Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bands and artists you "just don't get"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

AC/DC
    I just tried to watch a recent televised concert, and was so turned off, well, I couldn't last more then a few minutes.
    I remember liking them back in the Bon Scott days, but I just can't understand the Angus and Malcolm Young hype that still exists. Seriously, it was embarrassing just to see Angus jumping around in school boy getup.
    Could I be wrong, missing out on greatness?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I've never understood the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. All good musicians. Competently-written tunes. Heard many of their songs over the past 15 years. Just don't dig it.

Post Thanks / Like

Grateful Dead (I'm frankly grateful that some of them are dead).
    Bruce Springsteen (voice like a cheese grater).
    Metal (all of it, dude),
    80's Hair bands (The lot of them. They all tried to look and sound the same anyway, right?)
    Current Emo/teen girl magnet boy bands.
    Rap (give it a rest already, and turn down that damned car stereo),
    The Beatles (pop music that is highly overrated considering what else was going on in the 60's),
    Buddy Holly (what a nerd),
    Eric Clapton (yeah, I said it. There are hundreds of REAL DEAL blues musicians who are far more creative and innovative than this cat will ever be).

Oh yes, there are more. I'm middle aged, can you tell?

Now let the bickering begin.
    Last edited by Mike S.; May 31st, 2010 at 11:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    I guess we all solo or group acts that we don't take a like'n too. What is so great about LADY GA GA, PINK,PUSSYCAT DOLLS, or this stuff they call to music Alternative METAL RAP? SAY WHAT?
    It's more about circus acts today than it is talent, at least you can repeat most of the words from songs of the 60s 70s 80s without getting arrested.
    Speaking of "circus acts"... ICP anyone?
    Any of the bands with singers who don't sing, they gutterally scream the lyrics.
    Pink Floyd I could never get into...(guess I didn't do enough of the right drugs).
    Dylan and The Dead are up there too... Great songwriters, though!

Cheers!
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S.
    Bruce Springsteen (voice like a cheese grater).
    Try the "Born to Run" album, it's very, very good.
    Eric Clapton (yeah, I said it. There are hundreds of REAL DEAL blues musicians who are far more creative and innovative than this cat will ever be).
    I've always thought so too.

Post Thanks / Like

The Beatles are a special case IMO. As far as it goes I'm not sure what part of their work I'm supposed to "get". It's all over the place stylistically and just leaves me wondering what all the fuss is about. The usual replies to this mention individual songs as examples of their mastery which kind of misses the point of what I'm saying. I don't get them as a whole while admitting that they wrote some good songs.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by red
    Try the "Born to Run" album, it's very, very good.

I've always thought so too.
    Many thanks for the recommendation Red. I have indeed heard that album, and am still not overly impressed. Guess it isn't my cup of tea.

He's not the worst thing going by any means, however I just can't embrace his work as many seem to.

I would have mentioned that I'm absolutely sick of so called "young country" music (and most of the rest of Country as well), however living as close as I do to the Nashville area, I'm afraid of getting mobbed for insulting the sacred cow(boy).

Ooops, guess the cat is out of the bag on that one too.

I confess to liking the more folk and bluegrass oriented forms from time to time, but I'm primarily a jazz/blues and classic rock kind of guy. I grew up with punk and new wave, and still enjoy it on a primal level. It might sound like absolute crap to the outsider, but we all know how humans tend to wax nostalgic about their youth.
    Last edited by Mike S.; June 1st, 2010 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    The Beatles are a special case IMO. As far as it goes I'm not sure what part of their work I'm supposed to "get". It's all over the place stylistically and just leaves me wondering what all the fuss is about. The usual replies to this mention individual songs as examples of their mastery which kind of misses the point of what I'm saying. I don't get them as a whole while admitting that they wrote some good songs.
    Interesting. This makes me wonder what your tastes are, given this. Not electric blues, not Beatles, not prog or metal. It's not as though that's all there is, but I'm curious what your musical orbit tends to be centered around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Interesting. This makes me wonder what your tastes are, given this. Not electric blues, not Beatles, not prog or metal. It's not as though that's all there is, but I'm curious what your musical orbit tends to be centered around.
    Well here's the contents of my iTunes library boiled down.

