Thread: Lost is over

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost is over

So what did you think of the final episode?

Does everything make sense now?

What was the point of the island and them being there?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had to go to work, so I missed the final show. I'll have to catch it later or download it.

While I haven't watched every show of every season, I've followed along enough to know what is going on. My wife came up with a theory about 3 or 4 shows into the first season...
    They are in purgatory, or something close.

I may not check this thread until after I see the finale.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't tell me how it ends, haven't seen it yet.

I said to my wife also during the very first episodes if not the very first that they must've died and are in some sort of limbo...but lately I've been more inclined to think the whole island is more or less an alien vessel of sorts, able to warp time, but I don't see how the fates of the people on it should matter - except maybe the Locke 'thing' needs certain events to take place to fix a space-time continuum problem that is preventing the alien(s) to leave, or something like that. Sort of Nautilus come alien ship stranded with time travel quirks.

Either that or the purgatory thing, but I doubt it'll end in any way I'll find acceptably sensible. It's just gotten too complex. I think I still have 2 or 3 episodes to watch. The last one I watched, the sub sank.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I stopped watching it after the first season. As I *just* commented on a friend's Facebook, I think the show would have made a great mini-series or movie, but dragging it out over 6 years was just a little much, IMHO.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was very bored with the end of the previous season and the last season's been pretty---pfft---but at least now it's picked up the pace some.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

i have never watched it....
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i have never watched it....
    +1. Same here.

Well, maybe not totally true. I watched an episode while traveling for work and went to a season-premiere party once, but I have not watched it other than those two times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I've now seen every episode and if there was only one thing could say about this show it's that they manage to handle the human condition and relationships in such a great way. Sometimes good people are bad and vice versa, but in the end they found out how much they cared for each other and how much of an effect you can have on other people.

*Spoiler Alert*

As for the actual Island. At the end I was quick to say that they had died originally and the island was a holding place of sorts, but someone (i think it was jack's dad) said that they died at different times so it's most likely that the island was real. Also, Hurley and Ben had an exchange at the church that suggested a long period of time before they died on the island.

I thought it was interesting that the man in black could be killed when the light at the center of the island went out. It was almost as if they were saying that the dark is nothing without it's contrast to the light.

*End Spoiler*

I know there are a ton of questions that will not be answered, but I knew that from the beginning of this season. All in all it was a great show that I enjoyed a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't watched any of it, but my wife has watched all of it. She's got the last episode on tape (yeah, we're still in VHS land). She has talked to me about it. Basically, my uninformed opinion is that the writers could say the same thing that Rick James did on the Chappelle Show:

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug."
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

It was a great show. Unique in many ways, with a lot of depth and thought-provoking scenarios. I found it just got better of the years.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the final episode was as good as they could do, given the number of story lines that the writers had to bring to closure. Never quite understood why the Others took the children, but maybe I missed some episodes that explained that.

One positive note: now that Lost is over, I'll have another hour on Tuesday nights to play guitar!
    Michael

Guitars: '82 Fender Strat, '75 Les Paul Std, Takamine Acoustic, Yamaha Classical

Amp: Egnater Tweaker

Effects: Digitech RP500

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mainestratman
    Honestly, I stopped watching it after the first season. As I *just* commented on a friend's Facebook, I think the show would have made a great mini-series or movie, but dragging it out over 6 years was just a little much, IMHO.
    That is EXACTLY what I've been saying for years!

One night I fell asleep on the couch and woke up in the middle of the night. ABC put together a mini-special with the entire season condensed into 2 hours. I thought it was a movie until it ended and then the trailer for "Lost Season 2" came out. I setup a season pass and after watching a couple of episodes I just couldn't take it anymore. Nothing on the island was happening and if I saw another flashback I was ready to hurl the TV out the window.

Maybe it's just me being picky but I laugh when I see these people who look perfect stuck on desert island. I mean c'mon... give some people some zits or poison ivy or something a regular joe would obviously come in contact with if you were stuck on an island for years!

Also... getting a van to run that was sitting for years in the jungle? Man, it's hard enough to getting my snow blower or lawn mower to get running after sitting for a season and that is with fuel stabilizer and summerization/winterization taken into account. Makes for a cool story line but I need shows to be believable.

Had this been a mini series like V or something they would have had me. It just felt like the writers were winging it as they went along, doing everything they could to stretch out the series IMHO.

<climbs off soapbox>
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

And after 6 years, Hurley should have lost SOME weight, maybe?
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box

Post Thanks / Like

I know a lot of people watch these shows, but I just don't get the appeal.

I find real life to be far more interesting...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vroomery
    I thought it was interesting that the man in black could be killed when the light at the center of the island went out. It was almost as if they were saying that the dark is nothing without it's contrast to the light.
    I finally watched the end
    http://abc.go.com/watch/lost/93372/261983/the-end

You have something there. In order to leave the island at last, the man appearing as Lock had to become mortal again, and the loss of light was the key. That was also his weakness, as we saw.

The people in the branch of their existence in the past (versus the more recent time when they lived without the crash) on the island who sacrificed their lives to bring the dark man down, had to do so to create the condition that later would keep the Ocianic flight from crashing.

The island should have sank to create the needed condition, however. So, perhaps the more recent experiences they had in the US weren't actually real, and all part of the after death gathering. Regardless of the different times they died, the gathering occured as if they were all dead at the same time. Such is post death in Hollywood. It gets a bit fuzzy here. When strangers touched and gained flashes of their other life connections and relations, were they alive, or where they in some after life?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    I find real life to be far more interesting...
    I completely agree. It's the same reason I never got into guitar hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps they all died in the plane crash. A story of lost souls trying to return their normal lives, but they had already died.

Getting off the island was the way for them to prove that they still existed. The sideweays flashes were the purgatory.

The line "you have to let go..." probably meant game over, and they went to heaven. They had all found peace.

Or is that too simple?

Post Thanks / Like

Robert.. that is the one theory that I've always thought was the absolute best explanation for everything... that everyone died in the crash, but those were the ones who refused to let go.

As J. O'Barr said in his original graphic novel of The Crow: "It's not death if you don't accept it."