Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bands and artists you "just don't get"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bands and artists you "just don't get"

What bands or artists out there do many people love that you just never understood or got the fascination with that others do?

For me, the bands I never got were:

KISS
    Pink Floyd
    The Grateful Dead

This is not meant as a dig to those who like these bands. I just never saw how people fell in such love with them. I do like a few songs from each of these artists but not enough to make me say "WOW THESE GUYS FRIGGEN ROCK!".

To be honest KISS just make me sick... Gene Simmons is such an ego maniac and IMHO their music isn't all that good. Having said that, I do respect the fact they have stayed together for so long and have millions of fans. I'm just not one of them.

I do however love Ace Frehley's solo albums (Frehley's Comet, Second Sighting, Trouble Walkin', and the latest Anomaly).
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, that's interesting - those three would also be high on my list... and all this time I thought there must be something wrong with me
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Grateful Dead I've never gotten. Same with Bob Dylan. That will do for starters.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we all solo or group acts that we don't take a like'n too. What is so great about LADY GA GA, PINK,PUSSYCAT DOLLS, or this stuff they call to music Alternative METAL RAP? SAY WHAT?
    It's more about circus acts today than it is talent, at least you can repeat most of the words from songs of the 60s 70s 80s without getting arrested.

Post Thanks / Like

Just about any modern "alternative" stuff like Kings of Leon, Death Cab for Cutie, et al. It's not enough for me to change the station. I usually have to yell "Shut up!" while I'm changing it. Problem is that my wife and a number of my relatives really like that stuff.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the list would be very long, but as for the Grateful Dead:

What did one stoner say to the other stoner after they ran out of dope at a Dead concert?

Wow, this band sucks!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Kiss
    Slash very ordinary guitarist
    Bruce Springstein
    Neil Young. I know a fellow Canadian but. Can't sing, can't play the guitar but every one of his songs is an anthem mega hit.
    As I get more "into" weekend mode, I might come up with some more.
    This is Victoria day long weekend in Canada.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Kiss does not do it for me. I also can't get into the Stones. Never been a big Zeppelin fan either.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gotta agree with not getting Kings of Leon, the Stones (love Keith's riffs, but Mick comes along and ruins the song), Bob "just find the key, please" Dylan could write, but the singing is scary, KISS has no songs that you can just listen to on their own merit, and the Grateful Dead remain a mystery to me.

Luckily, we have plenty of great choices available to us, especially when you avoid 95% of the radio!

EDIT: Add Jack White/White Stripes, Amy Winehouse to the list.
    Last edited by Tig; May 22nd, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get any band that refuses to use guitars prominently.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

My list is miles long, but here are the ones that come to mind.

Readying myself for the coming firestorm...

Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Iron Maiden
    Yngwie Malmsteen

And possibly more understandable to some:

Slipknot
    Captain Beefheart
    Ponytail
    Sun Ra Arkestra

Honestly, I just never quite got any of these groups. That's not to say that I won't eventually, or that they have no redeeming qualities, but they just all seem not to click with me for whatever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Bruce Springstein
    I feel you on this one.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I feel you on this one.
    Bruce was really great up until the Born In The USA album, IMO. Those early albums had some great songs. I'll admit he's has a few decent songs sprinkled in the most recent couple of albums.

Bruce is worth seeing live, however. You'll not likely see a more energetic, nor longer concert!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Depends a bit what you mean with 'get'. I never liked many of the bands mentioned here, but in a way I 'get' what they're all about anyhow and how some people might like them.

I suppose the biggest 'I don't get' is blues and country music, always thought it was like if there are musicians who seriously lack creativity they can find salvation in playing the blues. JAzz sometimes seems the same to me. BUT there are some, like Grateful Dead's two country-rock albums, that are great (Those two are incredibly sweet vocal work and really nice. I don't like any other Grateful Dead stuff.)

I dunno - I was always amazed why people like liked Rolling Stones, IMO they sound horrible and clumsy and can't play or sing proper. I never understood why Beatles was _so_ big, although I have great respect for them for inventing most of modern rock. And Ozzy...do people really like that wailing voice? I suppose there's plenty of examples.

I also wonder if people would really listen to that crap they do on the radio, if they were given a choice and not just have whatever the industry forces them to listen to.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Stevie Ray Vaughn

Yngwie Malmsteen
    Malmsteen, Satriani, and Vai are incredibly talented virtuosos, but their songs are somewhat boring to me.

Studio SRV is OK, but SRV live is a huge step up! One of those "you had to be there" kinda things, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    I don't get any band that refuses to use guitars prominently.
    That's good sig material...well said. Pretty much how I tend to find things. Very few good non-guitar songs out there...can only think of some Depeche Mode songs but I think they also have some guitar. Like 'I Feel You', quite a strong tune. I have to check out the guitar content now!

Phew! There is indeed guitar there :-)
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heh, this Ash band is pretty cool---thanks to Spotify I'm now listening to it :-) what a great concept Spotify indeed is.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Studio SRV is OK, but SRV live is a huge step up! One of those "you had to be there" kinda things, I guess.
    I guess you're right that I did have to be there, but there are SO many SRV fans these days...it just confuses me. I really wish I did get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Springsteen, AC/DC, Ozzy, Motley Crue for starters.
    Certainly my feelings can change. I used to hate the Eagles with a passion and now find I like a fair amount of their stuff. Same with the Stones.

What did one stoner say to the other stoner after they ran out of dope at a Dead concert?

Wow, this band sucks!
    Obviously the author of this joke has never been to a Dead show. It is IMPOSSIBLE to run out of dope at a dead concert.
    As for not getting the Dead, I can fully understand. I didn't get them either until I actually went to a show, and... I guess substances were involved ...and... I thought they were great!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast