Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bands you're kinda ashamed of to respect?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Bands you're kinda ashamed of to respect?

I bet everyone has a band or two they like but for some reason it seems when you talk about that with people, they're sort of surprised that 'really? I wouldn't have thought you'd like THAT'.

For me that's Faster Pussycat...

I dunno, like this song right off the bat is just great for bringing together metal style stops and rhythms and such, and proper groovy sleazerock. I just love it!!!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

ABBA - I just watched a documentary on youtube and was very surprised how dedicated they were to the quality of their music. Do I like the music? Mostly no but I sure respect what they've done and the legacy they've left.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah - I feel exactly the same about ABBA.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Oh yeah - I feel exactly the same about ABBA.
    Aren't you required by law to feel that way in Scandinavia?

You actually asked two questions: in the subject you talk about shame but in the post you talk about people being surprised. I've long since given up being "ashamed" about the music I like. My tastes are so broad that I probably like something that will surprise someone. Usually the whole "clergy" and "metal" thing is the big one.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I like a lot of 90's music that's not exactly thought of as cool, like Stone Temple Pilots, Collective Soul, Ash, Oasis, etc.

For Ash, sometimes their lyrics are just head-slappingly dumb and immature, and the rest of the bands are usually seen as overly-commercial arena rock by music snobs. I personally love the middle, sludgy, universally-panned albums by Oasis like Standing on the Shoulder of Giants and Heathen Chemistry -- they're some of my favorite Oasis records.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Huh? Isn't STP considered cool? I suppose in my circles it never dropped from 'cool' status. But then again, pretty much all my friends are die-hard rock fans :-)

Never heard of Ash but now I'm intrigued.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Huh? Isn't STP considered cool? I suppose in my circles it never dropped from 'cool' status. But then again, pretty much all my friends are die-hard rock fans :-)
    Well...I think they were 90s scenesters, riding the wave of huge hooks and the grunge popularity, but since they were kind of glam-y and wildly popular, a lot of people looked down on them as cheapening that 'alternative' scene. That whole idea was kind of stupid, because alternative music really was the mainstream anyway, but whatever...different discussion for a different time.

I personally appreciate good hooks; I think it's what music is all about, and STP is fricking awesome at writing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I've long since given up being "ashamed" about the music I like. My tastes are so broad that I probably like something that will surprise someone.
    Same here. There really aren't many genres of music where there isn't something I enjoy. There's also a lot to be said for the nostalgia factor. There are things that I grew up with which I may now see in a different musical light, but I also see where it colored what my tastes were. I'm not ashamed to like anything.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Styx.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Bee Gees. Once you've understood what great kind of songwriters they are, you'll love 'em. Even the high singing that everyone laughs about is perfectly arranged, in fact they are singing complete chords.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I like Devo and Kraftwerk so sue me.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on the Devo.

Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

_____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you both on Devo.

Many just associate them with their final few recordings done in the early 1980s but Devo were a massive force for the evolution (pun intended since their name is short for de-evolution) of the Ohio punk/post-punk music scene. I don't think one can overestimate the influence Mark Mothersbaugh had on musicians to follow.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I saw a Devo concert in '81 or '82 for their New Traditionalists album. It was just before MTV got a grip on music, so the many videos they displayed behind them for each song was really cool to us. These guys had a great sense of humor. They had conveyor belts mounted into the stage, so suddenly they'd be running in place during a song, which got us rolling!
    Their simple, yet catchy songs are timeless fun.

I was into Kraftwerk and Gary Newman before Devo. I loved the uber slick synth sounds and fun lyrics of Kraftwerk. I don't know why, but I just do.

Gary Newman was somewhat under the radar other than the few hits, but he made some really great albums, like "I, Assassin".
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like Axel F and the Top Gun Anthem.

Sue me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ah, that must be where ZZ Top had their conveyor idea for the Recycler tour. They also used them, first so little you didn't realize it, they just appeared to move strangely and unnaturally on the stage. Way cool.

ZZ Top was so cool...they certainly know how to make small things big in their act. I remember well that gig - they hardly moved the first 3 or 4 songs, and then when they made one of those gestures with hands or rotated guitars in sync, and then used conveyors to 'moonwalk' and then whatnot around the stage, it got the crowd really screaming too. Less was more.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, I saw ZZ Top but they didn't have that here. Makes me wonder how they can play their guitars with their beards covering them. :lol:

I like Gary Newman's Cars. It's fun to play the keyboard parts in the upper registries of my guitar.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound
    Styx.

I still have the "Mr. Roboto" album on vinyl somewhere around here (not the real album titile, I'm just too lazy to find it and / or Google).

Styx had / has some damn fine tunes!

I'll proudly defend my faves. I like 'em, or I wouldn't listen!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast