Thread: Hey All

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey All

I stumbled onto Robert's Dolphin Street site which lead me here, and I think I struck gold. Yep, I'm just a fret buzzer with 6 months of self taught experience under my belt, so I doubt I will be able to offer much advice, but will try and contribute anything I can.
    Me? I played in working bands in the 70's (but then who that is my age didn't?) but played keyboards then. Ahh, the low tech days of haulin around a few tons of Hammond B3s, Leslies and enough PA equipment to wake the dead. My back has never recovered. Had to give all that up though about the same time the long hair came off. But I always loved music, the blues, and guitar, which was always my favorite sound and instrument. So now I am twanging away for myself and lovin it. The wife and cat have a different opinion, but i guess the 100th time they had to listen to an unrecognizable version of Sweet Home Alabama is to blame.
    Thanks in advance for all the help and info here, and sorry in advance for the "guitar for dummies" questions I'm sure to bore you all with.
    Thanks, and be talkin with ya,
    Hog

Post Thanks / Like

Welcom Hog!!!

I've got maybe 3 mos of guitar playin' on ya.

I've got an amph, but I' still get no screamin' solos.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Hog!!!

so, before somebody else asks... where are you from and what guitar are you playing??

Post Thanks / Like

Hey again and thanks for the welcomes!

I'm from Michigan USA, near Detroit, but please don't hold that against me.
    I have an Ibanez S520EX, a Vox 30 watt Valvetronic, one cord, one pick, and just got a guitar stand for my birthday so now the guitar has an "official" place in the household. I will be lookin for a single coil strat type as soon as possible, which is probably what I should have bought in the first place, but the Ibanez was a smokin good deal and I didn't know then what I think I know now. I just hope I get another guitar before the Ibanez needs new strings and I have to figure out that whole Floyd Rose thing!

Thanks for askin!
    Hog

Post Thanks / Like

welcome hog...i think you will like it here....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hogster, big welcome to you! Since you're in Michigan, have you ever checked out Reverend gear? They are located in Warren. They've got some really cool guitars, and they used to make awesome amps and pedals too. I have a Reverend Hellhound, a very nice little amp.

Enjoy the Fret!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

if they are located in warren i would be very wary of them!!

they do make some pretty cool looking guitars.....never played one though...

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert and thanks for the welcome, your sites, and all you have already taught me without knowing it.

Sheesh, I'm only 5 minutes from Warren but never had a clue that was where Reverend was located. Just goes to show how much I have to learn. I have listened to every clip on Dolphin Street and your sounds and tones are all sweet, so I will be looking into them too!

Thanks again,
    Hog

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Hoggy. Enjoy the forum. No heavy lifting goes on around here so no worries. Glad to have another S series owner aboard.

Hey, hand me that piano.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Played in a working band back in the 70's out Michigan way, eh? Let me guess - a lot of Mitch Ryder, Grand Funk, and maybe a little Amboy Dukes? We have all flavors of players here, my friend, so no need to be self-conscious. Welcome aboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Hog!! Those B3's were great sounding but not very mobile. In Santa Barbara back in the 70's we played a club call Blackbeards. I happen to know every one of the steps to thier staircase intimately as we played there many times we actually made a litter type affair out of pipe so we could bolt it together under the B3 and have two handles coming straight off each end of the B3 to carry it around. Again welcome to the Fret!
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you all are good! Yes, Nelskie, you hit the nail on the head and only overlooked the MC5. Good for one cover, like the Dukes, and hugely popular locally. In fact, our one (and only) gig of note was when we opened for Rusty Day (x of Cactus) fronting with the Detroit Wheels (x of Mitch Ryder).
    Mark, we had the same setup for luggin the Hammond around. I remember copying the idea from from some other band we saw. Never came up with any gizmo for the Leslie, which was actually the worst piece of equipment to haul around thanks to its weight and stocky shape, especially up and down stairs. That beautiful wood finish just got demolished.

Thanks all for the kind words,
    Hog

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Hog , sympathize completely with your back , played with a bass player with a double ampeg svt set up , 2 of those 8-10 cabs and a flight of steep stairs put dread on every load in load out ... great bunch around here , hope you post lots ...6S9L
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Hog! Do you still have any gear from the "old" times?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

No, I sold or traded most of it, and my brother "borrowed" what remained years ago. I did find a Yamaha G240 acoustic in my parents basement that they tell me I stored there that is in quite nice condition after sitting for 30 years (must have been the humidity?). Funny thing is, I don't remember how I came to own it-musta been a trade. In fact, that is the guitar the started me off on this quest.
    Now had I kept any of that equipment, or the Lionel train set, or the baseball cards, or my Mad magazine collection, or my coin collection, or the pre '64 Winchester, or the '66 Vette, or the ...
    Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hog welcome I'm new here just getting my feet wet too
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Hogster......
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz