in Black Sabbath to carry on playing guitar even after he lost the tip of a couple of fingers in an industrial accident.

Here's a book about the guitars Django played by the international expert and renowned luthier F. Charle:

http://www.rfcharle.com/HTML/LivreSelmerangl.html

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Django's music. I also find his biography very interesting. Gypsy Jazz is something that I like listening to at some days, sure nothing I can enjoy everyday, but I aknowledge Django as one of the greatest guitarists of all time.
    Last edited by Jimi75; May 18th, 2010 at 01:36 AM.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I like him particularly for reminding me to find notes not in a box, but further on down the string. I think it changes the delivery in really nice ways a lot of times.
    This is something I learned from Django as well. Because of his disfigured hand, it was easier for him to string together runs of notes on one or two strings than jump up and down 5 or 6 strings as a guitarist with four fretting fingers could do more easily. It achieved a more fluid sound which provides for some beautiful phrasing. Nobody phrases melody like Django did.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I like Django. He has had an enormous influence on many guitar players, over a long time. Gypsy Jazz seems to be a bit "in" in these days, don't you think? Which I think is great!

I am also a big fan of this man - Bireli Lagrene. He is a true master.
    Yes, Bireli Lagrene is one of my favorite guitarists out there today. Another amazing guitarist, and probably my personal favorite, is Stochelo Rosenberg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdL_LHKVIMo

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Gypsy Jazz is one of my favorites. Love Django. Stephane Grappelli's violin compliments this style of music too. Love to hear both of them go.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, wonderful, amazing, full-of-life music. I suppose that he's better known among jazzers.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I am also a fan of Django. It was only the past few years that I started listening to him more and trying to understand what he was doing. It's only now that I understand what an affect he had on so many players that came after him. I have a video clip of George Benson playing some of his favorite stuff and he talks about the influence Django's playing had on him. You can also hear a really strong influence of Django in Les Paul's playing (which didn't make sense to me until I hear so many of the same licks from Django).

I really want to learn some of his stuff. There's a lot of great players out there who can play like him. One of the most incredible ones I've seen besides Berelli LeGrane is this guy from Germany named: Jascho Stephan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koX0ZtUOYNM

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718