Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to learn to sing

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Ok, so what is the guitar low E? Is that the low E as in piano as well? That is the lowest I can go with natural voice now, and I recall some singing teacher saying I am bass. Used to be able to go dropped D pretty easily but no more.

From there on, hm, I don't know really how do I find the correct C's and whatnot on the guitar...probably even less on a piano. LOL.
    Oh, I have no idea either.

My daughter used to do some acting and I saw the procedure done during the audition/rehearsal process.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this thread needs some additional help, let's find examples of the vocals and see what each thinks their voice is.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Found some decent videos here in a playlist - http://www.youtube.com/user/EricArce...20B0E1A509CA38

Have a look. They guy is an R&B singer.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of great answers here. Anything I would have chimed in with has been pointed out by someone else. I've played guitar for 16 years and did not dare to sing a note in front of anyone until about a year ago. As you may guess, it was absolutely terrifying.
    I was in a band with a great singer for 5 years, and when our band broke up we decided to stick together and do our own thing. Now I've taught him to play rhythm acoustic and he taught me a couple things about singing.

A lot of people have said it already, but it's really all about confidence. We are all animals after all. If you're terrified and you get up at open mic, the audience can smell that fear. If the people watching have a doubt in their mind about how good you are, it's because YOU put it there. In my opinion, a good player/singer is just someone who practiced properly and knows how to be a confident salesman in front of a crowd.

Another thing to consider is that if you're struggling to play and sing at the same time, play to a metronome and start by making sure you change chords in the right spot. If theres one thing i've learned since I started singing while playing, it's that once you open your mouth and words come out, no one cares what your hands are doing as long as the chords change when they should.

I'm a hardcore perfectionist about nailing guitar parts, but learning to sing and actually singing lead with a band has taught me so much that I wish i'd have realized years ago.

I think everyone in a band should spend time at least tinkering with every instrument in the band. If we all understand each others role more clearly, then it's way easier to stop waiting your turn and just make good music instead.

if anyone wants to check it out, heres a song i wrote for my wife, one of my first stabs at singing lead for the band:

www.soundcloud.com/the-stones-throw/shots-fired

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You've got it man, that's all very insightful!

About the confidence...suggestion is a powerful tool. Much more powerful than people usually give it credit for. Stuff like confidence can be built by self-suggestion. Simply make yourself think you're confident and you can do it, and it becomes a reality. Just like quitting smoking or something - it's all down to how well you manage to tell your brain it's easy to do actually. Just tell yourself you can and you will.

Smoking actually is a prime example of negative self-suggestion...every cigarette company and quitting-aid company wants you to believe it's nigh impossible to quit, and they've managed to get it be 'common knowledge' with their idiotic claims like 'nicotine is more addictive than heroin' etc...

It's all just shaite, it's very easy to quit smoking if you really want to, but the hard part is to deconstruct the years and years of suggestion built by people telling you it's hard to stop, it's addictive, etc...that's the hard part. And it's so easy to give in to those voices when you crave another...

People will believe anything when it's suggested especially over a long time, and it becomes a reality for them despite it might be completely imagination. The whole reason ideas like those forbidden to be talked about on the forum still exist despite they can be easily proven to be nothing but tales, and still people take them for real.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for an update to an old thread. I haven't gotten very far in my singing attempts, but I do sing more in the car now, and I think I'm a little bit better. I still feel like it's difficult to hold one note steady in pitch. For some reason, my voice wavers a bit. I'm very good with hearing the notes in my head - intervals, harmonization, chords and all that stuff - I know it inside out, but that's in my HEAD! My voice isn't always following my brain that well.

I seem to have a low register. I can't sing along to that many tunes, because the vocals are too high.

You experienced singers, keep adding suggestions!

If you want to do note exercises, this seems like a useful video:

Mr Frudua has an entertaining video here:

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123