A lot of assorted "world" musics (europe, africa, etc, etc).
    A lot of british folk music with a particular emphasis on english folk-rock acts.
    A lot of US traditional music (old time, early blues, etc)
    A lot of alt-country (whatever that is), roots rock?
    Some pop/rock acts I mainly enjoy for the songwriting (who are probably big Beatles fans, oh the irony!).
    Some singer-songwriter (Dylan, etc)
    Some art rock from my youth that I still like (mostly european)
    Every note that Richard Thompson has ever recorded
    There's more if you want to play the genre game but it gets tiring.

Edit: forgot to mention a lot of western swing, the real pioneers of electric guitar.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Well here's the contents of my iTunes library boiled down.

A lot of assorted "world" musics (europe, africa, etc, etc).
    A lot of british folk music with a particular emphasis on english folk-rock acts.
    A lot of US traditional music (old time, early blues, etc)
    A lot of alt-country (whatever that is), roots rock?
    Some pop/rock acts I mainly enjoy for the songwriting (who are probably big Beatles fans, oh the irony!).
    Some singer-songwriter (Dylan, etc)
    Some art rock from my youth that I still like (mostly european)
    Every note that Richard Thompson has ever recorded
    There's more if you want to play the genre game but it gets tiring.

Edit: forgot to mention a lot of western swing, the real pioneers of electric guitar.
    Thanks for that. I too like alt-country quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would have mentioned that I'm absolutely sick of so called "young country" music (and most of the rest of Country as well), however living as close as I do to the Nashville area, I'm afraid of getting mobbed for insulting the sacred cow(boy).

I confess to liking the more folk and bluegrass oriented forms from time to time, but I'm primarily a jazz/blues and classic rock kind of guy. I grew up with punk and new wave, and still enjoy it on a primal level. It might sound like absolute crap to the outsider, but we all know how humans tend to wax nostalgic about their youth.
    Don't worry, you won't get strung up by this mob! I understand the country/young country view. I'd say I like about 1 in 10 country acts, with a leaning toward the outlaws like Willie Nelson. I enjoy Brad Paisley's talent and playing, but not the songs themselves.

I'm also a graduate of the punk-new wave era, which is a guilty pleasure of sorts.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I find that I can't listen to most of the Beatles anymore, especially the early yeah-yeah-yeah albums and the "hits" that have been over played. However, they did produce a few treasures that I'll never tire of. Several songs from Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Abbey Road really are good.

The songs played here all happen to be my favorites, and they play them better then the original recordings.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, man I found this shocking coming from you. I thought you could really appreciate great music , vocals , and playing ability.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the problem with these types of discussions, the minute someone's personal favorite is selected for condemnation, there is the tendency to defend rather than "let it be" (pun intended).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's the problem with these types of discussions, the minute someone's personal favorite is selected for condemnation, there is the tendency to defend rather than "let it be" (pun intended).
    This is one of those "let's agree to disagree" type of threads.
    If it were in another forum, there's be flame wars times eleventy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the group has done a good job of keeping the discussion civil here. Keep it up guys! I have refrained from participation as my reactions were to "defend" bands I like, or "pile on" bands that have been mentioned.

For me, I keep bumping up against this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9j...eature=related

But I think folks have done a good job mostly about keeping it about what they don't get. Good job folks.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; June 2nd, 2010 at 09:31 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

The good news is that when it comes to musical tastes, I know I'm always right! *insert tongue-in-cheek smiley here*
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! Marnold and I must have the same taste. *insert tongue-in-cheek smiley here*
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I have refrained from participation as my reactions were to "defend" bands I like...
    I've been tempted to do the same, then I remembered that in many cases, the fact that few other people "get" some of the artists that I like really only makes me appreciate the artist that much more. I've been called a music snob many many times and I've never seen it as anything other than a compliment.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast