Thread: So, what songs do you enjoy playing...

Post Thanks / Like

Default So, what songs do you enjoy playing...

... as a warm up for practice?

While sitting in front of the TV?

I was goofing around on the gitfiddle yesterday, just playing some scale patterns and noodling.

I noticed what I was playing sounded familiar. Rearranged the fingers a bit... and it was Funk #49! Pulled up YouTube, and was jamming along within 10 minutes. It was a blast to play.

So, are there any songs you've "accidently" fell into learning?

Are there any songs that are just a joy for you to play, no matter how many times you play 'em?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Easy, "Need Your Love So Bad", by Peter Green/Fleetwood Mack. There are so many different lead lines and style you can take, it never gets old.
    Backing track:
    http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/pl...ove_so_bad.htm

I also love the melody of "Some Day My Prince Will Come", and the endless lead or rhythm lines you can come up with. Sweet jazzyness! I forgot where I got the backing track from.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

At some point I was futzing with a pentatonic scale and fell into 'Moby Dick' by Led Zep. I find that it keeps my fingers entertained.

There's a Phish song or two that I like to chip away at as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

You mean this noise is suppose to make a song?

REally, I guess that I enjoy playing Hotel California as much as most any of the songs, I like playing "On A Cloud", Imagine, Yesterday, House of The Rising Sun, or It's My Life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I shoulda' mentioned Steely Dan's "Reeling In The Years", but I'm still working on it. A timeless classic to play or listen to.
    http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/pl..._the_years.htm
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I have this odd habit of learning TV openings/video game themes to shows I really like.

I've accidentally taught myself:

Donkey Kong background/opening music (don't ask!)
    MXC Theme (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge)
    Pink Panther Theme
    Law & Order
    Pressure Cooker (Atari 2600 music)
    Space Battleship Yamato
    The Inspector
    The Rockford Files
    The Munsters

These songs work well to open with when you come back from a break when playing live.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I shoulda' mentioned Steely Dan's "Reeling In The Years", but I'm still working on it. A timeless classic to play or listen to.
    http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/pl..._the_years.htm
    I've been meaning to start chipping away at this one. Maybe the backing track will help. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

There's isn't really any "lead" work in it, but I absolutely LOVE playing "Turning Japanese" as covered by Incubus.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

SRV - Pride & Joy
    It's been my curse for some couple of months now. I pick up the guitar and start to play that song...

Before that it was SRV's version of Mary had a little lamb.

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

"La Grange" and "Nightlife", depending on my mood. One boogies, the other can be played simple and sweet, or use some jazz chords and make it neat.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    "La Grange" and "Nightlife", depending on my mood. One boogies, the other can be played simple and sweet, or use some jazz chords and make it neat.

Two great tunes, OG... I sat it with the person who taught me my first chords at my stepsister's wedding, and played little fills to "Nightlife." Great song! Got some great compliments that night, too.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I start noodling licks,but I always end up playing a song Con Dios,open chord stuff but it really changes things for me.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Beatles songs.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Beatles songs.

I find myself playing them a lot when I'm not thinking of what to play and just playing.

The thing I most often play when I don't know what else to play or am not consciously thinking about it is Albert Ayler's "Our Prayer." It's a beautiful little melodic theme which can be improvised around quite nicely and sets up a lot of cool harmonic elements depending on how you play it. Marc Ribot uses the piece as a short introduction to his versions of Ayler's "Bells" with his groups Spiritual Unity and Shrek.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Butterfields "Lovin' Cup" Love that opening riff. It was also covered by Robbin Ford. He does it way better than me, but it's still fun to play.

Post Thanks / Like

Beatles 'Get Back' - have always loved the riff and solo. Makes an easy warm-up.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Hold On Loosely - 38 Special, Just Got Paid & LaGrange - ZZ Top, China Grove - Doobie Brothers, Gimme Three Steps - Skynyrd, Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas, Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo - Rick Derringer. When I'm fiddling around, I'll usually wind up playing one or all of these...
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    ... as a warm up for practice? Heart of Gold (old standard), Red Haired Boy (bluegrass fiddle tune, great for warming up my right hand) or American Pie (lots of chord changes)

While sitting in front of the TV? Somewhere over the Rainbow or Gravity, maybe a fiddle tune

I was goofing around on the gitfiddle yesterday, just playing some scale patterns and noodling.

I noticed what I was playing sounded familiar. Rearranged the fingers a bit... and it was Funk #49! Pulled up YouTube, and was jamming along within 10 minutes. It was a blast to play.

So, are there any songs you've "accidently" fell into learning? Not really, I am not that good yet.

Are there any songs that are just a joy for you to play, no matter how many times you play 'em? Gravity, Black Magic Woman, Somewhere over the Rainbow (esp. in combination with Wonderful World, If I had a Million Dollars
    Hmm, due to lack of playing time, I have been getting locked into too few tunes. I better add some!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson