Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Which small Fender amp?

Thread: Which small Fender amp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which small Fender amp?

Which do you think is the better bang for the buck...

Fender Pro Junior
    or
    Fender Blues Junior

A good clean is important. For dirty stuff, I'd stomp on an OCD or Suhr Riot pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, but out of the two I would look at the Blues Junior over the Pro Junior. 12" Speaker, master volume, more EQ control and Fender on board reverb would be worth the extra cash.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

You might also want to check out the Super Champ XD. Similar tube circuitry, also 15 watts, and a bunch of effects, yet much less expensive than Juniors.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Blues Junior Special edition with the Jensen speaker. An excellent amp all around. Great reverb, can be tweaked to death. There are web sites that give hundreds of settings for it. Takes pedals extremely well. I also have the Fulltone OCD, Fulldrive II, fat boost and mini deja vibe, and all sound excellent through it. I have also run it through a 2/12 Avatar cab and it sounded really good. Got my vote. Oh and BTW the best selling amp ever by Fender!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Pro junior, no contest.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I have a Blues Junior Special edition with the Jensen speaker.
    Found this quick Jr. shootout on YouTube, and I'd have to agree I like the Jensen speaker...and the tweed covering.
    But the standard edition is perfectly acceptable too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the tweed Jrs, a surprisingly good and capable amp. I tried a Pro Jr and although it had a nice tone down at low volume it didn't hang in there very long. I didn't think it was an amp you could play out with where I have with the Jr many times
    I sold a Gibson Goldtone GA15 last week, 15 watts and a 10" Celestion. That was a lot more amp in my opinion than the Pro Jr with a very similar format ~

Post Thanks / Like

I've had both, I preferred the PJ for basically overdriven tones and the BJ for cleaner stuff. Either could do the vaguely tweedy od thing.
    The reverb on the BJ was horrible so I'd sooner live without or use a delay pedal in "hard reverb" mode.
    The master on the BJ is handy at practice levels but the way to get the best out of these (imo) is to open up the master to 12 and dial in as much preamp as you need. That takes the brakes off nicely, then use the guitar volume.
    With a PJ you'll get that kind of thing going on anywhere on the right hand side of the volume knob. It gets loud fast.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Well mine isn't a Tweed special edition. I have owned several Fender amps and the reverb is as good as any of them.
    I bet you haven't seen too many like this.

It is exactly the same as the Tweed blues Junior Special edition but in Brown tolex with the wheat front and beige chicken head knobs. I love it.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine too Zman, the verb sounds pretty good.
    I have a Jensen Electric Lightning in mine now and it's a good match ~
    Last edited by otaypanky; May 30th, 2010 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The reverb on the older "green board" Blues Jrs. was pretty much universally reviled, and was completely redesigned for the newer "cream board" version. I have one of those, and it may not be the greatest reverb in the world, but it's far from bad.

I'd vote for the Blues Jr., but that Super Champ XD is said to be a very cool amp and a tremendous value.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your needs, but I find the PJ to be plenty loud for a small venue. I'm always being asked to turn down at jams, and that's about 1/3 of the way up. I put a Ragin Cajun and JJ's in mine, and it's now my Official Secret Weapon.

I ALWAYS get wow comments. Clapton, Beck, and Warren Haynes use them. Pretty good company!
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky
    Mine too Zman, the verb sounds pretty good.
    I have a Jensen Electric Lightning in mine now and it's a good match ~

Here's an old clip of it using a bit more verb than I would typically play with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3IFk90BXwU
    Do you mean you have a Brown one, or you think the reverb is good?
    The reason I am asking is that I have only spoken to one other guy online that had the Brown Edition.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

I got to play both on stage in the pas with my blues trio but the Blues Junior is more versatile, more power, more bass better clean sound at higher volume
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Blues Jr. Great little amp.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Great feedback guys!
    Thanks for all the insight.

Post Thanks / Like

SCXD vote here as well. I will never part with mine. If fact i have a chance to get a Peavey Nashville and my GF said if I was going to sell the SCXD I said no chance is hell honey. But then again she doesn't understand.
    May you be a half an hour in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Do you mean you have a Brown one, or you think the reverb is good?
    The reason I am asking is that I have only spoken to one other guy online that had the Brown Edition.
    I meant the verb was decent ~